Who's the highest level guy you've rolled with?

I like the way you describe how it felt to roll with these guys. Cool description.

Thx! I tried. It's hard to describe training with people that are that good without it all sounding repetitive. There's only so many ways to describe something that's so rooted in feel. Most of what you feel rolling with crazy good grapplers can't be written all that easy. I think it gets easier to describe the better you get. I rolled with a few really awesome dudes really early on and I just remember getting my ass kicked. They'd still kick my ass but I'd just be able to maybe explain it better

:icon_chee

It's my dream to roll with Dan thewolf man.com

Last edited:
Werdum, Estima, Xande, Saulo, Roger Gracie, Bravo, Gokor, Marco Machado, Fabiano Scherner,

Toita, Monma, Okami, Akiyama, Karen D.,

Ishii, Takimoto

Chael, Herman, Hughes, Pierce, Fitch, Cain, Akbari, Rampage, Tito,

Just some of top of head

How'd you do against Braulio, and Roger? looking for honesty here Dan:D:):p

Jeff Glover was very flowy and fast but also the most unexpectedly ruthless roll I've ever had. All these small dudes that scramble well you expect to be able to also move with them but the pressure is always more than you expect. I got thrown and taken down more than I thought I would with Glover, & besides what you'd expect him to get taps with I also got tapped with a Bas Rutten neck crank and some pro wrestling moves like the camel clutch, crippler crossface, and a half boston crab.

Hahaha thats awesome.

Sounds like a fun roll heh.

Cobrinha, Lepri, Romulo, Jean Jacques Machado, Babalu

Keep reading in guys posts that have rolled with Cobrinha how unreal his pressure is. crazy how a little guy can exude that much pressure. i'm a very big dude and I know that feeling of all my years of bench curl failing me against high level grapplers were you cant even get to a got damn hip without almost going into spaz territory.

oh well my active competing days are over so as a hobbyist I shouldn't feel to bad when I get violated on the mats by former NCAA wrestling champs and competition browns and blacks.

Last edited:
@mataleos. completely agree with these elite 170lb and under dudes with this body pressure and control that make them feel like a GD sumo wrestler is on top of you.

i'd love to roll with Glover one day. I dropped into Ryan Halls school in Arlington about a year and a half ago. got to roll with a lot of his bigger guys in NOGI but for some reason he wasn't rolling at all that session. still was a good time just too damn hot up in there.

How'd you do against Braulio, and Roger? looking for honesty here Dan:D:):p

I mentioned both in vids before. Both were MMA sparring at Black House. Braulio just once GnP. Roger I sparred a lot big gloves starting on feet. Got one pic where we are in background of a Machida sweep sparring. Not sure if the time Roger choked me out was big or small gloves.

Braulio-Had just flown in all night or morning so was gassing, last round of day, GnP him hitting him light but was able to beat him up land punches good for maybe 3-4 min....was just taking it easy could tell he was gassed and he was super nice and seemed kinda new to the MMA game. He spun under and my glove got caught in a very strange ude garami.....kinda weird, glove trapped under his knee maybe arm position like the Mir/williams armlock.....so I just tapped....was sorta iffy.

Roger one time got on top of me, I went lockdown, he I believe put his head and arm switched to the other side, and choked me the f out w shoulder Presh.... I talked about in my killing the lockdown vid but I lost that vid and need to refilm. Had the most awesome floating dream for a few.....

so jealous of you guys.

I attended a seminar that Royce Gracie taught.

I didnt get a chance to roll with him but he yelled at me for my sloppy shrimping.

does that count?

GSP, Firas Zahabi, Rory Macdonald, Ivan menjivar, Mike Bisping, Rampage Jackson (he sacked tapped me real hard and was laughing his ass off), Ross Pearson, Scott Epstein, Ian Freeman.

Roger, Braulio, Lagarto, Keenan, Rafa, Bernardo, Cara de Sapato, Marcos Souza, JT, Lepri, Langhi, Clark, Vinicius Marinho, Gabriel Rollo, DJ Jackson, Caio Terra, Samir Chantre, Jake MacKenzie, Ryan Hall, Popovitch, Samuel Braga, Vitor Oliveira, Trans, Otavio, Tanner Rice, Lucas Rocha, AJ, Eddie Bravo, Robson Moura.

I...think that covers it. Now the *cough* bragging is over (they all beat me up to varying degrees) ...

Caio, Braulio, Roger, Popovitch and Rafa all felt ridiculously next level to me. But again a lot of those are in competition and some are in training so that kind of changes things. I know a few of the really good guys changed their game in rolling to give me more of a chance to work so it's kind of hard to judge. I only realised a little while in that Trans was being nice to me and could have just stood up with me anytime.

Last edited:
Roger, Braulio, Lagarto, Keenan, Rafa, Bernardo, Cara de Sapato, Marcos Souza, JT, Lepri, Langhi, Clark, Vinicius Marinho, Gabriel Rollo, DJ Jackson, Caio Terra, Samir Chantre, Jake MacKenzie, Ryan Hall, Popovitch, Samuel Braga, Vitor Oliveira, Trans, Otavio, Tanner Rice, Lucas Rocha, AJ, Eddie Bravo, Robson Moura.

I...think that covers it. Now the *cough* bragging is over (they all beat me up to varying degrees) ...

Caio, Braulio, Roger, Popovitch and Rafa all felt ridiculously next level to me. But again a lot of those are in competition and some are in training so that kind of changes things. I know a few of the really good guys changed their game in rolling to give me more of a chance to work so it's kind of hard to judge. I only realised a little while in that Trans was being nice to me and could have just stood up with me anytime.

That's a helluva list bro.mi see you're in England do train at Rogers place? A yes or a no won't compromise your sherdog anonymity too much lol

I mentioned both in vids before. Both were MMA sparring at Black House. Braulio just once GnP. Roger I sparred a lot big gloves starting on feet. Got one pic where we are in background of a Machida sweep sparring. Not sure if the time Roger choked me out was big or small gloves.

Braulio-Had just flown in all night or morning so was gassing, last round of day, GnP him hitting him light but was able to beat him up land punches good for maybe 3-4 min....was just taking it easy could tell he was gassed and he was super nice and seemed kinda new to the MMA game. He spun under and my glove got caught in a very strange ude garami.....kinda weird, glove trapped under his knee maybe arm position like the Mir/williams armlock.....so I just tapped....was sorta iffy.

Roger one time got on top of me, I went lockdown, he I believe put his head and arm switched to the other side, and choked me the f out w shoulder Presh.... I talked about in my killing the lockdown vid but I lost that vid and need to refilm. Had the most awesome floating dream for a few.....

Damn bro so in your opinion is Braulio estima a good MMA prospect. jacare has obv been the most elite bjj player that has had the most success in mma in my opinion if we're not counting Jose Aldo.

I remember being stoked that Marcelo was making the transition to mma but much like graber Ibrahim he may have gotten a guy with too much exp.

Here's to hoping Ryan hall wins tuff and makes a splash in the UFC.

That's a helluva list bro.mi see you're in England do train at Rogers place? A yes or a no won't compromise your sherdog anonymity too much lol

Lol you realize his user name is his real name?

You competed against some of those guys? Hespect.

I've competed against Monson, Assis, Lovato Jr, and Alexander Trans. Biggest names I've competed against so far. All beat me on points, except Assis, he beat me on a small advantage. That was before he became a superstar though, he was already a blackbelt, but not the beast that he has become now.

damn spoon you been around man I see you didt put danthewolfman on that list. anyway what was rolling with Werdum like?

Werdum was fresh off of his ADCC 2009 win so he beat me pretty easily, tapped me about 3 times in 10-12 minutes. He armbarred me from mount with a slick set up that I still use today. He was training for his fight with Bigfoot in Strikeforce at that time. There is vid of it floating around on youtube. just type in "Werdum trains for Bigfoot", there are some clips of the roll spliced in there. funny story, the day before that roll, I did some MMA training with him and other MMA fighters, I was able to sweep him during the MMA training but in the ensuing scramble after the sweep, his eye socket hit me knee and I cut him pretty bad. You can see the stitches in the video.

I almost said my instructor Diego Gamonal but then I realized that in the 8 months I trained there he didn't roll with me once.

In terms of highest in rank it would be Carlos Machado (8th degree).

He spent the whole 10 minutes transitioning the same 3 submissions back and forth (I had nothing, the guy was a freak)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back