Who wins Machida vs. Gustafsson at 205?

PSX

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
If Machida decided to stick around at 205 (of course he's not, but lets speak hypothetically), one fight I would've loved to have seen coming out of Jones/Gus was Gus/Machida.

Who would've you picked if this fight were to happen? Personally, Gus impressed me so much with his striking that I think he could clip Machida coming in and also maintain good distance and keep him out, so either Gus by Decision/TKO

What about you guys?

If those 2 fought Chuck Norris would win.

Gus looked great against the champ, so I'll take Gus by UD.

Lyoto UD
Just a far better striker and i think Gus will definitely try to take him down but his offense from the top isnt great

Gus does his best against fighters his own size and height thats why his best performances were against Diabetes and Bones. Even Hamill got some clean shots on him and made him bleed. A past prime, no legs, sloppy and chubby Shogun was extremely competitive with him in the 1st 2 rounds. Hes not good at using his height to his advantage and his movement is his best attribute and Lyoto has even better movement and their footwork is about even

Lyoto UD
Just a far better striker and i think Gus will definitely try to take him down but his offense from the top isnt great

Gus does his best against fighters his own size and height thats why his best performances were against Diabetes and Bones. Even Hamill got some clean shots on him and made him bleed. A past prime, no legs, sloppy and chubby Shogun was extremely competitive with him in the 1st 2 rounds. Hes not good at using his height to his advantage and his movement is his best attribute and Lyoto has even better movement and their footwork is about even

I don't see how Lyoto is a "far better striker" than Alex. He may be a better striker, but not by much. Alex's boxing would prove a problem for Lyoto, as well as his offensive wrestling.

Alex's moves laterally much better than Lyoto which gives him angles when he strikes. Lyoto also would have a problem with Gus' reach.

Gus all the way in this one. Personally I think Machida is a bit overated as a striker, he's regarded very highly as a top striker, but yet in his fights with Shogun 2x, Rampage, Jones, Hendo, we didnt see him having a clear advnantage or being better then those guys. They were all even fights standing..........but Gus has shown to go up vs good strikers like Thiago, Shogun and Jones and show a clear advantage.

Wud be great. I do think Gus has the better chin but its always that right shot in the right spot sort of thing so ya never know. Gus is a giant, and size wud play a factor as well.

I do think Machida could probably do his hit and run and occasional blitz to frustrate Gus and win a UD. Don't see Machida finishing him.

This Gustafsson after the Jones fight, would destroy Machida easily in 1 round.

Gus all the way in this one. Personally I think Machida is a bit overated as a striker, he's regarded very highly as a top striker, but yet in his fights with Shogun 2x, Rampage, Jones, Hendo, we didnt see him having a clear advnantage or being better then those guys. They were all even fights standing..........but Gus has shown to go up vs good strikers like Thiago, Shogun and Jones and show a clear advantage.

Lyoto and Shogun had a great first fight where Lyoto arguably won 2 rounds IMO. But anyways lets not pretend 09/10 Shogun was the same guy who fought Gus......

Lyoto beat Rampage's ass in the 3rd round and overall outstruck him handily. Its just in a round by round basis where u could give Rampage 2 rounds but the 2nd really shouldve been a draw
Lyoto clowned and humiliated Hendo he did nothing but punch the air the whole time and only got a couple clean hits in which he wasnt even close to capitalizing on

Compare how Lyoto did against Thiago to Gus to see the difference in their striking

Machida has looked tentative lately but I'd still pick him.

I think Gus is on another level at LHW. Machida is a small lhw.

Iv always thought Lyoto could beat Gus pretty easily.

Back