Who is the Boxing HW GOAT?

Had Tyson beat Holyfield and Lewis he would be near the top but he didn't. And don't say he was past his prime when he fought them. Holyfield was a lot more used up than Tyson was when they fought. The mental game is part of being a great champion and Tyson didn't have it.

A man with Joe Louis' class in the ring and out deserves a much better selection of music than the garbage that accompanies him in that video bradguy.

Such as;

YouTube - Joe Louis Knockouts Part 1

YouTube - Joe Louis Knockouts Part 2

And he is the correct answer to the original question posed.

rrkt29.jpg

Last edited:
How come I've never seen any of these guys who say "MIKE TYSON" post in here before?

Ok thanks Sharky. I knew it was only 1 yr and half long but I thought it was around 12 fights in that period. I knew some people throw Billy Conn in with them and I never understood that. Wasn't he the LHW champ at the time.

Also when I ask the question, I knew it would be you or ThirdParty to be the first to answer.

Conn was a great light heavy......but he was feather fisted with only 13 KO's in close to a hundred fights.....and yet this light hitting light heavy had Louis looking like a moose on roller blades......and so did Galento.....and so did Mauriello (who ?).....and so did Walcott....and so did B. Baer......and so did.......ahhhh, you get the picture.

Joe Louis........?

Great hitter.
Great Right Hand.
Great Courage.
Great Stamina.
Less than average chin.

ну Я все-таки считаю что Джо Луис

You tyson fanboys, followed his era and nothing else. Lets recap the late 80's early nineties for a sec. Lewis>Bowe>Holyfield>Tyson.

There is really no argument as to who belongs to the top 2: Louis & Ali.

Those are the only guys one can argue for and it's really about who's number 1 and who's number 2. Holmes, Lewis... While great fighters, are for definite... a step or two below Ali and Louis.

I have holmes in the Top 4 heavyweight great list.

The greatest Mike in sports would be Michael Jordan.

Ok as here I go with why Larry should be consider as a better Heavyweight Chmpion then Ali and Louis.

First. let look at the character of the 3.
Ali fought in a time were when were war and stood up against the gov't in not joining the military and got strip of his title for it. That make him a stronger man then most in the fact he stood by what he believed in, regardless of the punishment. Some hated him for it and some loved him more for it.

Joe louis fought in the time of war to and in joined the Military. That makes him an honorable man, in that he wanted to fight for his country. Although the gov't would screw him over on later in life.

Larry fought in a more peaceful time, there was no war world or civil rights movement to help him make that life changing dec. to help him stand out as an above avg. man. So that tells me he had to work harder then the other two to get name recondition.

Advantage Holmes.

Sec. lets look at rec of the three.

Joe louis had more title defense then any other HW champion with 25 and held the title longer, but was inactive for yrs due to his military career.

Ali was the first man to win the title 3 times I think.

Larry had 20 titles def. and held the title for 7 yrs and never turned down a fight with anyone.

There are more things to their careers but these are things that stick out to me.

Adv. Louis

Third we looks at skills in the ring.
Ali was one of the fastest and flashiest Hw of alltime. He used is speed to embarrass his opponents. Later on in his career he was able to change his style up and really on his toughness and ring smarts to beat his opponents.

Joe Louis had pure knockout power. He was able to Ko most of the fighters that stood in the ring with him.

Larry Holmes was just a pure boxer. He wasn't fast like Ali and didn't have the Knockout punch that Joe had. So he had to rely on his boxing skill to best his opponents. His jab is arguably the best that has ever been seen. So I look at him as a better over boxer then Ali and Joe cause of what didn't have. The power and speed of Joe or Ali to help him stand out in the mind of most people.

Adv. Holmes

Ok those are the reason I look at Larry Holmes as a better HW Champion then Joe Louis or Ali.

Now, most of the things I have said came off the top of my head and out of my ass, so please have mercy on me when yall pick this apart.:icon_lol:

Good points. Holmes is vastly underrated by most modern outlets.

However I definitely do rate him below Ali and Louis because of the quality of opponents Ali faced compared to Larry, and the length of Louis's reign. Holmes had all the skills, and he's a tough fight for anybody for sure, but based on history and the fights themselves, i believe it's hard to rate him above Ali or Louis

Back