Who is the greatest sports athlete of all-time?

Who is the greatest sports athlete of all-time?

• Total voters
This is a tricky question to answer as there have been so many incredible athletes through the years, but there are some big factors we have to take into account here.

How long was the athlete at the top? Did they face the absolute best competition around the earth? Did they win everything?

Is the sport a global competition attracting the best athletes from around the world?

When you factor everything in there is truly only one man who sits on the golden throne...

e672e8b047058309bb1bc9862c3f76cc.jpg

Whether you like it or not, Football (Soccer) is the biggest sport on earth by a retarded margin, billions of people dream of being a footballer, it has the deepest talent pool of any sport by far. 2 billion people watched the world cup final, that number is incomprehensible, imagine the talent pool available for selection... we are talking billions of youth.

Then we have one little boy from a small place in Argentina with a growth hormone deficiency who struggled with asthma. This boy was so gifted and naturally talented that when he moved to Spain, he destroyed youth who had been in the academy for years. Messi, is a prodigy in the truest form, he is the student of one of the greatest footballers to ever live, the legendary Ronaldinho, who is quoted as saying he never taught Messi a single thing.

So if we move onto records and achievements, this is where things get silly, the highest honour a player can receive is the Ballon d'or which is a trophy reserved for the greatest player in the world every year, 99% of players can only ever dream of this, for the 1% you are honoured to even be in the top 3 once in your lifetime let alone actually win it. Remember, you are competing against the greatest players around the world in all leagues. only the best of the best win.. Zidane, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Di Stefano etc. Messi has won this award seven fucking times... SEVEN. If you're not a football fan it's hard to quantify how stupid this is and he did it while competing against Cristiano Ronaldo of all people.

Lionel-Messi2-640x432.jpeg

He has won every trophy and award there is to win, Champions League 4 times, La liga 11 times, Ligue 1, Golden shoe, the list is endless.

Then you come on to his records and feats in the game, some of them are likely never to be broken, for instance, the world record of 91 goals in a single year, there are top-level TEAMS that don't score half that many, he did it alone. Scientists have said some of his movements on the pitch simply baffle them, his change of direction is inhuman, the speed in which he moves with the ball shouldn't be possible and he sees things the normal human eye can't, other players have said it's odd to see witness, he has a vision for the game that no one ever has before.

Not to mention the stories of things he has done in training with no cameras, some of the best players ever have said no one compares to him. One of my favourites from truly of the best players ever.

The fact that he has been at the top of football and regarded as the greatest ever for 15 years now in a sport as physically demanding as football is a testament to him, he has evolved his style through the years as he has aged and shown he is the greatest playmaker, dribbler, attacker ever so, in other words, he is 5 players in one and mastered all styles.

So I've said all this, and I haven't even got to the big one... If he wasn't the greatest athlete ever before, then he undoubtedly is now, as he won the World Cup with Argentina. Don't get things twisted, there is no prize on earth more prestigious, more honoured and harder to earn than a World Cup. A tournament that's a month-long in a foreign country, playing with your countrymen against the best teams in the world, 2-hour games are normal, non-stop pressure, billions of eyes on you.

And he went, and fucking did it... He won the big one.

So for me, there is only one man who sits above them all, royalty, the King and his name is Lionel Messi.

2561585-mess.jpg

FWKYApGWQAEUmw8.jpg

I appreciate the effort of this post. Solid argument. Tho I stick with Sugar Ray Robinson. You raised an interesting point, about Messi winning the world cup, going to a foreign country, playing best in the world.

Robinson after he depleted north american opposition had no qualms about going to other countries to take on their very best, often the champions of those nations. This was in the absolute golden age of boxing in terms of depth of talent, and strategic matchmaking then didn't exist like it did now. Fighters weren't protected, and choreographed. He'd go to Germany, Austria, Canada, France, England, Belgium, Italy, Jamaica, Mexico etc. Fight guys he had little to no idea what their styles were while everyone knew his. And sometimes he'd have fights just a month apart, hell, sometimes a week apart.

I respect all that football players do, but to me there's something special about an individual sport with no time outs, where one tenth of the physical punishment an athlete goes through is too much to bear for athletes of other sports.

This isn't the end all and be all of criteria of course, but ESPN did a shot at an analytical approach to coming up with the most difficult sports to participate in, and boxing was #1.

https://www.espn.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

ray-sugar-ray-robinson-shows-off-his-title-belts-barney-stein.jpg

I'd like to see him up against prime shaq and dwight

Dwight did shit in dunk contests that noone else could ever do
Lol. Wilt was stronger than Shaq n Dwight by alot. Read up on how strong he was. Wilt was most physically gifted player ever in basketball. He just pissed off everyone e he played with an wasn't team player. Wilt with his head on straight is considerable better than Shaq n Shaq even admitted it.

Dwight Howard <FookIsThatGuy> he had some good years but not even in conversation.

Wilt was a stronger more athletic and skilled Shaq.

Also what folks never mention is Wilts inhuman gas tank for his size. One year he played all but 8 minutes.

People have recently bias but Wilt is a full level above Shaq in terms of skill an talent. Who would I rather have ... maybe Shaq as Wilt was such a douche n killed chemistry.

Lol. Wilt was stronger than Shaq n Dwight by alot. Read up on how strong he was. Wilt was most physically gifted player ever in basketball. He just pissed off everyone e he played with an wasn't team player. Wilt with his head on straight is considerable better than Shaq n Shaq even admitted it.

Dwight Howard <FookIsThatGuy> he had some good years but not even in conversation.

Wilt was a stronger more athletic and skilled Shaq.

Also what folks never mention is Wilts inhuman gas tank for his size. One year he played all but 8 minutes.

People have recently bias but Wilt is a full level above Shaq in terms of skill an talent. Who would I rather have ... maybe Shaq as Wilt was such a douche n killed chemistry.

I don't have "recency bias" and how the hell do you know wilt was stronger than shaq? I wish they had more footage of wilt because i have not seen him do anything more athletic than what the other 2 could

Best athletes are the ones who do multiple things soccer water sports winter sports not glorified position sports like NBA NFL MLB. Just imagine how many games would have different outcome if there were no billion time outs in nfl or NBA or billion pitcher changes in mlb

Shaquille O'Neal. If he could have shot free throws, he'd have the scoring record.

I don't have "recency bias" and how the hell do you know wilt was stronger than shaq? I wish they had more footage of wilt because i have not seen him do anything more athletic than what the other 2 could
Here's 1 of many links just do a search.

https://www.bench-press.net/wilt-chamberlain-bench-press/

Wilt could bench more at 59 than a prime Shaq. Arnold was in dis belief at how strong he was.

Wilt was better than Shaq in almost every area. But Shaq was a much better teammate n team player. But at least a level below in talent .. and Shaq was incredibly talented.

More incredible was Wilts gas tank. If a 6'0 185 lb pg played every gsme an all but 8 minutes of a season people would gush over what an iron man hexwas. Wilt did it at 7'1 290

Last edited:
Wilt was super athletic. Track star and played volleyball after basketball. Guy was a freak

Nobody mentioned Ronda Rousey? Wow, she could beat Cain and Floyd Mayweather while being a woman.

I appreciate the effort of this post. Solid argument. Tho I stick with Sugar Ray Robinson. You raised an interesting point, about Messi winning the world cup, going to a foreign country, playing best in the world.

Robinson after he depleted north american opposition had no qualms about going to other countries to take on their very best, often the champions of those nations. This was in the absolute golden age of boxing in terms of depth of talent, and strategic matchmaking then didn't exist like it did now. Fighters weren't protected, and choreographed. He'd go to Germany, Austria, Canada, France, England, Belgium, Italy, Jamaica, Mexico etc. Fight guys he had little to no idea what their styles were while everyone knew his. And sometimes he'd have fights just a month apart, hell, sometimes a week apart.

I respect all that football players do, but to me there's something special about an individual sport with no time outs, where one tenth of the physical punishment an athlete goes through is too much to bear for athletes of other sports.

This isn't the end all and be all of criteria of course, but ESPN did a shot at an analytical approach to coming up with the most difficult sports to participate in, and boxing was #1.

https://www.espn.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

ray-sugar-ray-robinson-shows-off-his-title-belts-barney-stein.jpg
Chuck Barry is a legend, I didn't know they gave out titles for farting in hookers mouths

LOL Ronaldo shits all over Ronaldo Nazario regarding athleticism. You nostalgia merchants crack me up, the only thing Ronaldo Nazario had over Ronaldo was explosiveness and even that it's debatable.
Maybe you're using some weird other definition of athleticism that I'm not familiar with. Agility, speed, power = explosiveness.

What are the other elements of athleticism that you're saying CR7 had the advantage in?

Maybe you're using some weird other definition of athleticism that I'm not familiar with. Agility, speed, power = explosiveness.

What are the other elements of athleticism that you're saying CR7 had the advantage in?
Ronaldo Nazario was faster with the ball, he's not even CLOSE to being faster than Ronaldo without it. He had better acceleration AKA he was more explosive in his runs and he was very fast but not CR7 fast. CR7 top speed rivals the likes of Bale and Mbappé who are some of the fastest players of the last 30 years.

Ronaldo Nazario didn't even had a aerial game lmao, meanwhile CR7 is the best header of the ball ever and had insane jumping ability to alongside a supernatural cardio, Nazario doesn't touch him in this department.

Also in what world does Ronaldo Nazario had more power than CR7? CR7 was a 6'2 powerhouse who had a long range like very few players in history had. Not to mention that Nazario was completely finished physically into his 30s and Ronaldo was landing the top speed in the World Cup at 33 (2018).

CR7 is clear of Ronaldo Nazario as an athlete.

Ronaldo Nazario was faster with the ball, he's not even CLOSE to being faster than Ronaldo without it. He had better acceleration AKA he was more explosive in his runs and he was very fast but not CR7 fast. CR7 top speed rivals the likes of Bale and Mbappé who are some of the fastest players of the last 30 years.

Ronaldo Nazario didn't even had a aerial game lmao, meanwhile CR7 is the best header of the ball ever and had insane jumping ability to alongside a supernatural cardio, Nazario doesn't touch him in this department.

Also in what world does Ronaldo Nazario had more power than CR7? CR7 was a 6'2 powerhouse who had a long range like very few players in history had. Not to mention that Nazario was completely finished physically into his 30s and Ronaldo was landing the top speed in the World Cup at 33 (2018).

CR7 is clear of Ronaldo Nazario as an athlete.
Aerial game is irrelevant, that's a technical choice, not an athletic one. Same with distance on kicks, it's as much technical skill as athletic power. The only athletic element you're talking about it speed. And most professionals who've seen or played with both say that R9 was the better athlete (faster, stronger, etc.) and the more talented player. CR7 had the better career and is without question one of the all time greats but R9 is widely considered the more impressive athlete.

]Aerial game is irrelevant, that's a technical choice, not an athletic one
What? Aerial game is connected to jumping ability...you know...an athletic aspect. Which CR7 is miles ahead of R9

only athletic element you're talking about it speed. And most professionals who've seen or played with both say that R9 was the better athlete (faster, stronger, etc.) and the more talented player.
R9 being more talented is irrelevant to the athleticism argument, he was the most talented footballer ever.

only athletic element you're talking about it speed. And most professionals who've seen or played with both say that R9 was the better athlete (faster, stronger, etc.) and the more talented player. CR7 had the better career and is without question one of the all time greats but R9 is widely considered the more impressive athlete.
This is literally some fantasy from your head. One of the things most people talk about regarding CR7 is his athleticism. How his jumping ability is like anything we have seen in football and how he was the posterboy of what a modern era athlete can look like.

We can also look at durability, which is another aspect where CR7 blows R9 out of the park because he's simply the better athlete. R9 had a knee injury and was never the same again. Ronaldo literally has tendinosis since 2014, had a major injury that year and still performed at a top level for 8 years after that.

CR7 was bigger, had better cardio, faster, better jumping ability, far, far more durable physically

R9 had more explosiveness, he was super strong in his bursts and That's about it when it comes to things he has over CR7 regarding athleticism. When people talk about R9 what they talk about is the combination of his athleticism with his ability, that's different.

Last edited:
Sad how Wilt only has 1 vote. Benched over 500 lbs, ran 440 in 49 sec, 22 ft long jump , 6'6 high jump, 55 ft shot put, and had the best cardio for a man that big likely in history. Not to mention the insane number of dimes he banged.

Bo and MJ are great but IMO athletically Wilt was just another level.

Tom Brady shouldn’t be on this list, he literally stands there and chucks an eggball around. Apparently he’s been on the field for a combined 38 hours in his 20plus year career, which is the equivalent to one soccer season.

Messi, Ali and Nadal are the greatest of the toughest sports to play

Back