Who's the highest level guy you've rolled with?

Jack Handy jr

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
or wrestled, or Judo'ed? were you completely destroyed or did you do okay?

The Best overall grappler I've ever rolled with was Mark Munoz and I completely tooled his ass:cool:. seriously I got twerked/ destroyed.:wink:

Probably Roger Gracie, and i guess i dont need to say what happened, but pass -> mount -> choke haha :icon_chee:icon_chee

Andre Galvao. He played with me for about 3 minutes, then it took him maybe 30 seconds of actually trying to sub me. I'm quite proud of those 30 seconds :)

Didn't get to roll with Roger at his seminar unfortunately, it was a Monday night class and we finished too late. Was bummed.

In Judo, a guy who comes to my dojo sometimes is Djamaldin Aliev who is I believe a 4 time national champ, I've actually done randori with a number of national and international medalists when they come up from the OTC in Colorado Springs. It's never fun. I can't get a grip much less make them take a step.

Terere, Galvao, Yuri Simoes, Eduardo Telles, Braga Neto, Gordo, Mario Sperry, Dean Lister, JT Torres, Mike Fowler, Travis Stevens, Kit Dale, Yan Cabral....had the pleasue of being twisted up by all of these monsters over the years

Probably Durinho Burns, when I was a white belt who'd be training for about 14 months about 6 years ago. That guy had zero chill and smashed me mericilessly, same with Rodrigo Caporal. They were not taking it easy at all, it was pretty brutal.

Got Omoplata'd by Clarke Gracie also, that was pretty cool. Needless to say his control from that position was pretty impressive as was his whole game. Seeing him effortlessly manhandle training partners that would dominate me was pretty awe-inspiring.

Probably Roger Gracie, and i guess i dont need to say what happened, but pass -> mount -> choke haha :icon_chee:icon_chee

No probably bro he's def the highest guy you've rolled with. unless you ever roll with me:mad: seriously was Roger really strong or just super technical. I only ask because it seemed he may be lacking a bit of strength from the Tim Kennedy loss were he had tim in some bad positions.

Frank shamrock, probably a decade ago when I was just learning Bjj out of the royler / renzo book. Royler demonstrated some techniques on me at a seminar, but I didn't get to roll. More recently, probably Eric "red" Schafer who toys with me.

Andre Galvao. He played with me for about 3 minutes, then it took him maybe 30 seconds of actually trying to sub me. I'm quite proud of those 30 seconds :)

Didn't get to roll with Roger at his seminar unfortunately, it was a Monday night class and we finished too late. Was bummed.

In Judo, a guy who comes to my dojo sometimes is Djamaldin Aliev who is I believe a 4 time national champ, I've actually done randori with a number of national and international medalists when they come up from the OTC in Colorado Springs. It's never fun. I can't get a grip much less make them take a step.

Galvo seems like he'd be a got damn nightmare to even "casually" flow roll with. I mean he's just a ball of steel muscle with flawless technique.

I tried my hand in Judo I just gas to bad trying to break grips. and coming from a strictly NO GI back ground. I just wasn't use to having my limbs controlled like that. so I went back to my comfort zone :Dlol.

that said I was going against a couple bigguns but they were only green belts in judo. couldn't imagine what going with a national champ would've been like.

Terere, Galvao, Yuri Simoes, Eduardo Telles, Braga Neto, Gordo, Mario Sperry, Dean Lister, JT Torres, Mike Fowler, Travis Stevens, Kit Dale, Yan Cabral....had the pleasue of being twisted up by all of these monsters over the years

Lister doesn't seem to friendly. is he a phallus to roll with or is he cool?

The only world champion Judoka I've done randori with was Craig Fallon in newaza, I played bottom and he passed my guard after a minute or so, I'd have probably done a little better on top as my bottom game sucks.

He felt around purple belt level.

I've done tachiwaza with lots of international guys but no other world champions yet.

EDIT: Should probably also mention that I have some weight on him.

Last edited:
Probably Durinho Burns, when I was a white belt who'd be training for about 14 months about 6 years ago. That guy had zero chill and smashed me mericilessly, same with Rodrigo Caporal. They were not taking it easy at all, it was pretty brutal.

Got Omoplata'd by Clarke Gracie also, that was pretty cool. Needless to say his control from that position was pretty impressive as was his whole game. Seeing him effortlessly manhandle training partners that would dominate me was pretty awe-inspiring.

That's a recurring theme I've heard guys say when rolling with "names" or really high level/famous BJJ players. they seem to not go easy on dudes. I'm not saying a guy like Burns should let a guy tap him but take boxing. if I had to spar with one of the Klitchko's I would'nt expect them to give me a concussion if I was basically a beginner that is.

I've heard Josh Barnett and Frank mir are known for this. When I got the opportunity to do a few rolls with Mark yeah he destroyed me and my ninth grade level of wrestling. but he wasn't a Richard about it he even told me what to work on after the roll.

Frank shamrock, probably a decade ago when I was just learning Bjj out of the royler / renzo book. Royler demonstrated some techniques on me at a seminar, but I didn't get to roll. More recently, probably Eric "red" Schafer who toys with me.

Frank Seems more level headed than Ken. Ken Shamrock like Palhares is simply someone I wouldn't roll with as a hobbyist.

The only world champion Judoka I've done randori with was Craig Fallon in newaza, I played bottom and he passed my guard after a minute or so, I'd have probably done a little better on top as my bottom game sucks.

He felt around purple belt level.

I've done tachiwaza with lots of international guys but no other world champions yet.

I know it's been predicted and debated on sherdog since Karo was tearing it up and repping Judo hard in the cage. that elite Judo Guys with elite Bjj would one day be as normal as elite or good wrestlers with good BJJ are now.

I think a lot of Elite Judo guys are going to follow Rhonda's path and go into MMA in the near future. the IJF unless your Teddi Riner just doesn't pay enough even Riner's income if mem serves is mostly endorsements.

that said I'd love to see that fool do his thing in the cage.

Galvo seems like he'd be a got damn nightmare to even "casually" flow roll with. I mean he's just a ball of steel muscle with flawless technique.

I tried my hand in Judo I just gas to bad trying to break grips. and coming from a strictly NO GI back ground. I just wasn't use to having my limbs controlled like that. so I went back to my comfort zone :Dlol.

that said I was going against a couple bigguns but they were only green belts in judo. couldn't imagine what going with a national champ would've been like.

You try to make sure that when he throws you you can take a safe fall. Avoid concussions. When it really sucks is when you're good enough to know when you're being set up, but you can't stop it. Such dread.

I know it's been predicted and debated on sherdog since Karo was tearing it up and repping Judo hard in the cage. that elite Judo Guys with elite Bjj would one day be as normal as elite or good wrestlers with good BJJ are now.

I think a lot of Elite Judo guys are going to follow Rhonda's path and go into MMA in the near future. the IJF unless your Teddi Riner just doesn't pay enough even Riner's income if mem serves is mostly endorsements.

that said I'd love to see that fool do his thing in the cage.

If Teddy Riner decided to give up Judo and concentrate on MMA, he'd be UFC HW champ in two years at most. He's as athletic as Jon Jones in a division that's even less athletic than LHW, and he's much, much bigger than any of the current top guys (6'8" 289 lbs). It would basically be like Lebron James coming to MMA from an elite combat sports background.

It's hard to not say the smaller guys like the Mendes brothers, Durinho, Cobrinha, and Jeff Glover.

Gui had the most soul crushing feeling of just sinking and sinking until you were drowned. Rafa was a little more playful but when he executed it was hard fast and precise.

Durinho was kind of hard to explain. Didn't get to roll that much with him. Cobrinha was very smooth but the pressure was arguably the most I've ever felt. It's oversimplified but he almost felt like a cross between Rafa's speedy quickness & Gui's smashing pressure.

Jeff Glover was very flowy and fast but also the most unexpectedly ruthless roll I've ever had. All these small dudes that scramble well you expect to be able to also move with them but the pressure is always more than you expect. I got thrown and taken down more than I thought I would with Glover, & besides what you'd expect him to get taps with I also got tapped with a Bas Rutten neck crank and some pro wrestling moves like the camel clutch, crippler crossface, and a half boston crab.

If Teddy Riner decided to give up Judo and concentrate on MMA, he'd be UFC HW champ in two years at most. He's as athletic as Jon Jones in a division that's even less athletic than LHW, and he's much, much bigger than any of the current top guys (6'8" 289 lbs). It would basically be like Lebron James coming to MMA from an elite combat sports background.

Yeah I lurked a thread about Riner months back when guys were debating how he'd do if Karo could throw welter weights the way he did and karo wasn't exactly a physical specimen. I can only Imagine what Riner could do. hope somebody throws a massive pile of cash his way and he gives it a shot.

the only caution I would have is that he doesn't end up fighting an opponent like Gaber Ibrahim did in his first MMA match sure Ibrahim was a gold medalist but he shouldn't have fought Fujita.

My fantasy Matchup would be Riner vs Kongo for bragging rights sake.:icon_chee

It's hard to not say the smaller guys like the Mendes brothers, Durinho, Cobrinha, and Jeff Glover.

Gui had the most soul crushing feeling of just sinking and sinking until you were drowned. Rafa was a little more playful but when he executed it was hard fast and precise.

Durinho was kind of hard to explain. Didn't get to roll that much with him. Cobrinha was very smooth but the pressure was arguably the most I've ever felt. It's oversimplified but he almost felt like a cross between Rafa's speedy quickness & Gui's smashing pressure.

Jeff Glover was very flowy and fast but also the most unexpectedly ruthless roll I've ever had. All these small dudes that scramble well you expect to be able to also move with them but the pressure is always more than you expect. I got thrown and taken down more than I thought I would with Glover, & besides what you'd expect him to get taps with I also got tapped with a Bas Rutten neck crank and some pro wrestling moves like the camel clutch, crippler crossface, and a half boston crab.

see I disagrere with a guy with Glovers ability doing moves like that are they legit Catch wrestling type things yeah I guess. but I wouldn't want Cyborg Abreau putting me in the crippler cross face just because he could do it.

i think Teddy's afraid of getting hurt. which is legit. probably doesn't want to bother. you've gotta love humble pie to come down off an ivory tower that high and start grinding away at a new sport.

Back