Who was the greater pro wrestler, Kurt Angle or The Rock?

the ambush

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
hbk-moonsault-on-the-undertaker-o.gif
Who was the greater pro wrestler, Kurt Angle or The Rock?

Rock was pushed to stardom rather quickly with the intercontinental championship match at WrestleMania 13. Two years later he did partake in the headline world championship match at WrestleMania 15 against Austin. Mic skills and promos were Rock's bread n butter, his move set was decent and sometimes his submissions were loose and sloppy. IMO Rock is an all-time great legend

Angle while also being pushed quickly he did compete for the intercontinental championship at WrestleMania 2000 (16). By the time he emerged on the scene he was well known as an Olympic gold medalist in wrestling. In pro wrestling, Angle's bread n butter was his fluid move set and very efficient chain wrestling. An all-time great legend for me

My answer: Angle by the slimmest of margins

Kurt Angle
Jukl.gif

giphy.gif

The Rock
df1280cea3b965e2c2b6166a561bb085a636b04c_hq.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Rock's mic work was better for sure, but Angle had a better range. Angle stayed over playing a blue chip baby face, Rock was "die Rocky die". That said once Rock found his place he was unstoppable. Advantage: Rock

In ring, Angle no question. I'd even go so far as to put him in top 5 GOAT in ring performers.

It factor. Rock

Overall Rock in a close one.

I dont think Ive ever seen a Kurt Angle match

The Rock is one of the greatest of all time, hes up there with Randy Savage, Ric Flair, Steve Austin, Cody, etc.

Rock's mic work was better for sure, but Angle had a better range. Angle stayed over playing a blue chip baby face, Rock was "die Rocky die". That said once Rock found his place he was unstoppable. Advantage: Rock

In ring, Angle no question. I'd even go so far as to put him in top 5 GOAT in ring performers.

It factor. Rock

I think their mic work is closer than people think, and you're right about Angle's range. Kurt being SO much better than Rock in ring gives him the edge for me, but it is really just splitting hairs.

lol Kurt is very athletic and his suplexes are more crisp etc... but he isn't sooooo much better in the ring. It's hard to rate Kurt Angle's in ring work because his matches are fun, but very dependent on going balls out and hitting big moves.

Kurt managed to have a bad match with AJ Styles and a mediocre match with Eddie Guerrero. The Rock managed to have a good match with an elderly broken down Hulk Hogan.

Kurt's matches were mostly just spamming suplexes/big spots and struggling to get the ankle lock. They're fun for what they are, but he's not really different than the guys who hit high spot after high spot.

The Rock is the more versatile in-ring wrestler and had the better character. Angle was better at having athletic, big moves matches. Cramming 10 suplexes into a 7 minute match doesn't make you a great worker even if your suplexes are well executed.

If someone is less athletic and/or doesn't want to be suplexed all over the place it isn't going to be a good Kurt Angle match.

Who do y'all think would have a better match with a prime Ric Flair?

lol Kurt is very athletic and his suplexes are more crisp etc... but he isn't sooooo much better in the ring. It's hard to rate Kurt Angle's in ring work because his matches are fun, but very dependent on going balls out and hitting big moves.

Kurt managed to have a bad match with AJ Styles and a mediocre match with Eddie Guerrero. The Rock managed to have a good match with an elderly broken down Hulk Hogan.

Kurt's matches were mostly just spamming suplexes/big spots and struggling to get the ankle lock. They're fun for what they are, but he's not really different than the guys who hit high spot after high spot.

The Rock is the more versatile in-ring wrestler and had the better character. Angle was better at having athletic, big moves matches. Cramming 10 suplexes into a 7 minute match doesn't make you a great worker even if your suplexes are well executed.

If someone is less athletic and/or doesn't want to be suplexed all over the place it isn't going to be a good Kurt Angle match.

Who do y'all think would have a better match with a prime Ric Flair?

By the time Angle went to TNA he was no longer his best.

Prime Angle vs Prime Flair (or Prime Hitman) any day if I had to chose.

Gotta rate them by the Bret Hart wrestler metrics
- Mic
- Ring
- Look

Rock with the edge on mic.
Angle with a huge advantage in ring work.
And Rock with an advantage with looks.

It's close.

As an overall talent, The Rock. As an in ring performer, Angle. Both are top 10 all time for me personally but the Rock is a notch above. I think if Angle stayed healthy and in the Fed it might be different.

By the time Angle went to TNA he was no longer his best.

Prime Angle vs Prime Flair (or Prime Hitman) any day if I had to chose.

Agreed that his WWE time was better. I don't dislike Angle, I just think he's a lot more limited than what people give him credit for. His style is heavily dependent on working with someone who can have really athletic matches.

That's why I think he couldn't have have great match with Flair. His tempo is way different than Flair's.

I think he could have a good match with Bret because Bret would be able to adjust to him.

In ring is Angle by far.

Rock was the bigger star and character.

I dont think Ive ever seen a Kurt Angle match

You've never seen any of his matches with Benoit or HBK? You're missing out on some classics. Benoit at Rumble 03 and HBK at WM21.

Not true at all. His match against Undertaker at No Mercy was a legit 5 star classic.

It factor. Rock

Great post, 100% agree

You've never seen any of his matches with Benoit or HBK? You're missing out on some classics. Benoit at Rumble 03 and HBK at WM21.

Not true at all. His match against Undertaker at No Mercy was a legit 5 star classic.

Benoit already the same style more or less, and those matches were among the best for that style.

His work with HBK OK, but not great from what I remember. No where close to either of their best work.

His matches with the Undertaker were great. They were also pretty physical. Undertaker was one of the most athletic big men ever. That's basically a requirement to work with Angle. You have to keep the match within his tempo range.

The Rock can have a solid match with anyone regardless of their style. His match with Hogan is better than anything Kurt could do with Hogan. His match with Goldberg is better than anything Kurt could do with Goldberg. He had better matches with Foley than Angle could have had with Foley. He had the better matches with Austin. He had the better matches with HHH. Those are very different styles and The Rock could work with all of them. I consider The Rock to be the more versatile in-ring wrestler.

Angle was a better wrestler
Rocks a better at sports entertaining

The Rock, he has so much charisma and was amazing on the mic and was also very good in the ring.. also he knew how to get a crowd to react. I've seen The Rock wrestle live and he is damn good in the ring, better than you realize

Angle was very good in the ring but I found a lot of times his matches all looked the same, especially when he faced guys his size. Angle did have a lot of injuries though, especially in his neck which probably held him back.. but he was still excellent

Back