Who's the highest level guy you've rolled with?

Jeff Glover - was super fun got me in all kinds of stuff but was mostly just flowing also took a private lesson and he is a great teacher and will exchange techniques he is very open minded , i had him in a shitty bow and arrow but i had the grip wrong so he was just hanging out letting me try and when i fixed the grip he said "well thats a different story" and immediately escaped haha

Bill Cooper - same day as Glover , also fun to roll with, he would put himself in bad positions just to escape i tried to attack but he pretty much just escaped everything i was a fresh purple at the time, i gassed pretty bad but he wouldnt let me quit he just kept it light

"crazy" Tim Creuder - he was just back from filming TUF and training with all those guys, so he just ran through the entire room and wrecked everyone, hes a really cool guy, they all roll pretty agressive but they dont crank or hold submissions after a tap, just very tough rolls, he caught me in a heel hook immediately, if you are ever in Lafayette stop by and train with him

Dustin Porier - Had him in a triangle, he picked me up to rampage slam me because i didnt hook the leg then set me down nicely and kept working, we were both white belts at the time

and the all highest level is definately
Carlos Machado - i rolled with him for the first time as a blue belt years ago and he just effortlessly shut down everything i did but complimented me for attempting the techniques we had been working,

fast forward to last month in Dallas, rolled with him as a Brown Belt and he passed my guard mounted me and shoulder lock, over and over, and that was the sequence he taught in the class about 30 min before, i felt deflated afterwards his pressure is ridiculous but hes insanely smooth when he rolls

That sounds like Glover. he did something similar when I tried to triangle him. Are Creder and Porier at the same gym?

That sounds like Glover. he did something similar when I tried to triangle him. Are Creder and Porier at the same gym?

this was years ago at a brown belt under Tim's gym in Lafayette, Tim hadnt opened a school in lafayette at the time i believe his school was in the next little town. i had moved from TX and was only in Lafayette for a few months, but he came and trained with us when we got back from Vegas

Rolled with? My instructor.

I did do a few drills with mackenzie like once when I trained at Megatons back in 07', she was a blue belt... and Renzo had me do a triangle on him to see if I was doing the drill right, didnt roll with either though.

Yeah man the parrying and footwork is some of what I thought was crazy and damn near impossible to mimic. I did not notice the knees pointed inwards, and the moving off inside blades of his feet. I think I looked ridiculous in open guard trying to move my hips fast enough to even try to keep up with that side to side passing movement.

I've noticed lucas lepri also tends to use that same sort of 'knock kneed' stance when passing standing.

I've had the pleasure to roll with a decent amount of high level guys.

Garry Tonon is fun. I've rolled with him a bunch at his NJ school. He'll let you work for the first half of the round and then he'll just turn it on towards the end. Always calm and fluid in his rolls. You can feel him improvising mid-roll.

Eddie Cummings is as advertised. He'll leglock you and keep leglocking you if he sees you aren't changing your behavior. And then if you start hiding your legs a little too much, he'll hunt chokes and back control. His front head control is crazy. And he has ridiculously underrated guard retention. It's silly the way I've seen him able to maintain guard against huge grapplers.

The most helpless I ever feel is when I roll with Rolles Gracie. He's huge, fluid and no matter what I'm doing an alarm bell is blaring in my head. His pressure is absurd.

Vitor Shaolin-his aggression, speed, and timing are otherworldly along with his pressure. Combined with the fact he is about 10 steps ahead of you. If you manage to make him move, he is able to adjust and use it to his advantage

Cobrinha-Feels solid as a rock and immovable. WHen he starts moving, its a blur. He is such a technician there's basically nothing you can do to surprise him

Rafa Mendes-You don't notice how strong he is but he feels really wiry and flexible. It feels as if he's oozing around you as he takes your back. Very fast

Marcelo Garcia-his pressure and speed is frightening. WHen he has back control on you, the pressure he exerts with his seatbelt grip feels as if someone is putting immense side control pressure on your chest. I was in awe when I first rolled with him and wasn't going too hard. He told me to attack him 100% and to stop holding back. I tried to bring my A game and he effortlessly tapped me nearly 30 times in a 8 minute round. Really good guy

Regis Lebre-Will give you the most mercilessly intense grappling beatdown of your life.

Oswaldo Quexinho-felt very strong for a light feather weight. His speed makes him feel even physically stronger than he is

Bruno Malfacine-yes, he is fast but that's not the main thing I noticed training with him. The first thing that caught my attention is his sense of timing. He just happens to feel like he does the correct technique at just the right time as you decide to make a move. We are about the same weight and his physical strength feels about average for his size. His speed and timing is spot on

When it really sucks is when you're good enough to know when you're being set up, but you can't stop it. Such dread.

This! I train with some pretty high level judoka (of which I am most definitely not one) and that feeling is both humbling and awe inspiring. You can feel them moving you into position and know you're not mentally quick enough to do anything about it let alone technically skilled enough to counter it.

Our instructor has competed at the world masters and we have some former European champions who train with us occasionally. They are very impressive and can throw someone like me with pretty much any technique they choose. Sometimes the instructor will name the technique he is going to use and the exact place on the mat where the other guy is going to land before the randori starts and can pull this off against dan grades who compete internationally.

The highest level guy we've ever had at our club is Ben Quilter but I've never practiced with him, unfortunately.

Cool, name dropping thread...:) Lots of famous names and some world champs for me. I fell in love with getting my butt kicked. I appreciate all those names who have helped me along the way. Caio Terra was my daily beatdown for about 4 years. He's pretty good...

Quiexiono is my coach now. He's not bad either.

I've always found him just as awesome to watch as his brother Jean Jacques. I just wish there was more footage out there or Carlos
He does everything with no effort. After he had smashed me there was a visiting blackbelt (I believe he was a 2nd or 3rd stripe BB) who is a serious force in the competition world. BB at tournaments almost never pass his guard and he told Carlos jokingly "try to pass my guard old man".

Carlos with virtually no effort passed his guard at will and toyed with him (he would take side control and purposely go back into guard just so he could pass again). The entire round was Carlos passing into side control literally 3 times a minute

He does everything with no effort. After he had smashed me there was a visiting blackbelt (I believe he was a 2nd or 3rd stripe BB) who is a serious force in the competition world. BB at tournaments almost never pass his guard and he told Carlos jokingly "try to pass my guard old man".

Carlos with virtually no effort passed his guard at will and toyed with him (he would take side control and purposely go back into guard just so he could pass again). The entire round was Carlos passing into side control literally 3 times a minute

Just say who it was already, you tease.

Braga Neto years back at Gordo's

Ryan Hall a few years back.

Einemo and Lister. But I use the term "rolled" in it's absolutely widest sense, as I'm a moderately-sized bluebelt.

Einemo and Lister. But I use the term "rolled" in it's absolutely widest sense, as I'm a moderately-sized bluebelt.

I know what you mean.

One of the highest level guys I've rolled with was Jacen Flynn who went 1-1 with Lister in MMA and subbed denis Kang and edwin dewees.
He was 210 and I was 130lbs at the time.

Joao Assis, and Lucas Leite. Checkmat! :D

Joao has effortless takedowns and is almost impossible to pull guard on. Hes super human strong but doesnt use his power. The most top pressure I have ever been subjected to and flattens you like a steam roller at will.

Lucas was blazing fast and one of the strongest individuals you can lock horns with despite being a middleweight.

I was puty in the hands of either of them.

Respect.

All footage i have seen of him is super smooth. Wish there was more of it out there

Back