Who's Better in the Scramble Than Dan Henderson?

Aldo when hes not getting koed by conor
aldo-knee-comp.gif

Aldo would put wrestlers on their back with a push

José Aldo jr. Prime Aldo was impossible to get a hold of because of how explosive and strong he was/is in clinches
Aldo right now is still seemingly a nightmare to get a hold of, he seems to shuck off grappling exchanges out of offense that they would touch him

In his last fight, Khabib shot a TD on Gaethje. Gaethje stuffed it. In less than 4 seconds, Khabib went from having a TD stuffed to getting mount.

I love Hendo. His career is legendary and he belongs up there with the best of the best on all-time lists.

But Khabib was far better in scrambles. He never accepted a bad position and always worked to improve his position. He never stopped working. He was doing 5 things at once all the time to maintain and improve his position. Nobody else can do that - or at least, we haven't seen it yet.

This. See the Trujillo fight or the Gaethje fight. He may not be the best, but certainly one of the more fluid fighters.

Aldo right now is still seemingly a nightmare to get a hold of, he seems to shuck off grappling exchanges out of offense that they would touch him

Yup he is incredible at shucking opponents off him whenever they wanted to clinch with him

But Khabib was far better in scrambles. He never accepted a bad position and always worked to improve his position. He never stopped working. He was doing 5 things at once all the time to maintain and improve his position. Nobody else can do that - or at least, we haven't seen it yet.

I think in terms of position he does have a good case for being the best ever.

Hendo may not be your favorite fighter; in fact, some of you Zoomers may only know him as the guy who beat Bisping (twice), but he has some of the greatest victories while scrambling. These improvised moments are a testament to Dan's deviled fighting skills. Even as a shell of his former self, he was extremely dangerous in these sizzling situations. Who is else is harder to beat in the scramble? I challenge you to find someone better in that regard.

Here are just a few examples of the competition Hendo has cracked:

Fedor -- as your beloved Fedor was getting up, Hendo whisked him from behind and hatched a vicious, unexpected KO.

Hector Lombard -- while Lombard was holding his leg, Hendo missed with a hard-boiled H-bomb, but on the recoil of his punch, he elbowed the shit out of him.

Shogun -- Hendo straight up yolked Shogun after nearly being finished early on.

Babalu -- after flipping around and avoiding upkicks, Hendo cracked him open with punches.

Bisping 2 -- even though the victory was poached from ol' Dan, he had some ecstatic moments in the clinch, and battered Bisping's face.

He got molested by Shields on the ground

Those KOs are valid points, but it's hard for me to say a man with a steel rod for a back was the best at scrambles.

Back