Who wins? Jones vs Cain?

It actually is a fair question who thought DC was basically as good as Cain or close to it and that the drop in weight class makes no difference. HAs their opinion about Cain demonlishing Jones changed or that DC is almost as good as Cain changed?

Personally I think Jones probably loses 29-28. I don't think anybody is winning rounds 4 or 5 from Cain because of his conditioning. So Jones would have to win the first 3 rounds to win the fight because I also don't see either guy getting a finish. That's a pretty tall order. I think Cain is better everywhere than DC except wrestling where they are fairly even. So if Jones couldn't shutout DC the first 3 rounds, could he do it to Cain? I wouldn't think so. Maybe he could take the 4th. But I think it would be a very close fight that Cain edges out.

Typical Sherdog flavor of the week, Fighter A beats Fighter B in the most recent event and Fighter A is automatically the "be all end all" of MMA until the next event when the next fighter that wins gets the title.

Not too long ago after Rumbles win over Lil Nog I remember most Sherbros takking about how he would KO Cain and JDS in a handicap match lol.

Cain smashes Jones with relative ease... deal with it Sherdog.

Seriously. Such short memories people have on here. Cain gets sidelined for a while and suddenly people forget what an absolute beast he is. I don't care about the stories in the gym, it is what fighters have shown in the cage that matters.

Jones would not have nearly the physical advantages over Cain that he had over Cormier and Cain also had cardio for days. Not to mention being a much more fluent, well- rounded and relentless fighter than DC. It doesn't matter how well Cormier performs in wrestling practice against Cain. Cain is a much more difficult fight for Jones.

I firmly believe that Cain squashes Joes if that fight happens in the near future.

It's such a hard one to pick but I had to go with Jones after yesterday and here is why.

We haven't seen much from Cain, recently he has been constantly getting injured and not passing time in the gym training at his 100% capability. Jones on the other hand has, and yesterday proved it. He is 27, just entering his prime, I always predicted the real gold ear of Jones will be from age 28-32, so far so good. Cain Velasquez is 32, his physical prime is long past, a 27 year old version of Cain would be way more interesting, more time to develop. Jones will be a better fighter at 32, than Cain will be at 37, I don't think that's far fetched.

By the time this fight will happen, even if it will, I think Jones will have evolved more as an overall mixed martial artist and he keeps on proving it fight after fight. Cain is a bad match-up for Jones yes, but I said the same thing about Cormier. To be honest, Jones has been developing real well, and I have trouble picture someone beat him at the moment.

I'm looking forward to Cain's return to the octagon, I will be rooting for him versus Fabricio and I really really hope he can take care of his injuries, dedicate himself to the fullest, clean the division out and hopefully face Jones.

I would still guess at Cain.

Whilst Jones ultimately got the best of Cormier I felt even in victory he did look vulnerable in terms of boxing. Cormier is obviously a good MMA boxer and I think you can make the case he's better than Cain when it comes to extended exchanges. However where I think he's clearly behind Cain is shear explosive speed and I think against Jones this is a key issue.

Cormier was basically having to press forward though Jones attacks and look to try and get into extended exchanges of dirty boxing in the clinch whilst Jon was doing everything he could to try and avoid this from happening.

Cain on the other hand would have I think he more likely to burst forward and catch Jones with one off fight winning(either via KO or beatdown) strikes. Cain's overhand is IMHO one of the great underrated MMA strikes and really what he's built a lot of his success on.

I would say as well that I think Jones would have more chance to finish Cain than he did Cormier as his defence/chin isn't quite as good.

Cain, and it would be an ugly dog fight. And I would LOVE to see it.

Back