Why are people always concerned with PPV buys and drawing power?

There's lots of reasons I like to follow the business side of MMA.

1. UFC ain't the NFL, bad numbers can have serious implications down the line. The shows aren't a guarantee to draw ratings, and to survive UFC needs a strong TV deal

2. It gives a reasonable roadmap to what you will see down the line. Knowing the business of MMA makes it fairly easy to predict most of your upper card, or at least have a good idea.

3. It's interesting. Fight promotion is a very interesting business.

It doesn't change who I like as a fighter, it doesn't change what shows I'm gonna watch, I'm just fascinated by the ins and outs of fight promotion

Because when your boys getting shit on by Nate Diaz you have to come up with something else to make them seem good like ppv sales.

More people play MLB and Premiere League Management simulators than play any other type of sports game. In fact the numbers are only growing. People are interested in sports Management, so much so you can earn degrees in it now.

It's because if PPVs are doing terrible and only a select few fighters are making anything it stagnates the growth and evolution of the fighters as the best athletes go where the pay is better in different sports.

Low PPVs show that MMA isn't that popular and only select few fighters are cared to even be watched.

Because Americans are obsessed with capitalism and will only like stuff if everybody else likes it too. Like a big old sheep herd.

At least, thats the only reason I can think of that they obsess over people like Kim Kardashian and Justin Bieber.

One reason:

Because Buys and Ratings determine what you're going to see more of or less of, and MMA fans care about what they're going to see in the future.

If that were true they would have scrapped WMMA and the Flw division years ago

Because these things don't exist independently of the fighters or fights. It's not like we're watching an objectively ruled competition where everything is fair and based on accomplishment. We're watching some rich folks put together fights with the primary goal of making the most money by virtually whatever means possible and there are times that's going to shit on the competition aspect. I weep nightly for Demian Maia but it is what it is.

Back