Why are people always concerned with PPV buys and drawing power?

welcometohavoc

Yellow Card
Yellow Card
Reaction score
I watch MMA because I like the fights, not because I enjoy crunching numbers like I'm playing MMA Promoter Simulator 2016. It shouldn't matter to you how many buys DJ does or how low the Fight Night attendance was. As long as the UFC remains profitable I don't care how much money Conor makes or how bad WMMA viewership is

In this new era what is important to a fighter be good and get what he deserves from his performances is his drawing power, that's what is important and that is what will be brought up in the discussions.

i actually hate this dimension of mma coverage. i dont give a fuck if nobody else watches the fights i watch, i just want to enjoy good fights. judging fighters by ppv numbers is like looking at justin biebers youtube views and calling him the best singer ever. its some retarded noob shit

It's more than just the UFC being profitable, they have to be very profitable to warehouse this many fighters. That's why it's so important for people like Conor and Ronda to sell, because they keep the other 500+ fighters we all love employed and happy. It's more than just being profitable, especially with WME taking on so much debt to buy the company.

Maybe there should be a Business sub-forum then

Maybe you should apply for an administrator/ web master role with Evolve and create one.

You also said "as long as the UFC remains profitable" -- wouldnt discussing the business side fall into that realm of your interest?

Last edited:
I agree. There should be a sub forum where people can discuss UFC business related stuff. When I read this forum I'm interested in fights and it's a bit tedious to see so many threads about ppv buys/ fighter pay/ biggest star etc.

8rWSPVW.gif

One reason:

Because Buys and Ratings determine what you're going to see more of or less of, and MMA fans care about what they're going to see in the future.

Some fans use a fighter's popularity to demonstrate (falsely) that said fighter is therefore better than less popular fighters.

Because they arent real fight fans.

One of my favorite fighters is mighty mouse and I dont give a fuck if Im the only one watching

Possibly due to the correlation between high $ numbers and epic match ups?

I think there is room to be interested in both. I also consider myself a fight fan, but I don't claim to not be interested in the inner workings of the industry. I don't actually care how many buys a card does, but since it has implications on future match making and card development, I pay attention.

Usually haters grasping for straws to bring down a certain fighters

The only reason it's brought up so much is so nuthuggers can pretend some fighters are better than they are by using popularity instead of fighting accomplishments.

Back