Why are people always concerned with PPV buys and drawing power?

Because uncle Dana and McGregor told them this matters the most.

It's the best statistic you can have for seeing how our sport is doing from growth, popularity, relevance to the general public, what peaks interest, current standing, etc etc.. it's like the a health status report.

The more eyes means more money involved witch leads to more interest for athletes/fighters that could easily went in a different direction if the sport exposure wasn't there, if the gyms weren't opened, if the weekend didn't have the big MMA card etc etc.

A drawing sport impacts us the fans .. we are like a ecosystem that leads us the fans to more fights, better fighters a direct correlation to popularity and money involved in the sport.

Now you can realize this and care or don't .. depends if you are a big picture kind of person or you are interested more in the moment and don't care if 5 years later down the road you won't have MMA on TV.

Because unpopular fighters are unpopular for a reason.

Because they arent real fight fans.

One of my favorite fighters is mighty mouse and I dont give a fuck if Im the only one watching

Alright think about this for a little do you realize MM is in the UFC and you can see him there because of the UFC's strong brand that was built on the backs of draws, if the sport didn't get to this point where it can sustain a low draw like MM you wouldn't have seen him here.

Maybe in 5 years divisions like 125/135 would be better viewed and get better ratings and could maybe stand on their own feet or find their own polarizing stars that will bring attention/money/respect do those places to.

But the fact remains if the UFC didn't have draws like Chuck, GSP, Brock etc etc.. the need for having more cards and feeling more slots wouldn't be in place so no extra division and extra fighters like 125 and MM.

Last edited:
They want more money so better guys can make careers as fighters. Anderson silva almost started a car washing chain.

If you care about MMA and the UFC is particular then you should care about ratings and buys. They decide the fate of the company and the type of fights you watch.

WME is 4 billion in the hole and has to make money. Guys drawing 150k buys aren't helping. They need people making 500-2 million. Expect more freak show fights and nonsensical fights to draw money.

It would be fine if people didn't use it to disparage fighters, like if someone doesn't sell they spend the next six months talking about how no one cares about them etc. In that sense they are toxic to the growth of the sport and its fighters.

Alright think about this for a little do you realize MM is in the UFC and you can see him there because of the UFC's strong brand that was built on the backs of draws, if the sport didn't get to this point where it can sustain a low draw like MM you wouldn't have seen him here.

Maybe in 5 years divisions like 125/135 would be better viewed and get better ratings and could maybe stand on there own feet or find their own polarizing stars that will bring attention/money/respect do those places to.

But the fact remains if the UFC didn't have draws like Chuck, GSP, Brock etc etc.. the need for having more cards and feeling more slots wouldn't be in place so no extra division and extra fighters like 125 and MM.

Great post. Every single one of us has at least one fighter on the roster who doesn't earn for the UFC. If the UFC isn't healthy, all of those fighter go away and aren't fighting under the same banner anymore.

If you care about MMA and the UFC is particular then you should care about ratings and buys. They decide the fate of the company and the type of fights you watch.

WME is 4 billion in the hole and has to make money. Guys drawing 150k buys aren't helping. They need people making 500-2 million. Expect more freak show fights and nonsensical fights to draw money.
Guys drawing 150k could eventually draw 250k and then 350k and then 500k if we would talk positively about them instead of bury them right out the gate.

It's more than just the UFC being profitable, they have to be very profitable to warehouse this many fighters. That's why it's so important for people like Conor and Ronda to sell, because they keep the other 500+ fighters we all love employed and happy. It's more than just being profitable, especially with WME taking on so much debt to buy the company.

One reason:

Because Buys and Ratings determine what you're going to see more of or less of, and MMA fans care about what they're going to see in the future.

All this.

That's just some numbers to prove how popular a fighter is and how much money can bring. To be honest TS, just worry about the fights let uncle dana and ari worry about numbers and ppv buys.

Guys drawing 150k could eventually draw 250k and then 350k and then 500k if we would talk positively about them instead of bury them right out the gate.

or at least the UFC P.R office gives them some time to make promos and commercials.

Because a lot of people complain about "fairness", as if the UFC isn't a (sport AND entertainment) business, and should be run like a collegiate sport bracket tournament. It is an acknowledgment of reality and to a large degree, how it works.

I watch MMA because I like the fights, not because I enjoy crunching numbers like I'm playing MMA Promoter Simulator 2016. It shouldn't matter to you how many buys DJ does or how low the Fight Night attendance was. As long as the UFC remains profitable I don't care how much money Conor makes or how bad WMMA viewership is
You're 100% right! I always say the same as you said. I watch MMA for great fights not for the numbers. Who da fuck cares about numbers except owners and fighters? I think dumbs started talking bout numbers since Connie lost as an excuse. Dumb fucks.
Peace homie.

I watch MMA because I like the fights, not because I enjoy crunching numbers like I'm playing MMA Promoter Simulator 2016. It shouldn't matter to you how many buys DJ does or how low the Fight Night attendance was. As long as the UFC remains profitable I don't care how much money Conor makes or how bad WMMA viewership is

Wrong

The more money the UFC brings in, the more they can spread around and the more money they can spread around, the higher the quality of athlete they can attract to enter into the sport.

I don't really care about those things at all. They do however have an effect on fights, so I have to care.

It's used as an argument when you have no argument.

Everyone is different. Some of us have a deeper intellect. Its not a bif deal, theres room for everyone under this Tent. But if you feel more comfortable, i hear the zoo is nice. Retards like the zoo, right?

Back