Who says brothers shouldn't fight each other in MMA?

There was some good footage of the Emelianenko brothers competing in a sambo competition. I know it's not MMA but it was fun to watch.

I don’t think that is the problem. Thing is, most wouldn’t do it for peanuts.

Rashad/jardine and fitch/koscheck/swick would only do it for a title and more money. I see that being normal

As someone with kids, nieces/nephews, who worked with kids when I was in Highschool/College:
Me!
I say that brothers shouldn’t legitimately fight (like that.)
They should only ever be supporting each other to achieve success.
You'll never go 100% against your brother if you aren't a sociopath or there is some serious bad blood. Will always be sparring at most.
Solid point!
Could you imagine how much your trust might break down if something really bad happened in the fight?
Conversely, might be less likely to throw in the towel, etc….
I wouldn’t do it.

Growing up, my brother took a few beatings on my behalf. I had a big mouth, but I was puny. So, he’d have to finish shit I started.

Thankfully, I sprouted about 10” when I hit 17.

Nope. He’s my hero.
All due respect, but
<3>for making me all emotional during my coffee break!

Funny 10 years ago, people used to want to see brother fights with Ken/Frank, Fedor/Alex, or Nick/Nate or more open to the idea. I just see it as sport and they probably have hurt each other as sparring partners before. Honestly to me its no different than old teammates scheduled to fight, which can go either way. Being brothers it just adds to the spectacle, but most fighters rather not.

I shouldn't just limit this discussion just to brothers, but also sisters. I know at least a couple of girls who are sisters that can't stand each other and would love nothing more than 15 minutes in a cage with them.

Excellent point. Sibling fights should be encouraged between sisters but not brothers. Given the level of the WMMA talent pool, sisters are unlikely to seriously injure each other anyway but would have a cathartic opportunity to vent their frustrations with each other.

The Lauzons did it for free. Joe Even held on to the choke after the tap at the end.

I truly believe Joe Lauzon would’ve done it again and enjoyed kicking the shit out of Dan for money.

The craziest part about this is they are doing it in front of friends and family who are just sitting back and watching these two legit attack one another. Tells me they've been at odds more times than they haven't been.

Ben "Phoenix Jones" Fodor and Caros Fodor fought each other -- apparently it kinda fucked up their already-fucked-up relationship

I'm being serious when I say this, outside of most felonies, I cannot think of anything more despicable. I have a brother close in age and a life time ago when we were teenagers we fought against some other kids who had beef with my brother (we won and it was three versus two, nothing dramatic, just a fist fight). We were tight, but after that moment we both knew we would go to the ends of the earth for the other. That moment is seared into my brain. I wouldn't go against him for all the money in the world, and I mean that. There is an unspoken yet perfectly knowable understanding between us that whatever the one needs the other will provide if they can. Saying all that we still don't see eye to eye on a great many things, but that doesn't matter.

I don't understand why anyone would do this for money. I guess if you and your brother are in extreme poverty it might make sense but nope, not doing it.

But can you imagine if they had that kind of fight in the finals 😂 bigger mess to clean up
I wonder if it happened in the finals, then they would have gone more full out. The million dollar prize is in the line. Also, I think they found it disrespectful by pfl to do that right away, so their ambition for a good fight wasn’t as high. If they both made it to the final, bigger stage kinda deal. I wonder if that would have changed their motivation and ambition going into the fight. Compared to a regular season fight for points just to get into the tournament.

I don't understand why there is this unwritten "brothers shouldn't fight each other in MMA" rule. I mean, I have two brothers and we used to beat the crap out each other as kids. Why not do it for money?

You think the Diaz brothers never beat each other up as kids? The Emelianenko brothers? Hell, the Noguera brothers were twins, there wasn't any "big brother advantage" there, you don't think they fought?

I love my brothers but if a MMA organization approached us and said, "You guys want to jump in the cage and fight?" I think we'd look at each other and say, "Well...we used to beat the hell out of each other, why not do it now for money?" Especially since the money would be really good, how many PPV buys do you think Diaz vs. Diaz would get based on the "brother vs. brother" aspect alone?

#justsayin'
Joe Lauzon beat his brothers ass in a backyard MMA fight.

But Joe is also a psycho.

Man, my lil' bro ain't so little any more and might end up lamping me which would forever ruin my big brother cred. Also, my mom would just die if we tried something like that. Finally, there's a big difference between the fighting brothers do amongst themselves and professional fighting, especially in the intent of the violence being applied. You really don't want to maim your bro (or at least you shouldn't) so you'll be holding something back that you wouldn't against a stranger or someone you legit hate.

The relationship would have to be very damaged to make a brother vs brother fight look like much more than a sparring session.

I wouldn't, I would absolutely maul my brother cause he is sick and on medication so maybe that makes the case different from normal.

But even without that I couldn't bear hitting my brother in the face full force unless he did something immensely fucked up.

The Lauzons did it for free. Joe Even held on to the choke after the tap at the end.

I truly believe Joe Lauzon would’ve done it again and enjoyed kicking the shit out of Dan for money.

That is some serious white trashery.

Reactions: HHJ
I don't understand why there is this unwritten "brothers shouldn't fight each other in MMA" rule. I mean, I have two brothers and we used to beat the crap out each other as kids. Why not do it for money?

You think the Diaz brothers never beat each other up as kids? The Emelianenko brothers? Hell, the Noguera brothers were twins, there wasn't any "big brother advantage" there, you don't think they fought?

I love my brothers but if a MMA organization approached us and said, "You guys want to jump in the cage and fight?" I think we'd look at each other and say, "Well...we used to beat the hell out of each other, why not do it now for money?" Especially since the money would be really good, how many PPV buys do you think Diaz vs. Diaz would get based on the "brother vs. brother" aspect alone?

#justsayin'
There's a difference between having spontaneous moments of rage and having a preplanned, pre-meditated event where you're going to try to hurt as much as possible, possibly kill, your own sibling.

They make the guy fight his daughters godfather and lifelong friend/training partner and wonder "wtf why didn't they go all out" instead of putting them on opposite sides of the bracket. Real B-League shit.
If I remember correctly, their issue was that they got put against each other immediately instead of just letting them get to the finals. PFL was pretty clearly trying to stack that tournament for Shane Burgos.

It's always amusing when some idiot declares that he and his brothers used to "beat the shit out of each other." No, you didnt.

Back