Who's better? Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi?

Who's the better soccer player?

• Total voters
Reading my post back, interesting that only one of those 4 isn’t an obvious PED user.

Messi is notably better than C Ronaldo, especially now. C. Ronaldo isn't even top 50 in the world now. Messi is top 5 still.

Career wise Messi always been a better player but C Ronaldo has had some very good seasons and has a great career.

Anyone who voted Ronaldo want to change their vote? I know it became all the rage a few years ago when he was hot. I mean, it got really ridiculous. LOL, remember this thread? People were trying to compare Ronaldo to Jordan, FFS.
Who is more impressive, Jordan or CR7?
{<jordan}

Fast forward to today's WC. Ronaldo gets subbed, throws a tantrum, but the Portugal coach is one of the few remaining coaches in the world of elite sports with a set of balls, so he benches the prima donna in their first R16 elimination game. What's the result? Ronaldo's sub scores a hat trick and has an assist in the game against Switzerland. Ronaldo didn't score a goal or get an assist in the entire group stage, LOL. Meanwhile, Messi trails only Mbappe for the Golden Boot with 3 goals, and also has an assist.

I don't even care about soccer, but there's something so satisfying about seeing an overrated diva get his comeuppance on the grandest stage imaginable.

Ronaldo didn't score a goal or get an assist in the entire group stage,
Not true but not surprising that you don't watch football. Also you might be clinically retarded.

*adds vote for Ronaldo*
FuuF.gif

Anyone voting Ronaldo has no understanding of football

there shouldn’t even be a debate

Anyone who voted Ronaldo want to change their vote? I know it became all the rage a few years ago when he was hot. I mean, it got really ridiculous. LOL, remember this thread? People were trying to compare Ronaldo to Jordan, FFS.
{<jordan}

Fast forward to today's WC. Ronaldo gets subbed, throws a tantrum, but the Portugal coach is one of the few remaining coaches in the world of elite sports with a set of balls, so he benches the prima donna in their first R16 elimination game. What's the result? Ronaldo's sub scores a hat trick and has an assist in the game against Switzerland. Ronaldo didn't score a goal or get an assist in the entire group stage, LOL. Meanwhile, Messi trails only Mbappe for the Golden Boot with 3 goals, and also has an assist.

I don't even care about soccer, but there's something so satisfying about seeing an overrated diva get his comeuppance on the grandest stage imaginable.

Messi has pretty much always been a better player than CR7, though that guy was wrong, because CR7 is also a massive douchebag, and it was already obvious when he made his post.
But... Ronaldo is a much more impressive athlete than anything the US has ever produced.
NBA revenue passed $10 billion for the first time last season. Do you know what also happened for the first time? There were no Americans in the top 3 in MVP voting.
Just like with boxing; the talent pool got larger and the Americans stopped being able to compete.
We can easily extrapolate that if you dropped Michael Fraudon in the modern NBA, with improved international competition, he perhaps would never have really challenged the very best; i.e. Europeans and Africans.
Bearing in mind, basketball arguably isn't even a top 5 sport in Europe or Africa, whereas soccer is easily the #1.

Also, Jordan played his last NBA playoff game aged 35, Ronaldo played on a much bigger stage, as a 37 year old.

The US media likes to pretend the 1992 Dream Team was a huge global event, when in reality, it was a blip on the radar, about half as big as the Cricket World Cup in the same year.

1994 World Cup - 21.4m Wikipedia pageviews.
1990 World Cup - 18.3m Wikipedia pageviews.
1992 Olympic Basketball - 1.5m Wikipedia pageviews.

Jordan was competing against a comically small talent pool, hell, even the 1930 World Cup was way bigger, with 12.8m Wikipedia pageviews.

Historically speaking, Canada has produced the 2nd most NBA players, but I'd bet even there, more black people play soccer than basketball; when you consider Jamaicans, Africans, Haitians etc.

Last edited:
whoever wins this world cup, argentina or portugal, settles it.

But... Ronaldo is a much more impressive athlete than anything the US has ever produced.
{<jordan}

28" vertical leap. And it had the soccer world's mouth agape. It's staggering how D-level the athleticism in that sport is.

{<jordan}

Messi is the better player of the two but how Ronaldo is performing now is pretty irrelevant in terms of claiming he's overrated. He's 37 years old. Hardly anyone is still performing at a high level at that age.

Ronaldo and Jordan are pretty similar actually

{<jordan}

28" vertical leap. And it had the soccer world's mouth agape. It's staggering how D-level the athleticism in that sport is.

Let me know when an American wins the NBA MVP; Euros have won the last 4 and are favored for the top 3 next time.

Reactions: DS7
Let me know when an American wins the NBA MVP; Euros have won the last 4 and are favored for the top 3 next time.
Poor mericans, the NBA top 5 players is like all europeans lmfao

and the next MVP is most likely going to another european as Doncic is the clear favorite and one of the contenders is also Giannis. I remember the days when mericans would talk shit about Doncic and that he shouldn't be near the 1# overall draft pick.

{<jordan}

If vertical leap is the metric you value, then no US-born athlete even cracks the top 5.

If vertical leap is the metric you value, then no US-born athlete even cracks the top 5.
High jump ≠ Vertical leap

Nor does this deflection redeem Ronaldo's pitiful athleticism which you asserted was greater than any American athlete's. Ronaldo isn't Sotomayor.

Back