Why are russian wresting so much better than american wrestling?

Aheyor

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not just looking at medal talleys at world championships and the olympics, russians just seem to have a more exciting and aggressive style of wrestling when it comes to MMA. compare khalibovs to colton smiths wrestling last night for instance

Can anyone ITK about amateur wrestling answer this question...is it different training,better trainers or whats the story?

Well, most American's start out training folkstyle wrestling, and do so for many years. Only a few transition to freestyle and greco, later in life, if they're serious about competing on the world stage. I suspect that other places teach their children freestyle and greco from the start, though I am not 100% sure.

TS needs some educating.

** Homework assignment ** - - do more extensive research.

Last edited:
What a strong sample size you are using. Why didn't you use jones or bendo as a comparison instead?

I dont know why they medal better in wrestling but Rustam Khabilov has a Sambo background.

In other countries they primarily do freestyle and greco-roman. These styles have very different scoring and put a bigger emphasis on explosiveness and big moves. There is also way less emphasis on mat work in these styles. In Folkstyle or Collegiate style, the primary American style, there is a much greater emphasis on mat work and scrambling, and while standing, or neutral, wrestling is emphasized, the types types of moves/finishes to takedowns are much different, many of which would cost a person points in freestyle and greco-roman.

Me think u mean y are Russian wrestling excitinger not gooder

im pretty sure the Russians have had a longer history with wrestling, and most of the time the wrestler you see from america competing in MMA are folk while the Russians are like greco or something, but the american fighters that do have a greco base to very well from what it seems (jon jones, randy, Hendo)

In other countries they primarily do freestyle and greco-roman. These styles have very different scoring and put a bigger emphasis on explosiveness and big moves. There is also way less emphasis on mat work in these styles. In Folkstyle or Collegiate style, the primary American style, there is a much greater emphasis on mat work and scrambling, and while standing, or neutral, wrestling is emphasized, the types types of moves/finishes to takedowns are much different, many of which would cost a person points in freestyle and greco-roman.

now thats the answer i was looking for

Here in turkey i have a lot of russian friends and they are really strong as hell

There are a lot of exciting American wrestlers in MMA! Varner and Burroughs won gold at the Olympics just this year and they are both exciting wrestlers too!

If MMA becomes big enough that some of the legitimate Russian wrestlers start taking it up, we could see some dominance.

Russian wrestling is an offshoot of Combat Sambo which is taught to Russian soldiers. American wrestling is not taught as a self defense technique and is a pure sport, so it's not as aggressive as its Russian counterpart.

Back