Who was best at cutting the ring off?

GlassJaw

SBC hustler.
Reaction score
I was just thinking of threads since alot of old regulars have been coming back around.

Who cut off the ring the best to you guys?

Roberto Duran and Chavez both come to mind for me. JLC should get an honorable mention, as he was awesome at pinning guys down.

Prime Mike McCallum would cut you off and beat you up.

All good front foot fighters are basically good at cutting the ring off. It's not so much as a skill as it is having knowledge of angles of pursuit. It's a techinque which translates in a variety of other situations, sports and games.

probably stalkers like a late hagler,

I would actually say some guys like Roy Jones though, its impossible to run from him

Hagler was actually lacking at cutting the ring off at times. Which is strange, because generally, if you're a good fighter, you have no trouble knowing where to put your feet.

Hagler was actually lacking at cutting the ring off at times. Which is strange, because generally, if you're a good fighter, you have no trouble knowing where to put your feet.

When someone sad Hagler. my first thought was the Leonard fight. It was probably Haglers inability to trap Leonard that beat him.

Yeah, he had trouble a lot of the time with guys who moved around a lot though. He eventually got to most of them, but that had alot to do with his stamina and will, than any technical brilliance at shortening the gap.

James Toney would probably be the worst big-name fighter at cutting the ring off though. Basically because his footwork was sloth paced.

Yeah, he had trouble a lot of the time with guys who moved around a lot though. He eventually got to most of them, but that had alot to do with his stamina and will, than any technical brilliance at shortening the gap.

James Toney would probably be the worst big-name fighter at cutting the ring off though. Basically because his footwork was sloth paced.

Toney lost alot of fights that way, at least of the fights I have seen him in.

Pavlik comes to mind, from a recent perspective. He gave Taylor, McKart, Zertuche and Miranda all kinds of problems. The Zertuche fight was interesting, though. Pavlik would cut him off and land, but Zertuche was able to counter Pavlik at times by throwing punches where he was going to be. That was a fun fight to watch.

I need to watch more boxing to be able to effectively write with you guys on some of the older boxers though...

Yup....

Joe had a great hook that made fighters hesitate to move in that direction....and an underated right hand that he would loop to the body.....Nothing fancy on the feet mind you, but good looping punches with lots of leverage.....The only way to fight Joe effectively was to back up (whenever Ali fought against Frazier, he always insisted on large, spacious rings ).......or walk through him ala Foreman. Joe was a great fighter that lacked reverse gear.

lol...saw an interview with him where he said he needs to strike more. Guess his ground game has caught up to his standup.

boxing failure..future mma champ!

I believe BB has more wns by sub than KO in MMA.

Damn it. The "I" on my keyboard is wearing out or something. No more edits to fix "i"s.

Examples can be made of fighters that have demonstrated this skill, however I don't think anyone can be defined as the best.

It requires too many variables and not all fighters have had the "right" opponent to exhibit this on...

Look at the recent Campbell v. Diaz fight, no one ran...they sat in the booth and banged it out.

I hope someone understands my rant.

p.s. I think it would be better to ask who is able to create the best angles to land IMO...

Im going to go out on a limb here and say butterbean as well..

bb ftw

Back