Who's been doing their swings?

I've worked up to 50 reps (25/25) with a fiddy pounder.

I used to do 2-handed swings now and then with a 60kg (6x10kg's) until my DB handle broke. It's less fun and more dangerous than you think.

I did these a few times.

25 kg or something for a 3 minute round at the end of a session, but I used 2 hands (well, 1 hand was gripping, 1 hand supporting then alternated every 10-15 reps).

I stopped doing them though. Not sure why....I think it was a time element

You guys highly rate them?

I might find my old DB and take it to the car park where I do my intervalk work and add these in along with some burpee work (I've had a rest from those intervals due to mental boredom of running up and down)

Last night, I did 44 swings (11 on each arm at a time, NO SETTING THE DUMBBELL DOWN) with a 55lb dumbbell. I already had tired hams and shoulders, it was KILLER. CAPITAL.

I used to do 2-handed swings now and then with a 60kg (6x10kg's) until my DB handle broke. It's less fun and more dangerous than you think.

WTF? The handle just snapped in half or something?

I've actually been doing these a lot lately, thanks to this thread. Getting the hip drive to swing a 32 kg KB up after a tiring workout is exactly what I need to practice for the highland games. By the time we hit weight over bar last year, I was toast.

I love the swing!

I usually do upwards of 300 and was aiming for 500 in a session until I tore the shit out of my hands.
I usually do 10 reps one hand, rest for 15sec, repeat with other hand on and on and on and on. I do this with a 56pd kettlebell.

One of my last brutal cardio session before fighting was 2x3min 56pdkettlebell swings. 5 reps a hand back and forth. That was fun to say the least and I was happy I left it till the end!

Want to start doing them, but I'm trying to rehab my lower back, don't know if combining that w/ squats (very light) or others helps...

Anything semi-comparable for high-intensity (I'll do medium :D) post-workout for similar benefits which leaves my lowerback on the sidelines?

Want to start doing them, but I'm trying to rehab my lower back, don't know if combining that w/ squats (very light) or others helps...

Anything semi-comparable for high-intensity (I'll do medium :D) post-workout for similar benefits which leaves my lowerback on the sidelines?

That's what sucks so much about lower back injuries. It's almost impossible to find exercises that don't involve the lower back.

That's what sucks so much about lower back injuries. It's almost impossible to find exercises that don't involve the lower back.

Yup. Balls :D

Just doing light light light squats, pullups, dips etc.

I Will be doing swings, hopefully within a month when I'm actually progressing on my lifts again.

Q: Ross training has an article which had him supersetting Single-arm dumbell snatches with dumbell swings. Seems like a bit much? (well of course ross would then sprint 200m...)

^A bit much? Dude, that's the Magic 50, one of the best GPP workouts out there.

Posted weirdly...instead of swings, do supersets of swings + dumbell snatches in tandem for post-workout intense finishers?

Probably my favourite GPP, and easily modified (different snatch and burpee variations.)

just did 120 swings with a 20lb db. Still learning the movement.

maybe you should stick to double arm swings. when i used ot work landscabbing i noticed that doing stuff that had assym upper body movement would aggravate back problems.

Landscabbing?
haha this one summer when i worked at a landscaping place, we worked with this super white trash sprinkler guy for like 3 days until he got fired. he referred to our boss as "landscabber," so evere since it's become part of my vocabulary.

I was on a kettlebell course today to learn proper technique for the swing and other movements.

The clip on the first page is nothing like what we learned today.

This is how we were taught and it's the Russian Kettlebell Challenge way:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JGTWn1wUH3c&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JGTWn1wUH3c&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

The shoulders shouldn't be used as all the motion comes through the hip, making sure it snaps at the top like you would in a deadlift. Like he says on the vid, squeeze the glutes and also the core and quads at the peak of the movement. Knees and elbows are locked out. don't hyperextend the back though.

If you can swing it past 90 degrees, it's too light for you.

Just a few points that we were shown today.

Oh, and to make the movement harder, instead of letting gravity bring the bell down at the top, you throw it down instead. Makes it more intense as you have to really keep the core strong to stop from moving around.

We were also doing swing cleans and swing snatches in tabata format, they were an absolute killer!

Back