Why Are Drugs and Alcohol Talked About Separately?

985862d2-a9fb-454d-a9ac-882a6a5eb6d8_text.gif

Well it is a drug kinda but people usually have a drug problem or specifically an alcohol problem

I am pro legalizing everything but watching the destruction of opiods recently I am not sure. I have watched people destroy theor l8fe and those of others they killed drinking and driving. On the other hand I have seen the impact of heroin addicts overdose dead on the spot. Alcohol doesn't regularly do that. Meaning instant death from a high dose taken accidentally.

I am pro legalizing everything but watching the destruction of opiods recently I am not sure. I have watched people destroy theor l8fe and those of others they killed drinking and driving. On the other hand I have seen the impact of heroin addicts overdose dead on the spot. Alcohol doesn't regularly do that. Meaning instant death from a high dose taken accidentally.
We can thank the Sackler family and Purdue pharma for introducing Oxycontin back in the mid 90's, lying about how that opiate isn't addictive and telling doctors to prescribe it to everyone. It is not so much the the destruction of opiates and opioids recently in that we are now seeing way more individuals overdosing and also dying because of heroin laced fentanyl and also people who think they are getting pure cocaine end up snorting and overdosing due fentanyl. For cocaine a lot of the time it is because dealers end up contaminating coke with fent when they go to package after not cleaning the area.

I will be 11 years clean from opiates/opioids and especially heroin in a couple months. When I was using unless I had a very low tolerance it was rare to overdose on heroin. Most of the times that I did it was because the amount I injected was more than I thought it was or I just got out of rehab and stupidly thought I could do the same amount I did before I went in. Now you are playing russian roulette if you don't get your shit tested. Also, people who are still using or have friends or family who are using should stock up on narcan.That is a life saver. The amount of friends who I lost to overdoses as a result of fentanyl laced heroin is way too high. Some will look at me and go are you fucking crazy but I do think we should have legalized places that give heroin to addicts, clean needles and also have people onsite to help those wanting to get clean. It is f'n depressing to see how fucked this country has become due to this perceived war on drugs. A war that has given rise to a flourishing illegal drug trade.

Alcohol is a drug is it not? I’ll never get this sort of conversation. Just asking as a fellow fan of both…

Alcohol is an "accepted" drug. It's the drug most people prescribe to and can't live without. It's the social drug of choice. Even thought it's the drug thats caused the most hardship, chaos and death in peoples lives in human history, you would get odd stares if you mention it in the same breathe as other hard drugs.

Reactions: HHJ
The main thing that differentiates the two is that alcohol can be enjoyed as a beverage with limited effects. In fact, this is the way that it is encouraged to be enjoyed (please drink responsibly). When it comes to other drugs, it's effect and effect only.

For reference, I'm a recovering drug addict/alcoholic, so I know very little about the above.

Plenty of "drugs" are often enjoyed in moderate doses...a single hit of weed, a bump of blow, a cig, etc. I haven't smoked weed to get stoned since I was a teenager. There's nothing special about alcohol that makes the two-beer buzz any different in intensity, compared to the aforementioned highs.

As others have alluded to, it's the stigma that is the difference, due to alcohol having been long ingrained into our social fabric, and it's status as being legal.

Ya, but instant death from heroin is one thing. Someone drinking and driving and crashing into a bus with kids, killing dozens within seconds, maiming others is far, far, far worse. People drinking and carelessly gambling their houses away and ruining their entire family. Drinking and terrorizing their families. All brutal. Several murders and rapes were attributed to alcohol consumption. Several serial killers sourced alcohol as fuel for their rage. Im positive that world leaders, kings, emperors and generals in history made rash decisions leading to war and death while sipping the sauce.

Alcohol is the single worst drug in the history of mankind by a massive stretch. Nothing comes remotely close.

Social acceptance.

You notice weed got in the same conversation with alcohol real quick when it became decriminalized in the US and legalized in Canada.

Because alcohol is American goddamnit, and drugs are Mexican, Chinese, and other countries

The DWI crash is what I referenced about destroying lives. That is not the norm. Where I live opioid overdose deaths are three times the murder rate. Silently it wipes people out on a daily basis. Most I assume are accidentally. done.

I am afraid this crap is going to make into the Marijuana supply and kill more. It is a massive money maker for the cartels shipping it north. All lab made like Meth.

Coffee to keep you awake long enough to do your job and alcohol on the weekends to help you forgot how much of a wage slave you are.

Plenty of "drugs" are often enjoyed in moderate doses...a single hit of weed, a bump of blow, a cig, etc. I haven't smoked weed to get stoned since I was a teenager. There's nothing special about alcohol that makes the two-beer buzz any different in intensity, compared to the aforementioned highs.

As others have alluded to, it's the stigma that is the difference, due to alcohol having been long ingrained into our social fabric, and it's status as being legal.
You can, and many do, drink alcohol primarily, if not solely, for the taste. It has two enjoyment functions. In fact, it's what determines alcohol's price (at least in theory). Other drugs have one function and one function only. If you want to buy a handle of Skol and compare it to a bag of weed or coke, then we can talk, but doing the same with a bottle of 16 year aged scotch is silly.

Already stated but also.
You can have a glas of wine or beer to a nice meal with friends.
A shot of heroine not so much.

Most people that screams about alcohol as a drug and why are they not seen as a drug are people doing drugs that... They just want to make their drug use look more acceptable.
Well its not you damn hippy junkies.

Because alcohol is a special part of our evolution.

Already stated but also.
You can have a glas of wine or beer to a nice meal with friends.
A shot of heroine not so much.

Most people that screams about alcohol as a drug and why are they not seen as a drug are people doing drugs that... They just want to make their drug use look more acceptable.
Well its not you damn hippy junkies.
It absolutley is a drug. So is coffee. These are just socially acceptable ones.

You can have a nice hit of weed at a meal with friends too. You can microdose shrooms and no one would ever be able to tell.

Back