Who's been doing their swings?

XTrainer

Red Belt
Reaction score
Remember Sonny's thread about this:

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/412/

Well, I decided to adopt this routine and am very pleased with it. I just finished 40 swings with a 55lb dumbbell. Feels good.

I've progressed in weight from 45lbs. Unlike in the article, I don't go by duration but rather reps. For example, on Sunday night, becuase I was bench pressing and push pressing the next day (in two separate workouts), I only did 26 swings (13 per arm) with 51lbs. I went on to hit PRs in both push press and bench.

I know my work capacity has improved. My heavy lifting hasn't been hurt, and probably has improved (I hit a deadlift PR today for the first time in months). The only time I hurt my lifting was when I did a high-rep session the day before an irregularly scheduled OHP workout, which was simply poor planning on my part.

In order to balance out the high volume of extension work, I always follow up my swings with ab wheel roll outs (from the knees).

So, has anyone else been doing this? What changes have you made? Results?

I've been doing it for time almost daily. I might start going for reps though.

As of right now I can manage 2 minutes straight at 45 lbs.

I've got to start doing this. The hip extension necessary for KB swings is apparently a great drill for oly lifts, so it's a skill thing as well as cardio.

I did it for two weeks, but have dropped it as I start to taper my training down.

I'll pick it back up after the fight.

I did 100 one night after my conditioning and then pulled a deadlift PR.... haven't done them since I may need to change that tonight.

15 with each arm...keep switching for 4-5 sets depending on the other shit i'm working out that day.

Dumbbell swings right? I've been doing these religiously, and am THE ONLY person I've yet to see do them at my college gym, and I always get very weird looks for them too.

I like starting light at 55lbs for reps of 10-20, then going heavier from 75-100lbs (sometimes more) but just working on explosiveness and not caring about reps. I had a bad back injury a few months back from deadlifting, and starting early February was my first time back in the gym, playing basketball and getting back into rolling/sparring I can say honestly this exercise has gotten my hops back better than anything else. They are still quite not there yet, but I went from just grabbing the rim with one hand to dunking hard with one hand in the span of a month, granted I was dunking with two hands before... but I'm hoping time will bring me back into better shape than ever, and my back serves as a constant reminder to train safe first and foremost.

My back also makes sure I keep good form on the lift and don't lean over too much. After I first read about these on Tnation I've begun to do it more and more and certain weeks have them almost like my core work i.e.: after every workout as a finisher. Between dumbbell swings and front/back/overhead squatting I've unfortunately developed an elitist lifting attitude, but only because I see such amazing gains outside the weight room from them. Dumbbell swings ftw!!!

Heavy DB swings are a nice alternate between deadlift sessions. It's interesting to see how many guys set Deadlift PR's after doing some swings.

I've started these with KB's recently, awesome exercise for the explosive hips needed in BJJ.

I also recommend doing some of these daily to counteract the effects of sitting at a desk all day. No need to go too crazy, just a few sets with a moderately heavy dumbell will work.

Heavy DB swings are a nice alternate between deadlift sessions. It's interesting to see how many guys set Deadlift PR's after doing some swings.

Really. I think I'll be adding these in then. I suck at them right now, weight wise. I'll start at 30 and go from there.

Remember Sonny's thread about this:

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/412/
In order to balance out the high volume of extension work, I always follow up my swings with ab wheel roll outs (from the knees).

You just gave me a really great idea. I bought an ab wheel to participate in this month's challenge, and I've been doing swings as part of a conditioning workout. Those two would make a great couplet for a crossfit type workout since they balance each other out, like 25-15-10 rep rounds for time, or max rounds of 10 reps in 20 min.

cansome one explain to me the mechcanics of the move sounds great i would love to try it

cansome one explain to me the mechcanics of the move sounds great i would love to try it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slJ8Jejv_NQ

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/slJ8Jejv_NQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/slJ8Jejv_NQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

On days where I'm at home doing fuck all (which is quite common) I will also GTG with dumbell swings, every 15-20 minutes I'll do a couple of sets. Whole body movements like this done at a moderate pace really get the endorphins running.

People give me the wtf look when im swinging those dumbbells around. Noobs

Since I planned on squatting today, last night I just did 24 (12 each arm) swings at 55lbs, plus my ab rolling (I have added a 10lb back pack for these now).

Today, I squatted a 10lb ATG PR :)

is there any way to do them at ME? like have you guys tru\ied the largest weight possible getting your arms to parallel?

is there any way to do them at ME? like have you guys tru\ied the largest weight possible getting your arms to parallel?

I imagine you could, I've never actually maxed out on these though.

Back