Who's better? Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi?

Who's the better soccer player?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Who's the better soccer player?

Last edited:
Messi is the better player

Ronaldo will have the better legacy

What’s impressive to me is that it feels like people have been asking this same question for ten years. Crazy that both these guys have been so outstanding for so long

Ronaldo can always point to the fact he won the league in 4 different countries, as well as a major international title. For all Messi’s artistry and majesty, that remains the one question mark over his career.

What’s impressive to me is that it feels like people have been asking this same question for ten years. Crazy that both these guys have been so outstanding for so long
Cristiano: 9 seasons with 40+ goals.
Messi: 10 seasons with 40+ goals.

Before these two came along, 30 goals for a nr 9 was considered a great season.

Ronaldo can always point to the fact he won the league in 4 different countries, as well as a major international title. For all Messi’s artistry and majesty, that remains the one question mark over his career.
Um, he hasn't won in 4 different countries.
He and Messi played in the same league for over half a decade, Messi was the better player. It's not a question. winning the title at Juventus is a joke, literally no one cares.

Messi is better but it's insanely impressive how Ronaldo has managed to close the huge gap in natural talent through hard work, self belief and determination.

Messi is the GOAT and Ronaldo is #2

Um, he hasn't won in 4 different countries.
He and Messi played in the same league for over half a decade, Messi was the better player. It's not a question. winning the title at Juventus is a joke, literally no one cares.

Hmm... thought he’d won the title with Sporting, appears not.

“Literally” one cares about a Scudetto? Righto.

As for Messi being better than Ronaldo by dint of Barcelona’s superiority over Real, that rather ignores several facts:

1) that Barcelona provided the key players to the Spainside that won 3 consecutive international titles. Managed okay without Messi, didn’t they.

2) Ronaldo won an international title playing with Ricardo Quaresma and Joao Mario. He also won the CL playing alongside Anderson and John O’Shea.

Cristiano does 5 tricks to dribble past one player, Messi does 1 trick to dribble past 5 players.
Cristiano may be the best player on the Planet but Messi is an alien.

For me there has never been the question who is better, but i would have just loved if Cristiano had scored that late minute chance last week vs Atletico. Atletico fans spent the entire game whistling whenever Cristiano touched the ball, and in that 90+ minutes play Cristiano made when he dribbled past 3 players and made that inside-out shot Atletico fans couldnt even fit a small bean up their butholes lmfao !!
That would have been a beautifull, BEAUTIFULL slap!

As for Messi being better than Ronaldo by dint of Barcelona’s superiority over Real, that rather ignores several facts:

1) that Barcelona provided the key players to the Spainside that won 3 consecutive international titles. Managed okay without Messi, didn’t they.

2) Ronaldo won an international title playing with Ricardo Quaresma and Joao Mario. He also won the CL playing alongside Anderson and John O’Shea.
And Messi won a champions league against Ronaldo with Yaya Toure as centerback.
We can do this all day.
Messi won a league title with fucking Paulinho.

You dont know what you’re talking about

Ah, I see. You’re one of them.
Yes, and you're one of those Ronaldo "objectivists" that start with conclusion that he is the best and fill in the rest.
Messi's domestic titles eclipse Ronaldo's by a mile. Ronaldo had galactico level squads and won the league in Spain twice. The second time was a complete shambles and La Liga had to overhaul their refeering courses and introduce VAR to correct it. It was a mess. Props to him though. Pointing out just "Anderson and O'Shea" in a squad that had a prime Wayne Rooney, Paul Scholes and Carlos Tevez is a such disingenuous bullshit. Messi won the league with Keita and Bojan. We can keep going.

Messi drug his team to a World Cup final, something Ronaldo could NEVER do, and was 3 Higuain sitters away from winning. It's one of the biggest tragedies in sport. This Argentina team in the past world cup was a complete disaster as well, and Messi got them further than they should. They were within one goal of sticking it to the eventual winner. Ronaldo's heroic win against an immature France squad involved him limping off before the rest of his team won it for him so you can shit on that Portugal side all you want, but they went and won a European title without him on the pitch.

As well, I would love to see Portugal compete with Chile, Brazil and Uruguay on a constant basis. No easy couple of games against Northern Ireland and Latvia.

I watched Ronaldo and Messi week in and week out for the better part of a decade. Past any bias, Messi is better. It's clear to see. 90% of Clasicos were Messi absolutely obliterating Madrid's midfield, while Ronaldo sat on the wing and waited for an easy cross or penalty to put in. Messi's better and will be regarded as such by those who watched. Ronaldo is still a top 10 player all time.

Last edited:
I like Ronaldo more, but I think Messi's clearly a better player. Otherworldly goalscorer but an otherworldly playmaker too. It's filthy how much talent he has.

Ronaldo had galactico level squads
Xavi, Iniesta, Busquests, Zlatan, Etoo, Henry, Deco, Ronaldinho, Thuram, Puyol, Márquez, Zambrotta, Pique, Alves, Mascherano, Abidal, D. Villa, Fabregas, Alba, Sergi Roberto, Neymar, Suarez, Rakitic.

Yeah Messi had to play with too many average players :p

Don't really care but using Portugal's Euro16 win as tie breaker of any sort is retarded.

Portugal were the least deserving champions of any international competition ever, just about, and Ronaldo had a pretty poor tournament, too.

Don't really care but using Portugal's Euro16 win as tie breaker of any sort is retarded.

Portugal were the least deserving champions of any international competition ever, just about, and Ronaldo had a pretty poor tournament, too.
The only way our kids will know of that final is that it was the slap in the face the young French guns needed to start up their incoming hegemony

Back