Who is the Boxing HW GOAT?

Oh, What's up we throwing out Highlights now.

how bout the last Rds from one of the best HW fights ever.

I know there were others before that just because I can remember reading boxing mags that were written before the fight back then, but that Holmes-Norton fight is the earliest one that I still have a clear enough memory of actually watching it live as it happened. It was mildly fantastic to say the least.

Yep, music choice is often a problem in Boxing compilations, Sharks.

True with that bradguy.

Sitiyzal's video on the heavyweights was a favourite of mine too when he originally made it and then posted it.

The one that Rooster made about Louis, though? I couldn't even get halfway through that because of the song selection.

Ok I have a question for yall that say Joe Louis. How many of his tittle defenses were to fighters that were called "Bum of the Month". I know some of those fighters were not bums and some were.I never have like that, calling a contender a bum. But this is it what the critics of his era where calling them so I guess they had they reasons.

I guess what I am asking in out of the 25 title defenses which ones where his best.

Last edited:
Iron Mike Tyson. Never again will we see someone with so much raw talent or power, the greatest of all time.

Ok I have a question for yall that say Joe Louis. How many of his tittle defenses were to fighters that were called "Bum of the Month". I know some of those fighters were not bums and some were.I never have like that, calling a contender a bum. But this is it what the critics of his era where calling them so I guess they had they reasons.

I guess what I am asking in out of the 25 title defenses which ones where his best.

Louis' "bum of the month" tour was from Dec of 1940 to Apr of 1941, and featured five defenses in five months. A couple of those defenses, vs Red Burman and Abe Simon, were defenses against contenders ranked in the top 5 by Ring Magazine.

The tour was said to be over by the time Louis met Buddy Baer, although a couple of writers did add him to the others in that club. Probably unfairly at that.

Billy Conn not a part of the club, although Louis fought him a month after Baer (and so on back to McCoy).

The "bum of the month" club was but five fights long, although some unfairly pass judgement over Louis' whole reign because of it and make it more wide spread than it actually was.

Louis' "bum of the month" tour was from Dec of 1940 to Apr of 1941, and featured five defenses in five months. A couple of those defenses, vs Red Burman and Abe Simon, were defenses against contenders ranked in the top 5 by Ring Magazine.

The tour was said to be over by the time Louis met Buddy Baer, although a couple of writers did add him to the others in that club. Probably unfairly at that.

Billy Conn not a part of the club, although Louis fought him a month after Baer (and so on back to McCoy).

The "bum of the month" club was but five fights long, although some unfairly pass judgement over Louis' whole reign because of it and make it more wide spread than it actually was.

Ok thanks Sharky. I knew it was only 1 yr and half long but I thought it was around 12 fights in that period. I knew some people throw Billy Conn in with them and I never understood that. Wasn't he the LHW champ at the time.

Also when I ask the question, I knew it would be you or ThirdParty to be the first to answer.

I don't use the term "bum" either, too disrespectful.

In June 1937, Joe Louis won the Title.
During the next 3 years, Louis basically fought himself out of top challengers and made 11 successful title defenses.

So in Dec 1940, that's when Louis began to give the 2nd and 3rd tier fighters a shot at the title at the rate of 1 per month.
It was a 6 month tour and 6 opponents, became known as "Bum-of-the-Month", and it ran from Dec 1940 to May 1941 until Louis fought brilliant Light-Heavyweight Billy Conn in June in a classic fight.

The 2nd and 3rd tier guys became known as "The-Bum-of-the-Month Tour", and it's ridiculous that some people will categorize all Louis' opponents as "bums" when the man was Champ for 12 years and 25 title defenses.

Nobody stays on top for even three years unless he's the goods (like a prime Mike Tyson's 3 year Title run in the late 80s for example)

Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali were both being interviewed one time when the young arrogant disrespectful Ali told the grand former Champ Louis that Louis fought all them bums on that Bum-of-the-Month Tour.
Louis responded, "You would've been on that tour."
Ali - "You callin' me a bum?"
Louis - "No...but you would've been on that tour."

^ Louis is one of the few men who got the better of Ali in the war of words.

Angelo Dundee on the term "Bum":
"I resent that because if a kid’s a fighter, he can’t be a bum. You’ve gotta be a special individual to be a fighter. I blow my stack when I hear that because it’s one on one; anything can happen. Any bum can get lucky. There’s no bum of the month.” - Angelo Dundee

EDIT:
Curses, foiled again...
It looked like no one was answering.

It's good you've hung around, Sharkey, despite the Pacquiao/maywetaher circus in here nowadays, when many good ones have either left or got banned..

Last edited:
Tyson was probably the most exciting HW since Dempsey and he COULD have been the greatest if he had not screwed up his own life so badly.

He is probably top 15 HW's of all time but no way the GOAT and I like him.

Ok thanks Sharky. I knew it was only 1 yr and half long but I thought it was around 12 fights in that period. I knew some people throw Billy Conn in with them and I never understood that. Wasn't he the LHW champ at the time.

Also when I ask the question, I knew it would be you or ThirdParty to be the first to answer.

Billy Conn wasn't a part of it, nor should he be. He did officially give up the light heavyweight crown a couple of weeks before facing Louis, but he was doing doing as the undefeated champion in that division. He was also named as the "outstanding heavyweight contender" in the NBA's quarterly rankings a couple of months before the bout with Louis too and back then the rankings were much more in line with reality than what we see now with the alphabet groups. He had already proven his worth as a heavyweight contender at that point having defeated a few of the top guys that were around going back a couple of years.

It really is a subjective question. Even the criteria that one might use can have some variation, with some using strictly a champion

Cheers bradguy

But next time speed it up a little ya' bum. Doesn't say much for you when my slow ass is out typing your apparently even slower ass by so many minutes.

Cheers bradguy

But next time speed it up a little ya' bum. Doesn't say much for you when my slow ass is out typing your apparently even slower ass by so many minutes.

The 5 year old was sitting on my lap grabbing stuff off the desk, poking me with the ink-refill injector thing as she was pretending she was a doctor giving me a needle.
Then I minimized the unfinished post for a bit because she asked to look at pictures of herself from the beach yesterday.

I got a one-track mind, no multi-tasking for this fella.

It's like Louis' hands have minds of their own, magnetically drawn to the other man's chin.

Good way to put it.
It's true. It's uncanny.
And this even though the opponents are disciplined and doing everything right defensively.

The 5 year old was sitting on my lap grabbing stuff off the desk, poking me with the ink-refill injector thing as she was pretending she was a doctor giving me a needle.
Then I minimized the unfinished post for a bit because she asked to look at pictures of herself from the beach yesterday.

I got a one-track mind, no multi-tasking for this fella.

I understand completely, my friend. I'm much the same way. If I want to type anything out that requires a little thinking, I can't get myself distracted from that or else I pretty much end up losing my train of thought for the moment and don't usually get it back all that quick.

tyson, rocky, dempsey

Mike Tyson.

Are you people being serious when you say Tyson is the GOAT HW?

Iron Mike Tyson. Never again will we see someone with so much raw talent or power, the greatest of all time.

Tyson was probably the most exciting HW since Dempsey and he COULD have been the greatest if he had not screwed up his own life so badly.

He is probably top 15 HW's of all time but no way the GOAT and I like him.

Im going with iron mike nobody was as powerful and fun to watch as him!

I love Mike as much as the next guy, but there is no way in hell that he's number one.

Most boxing afficionados either rank Tyson at the bottom of the top ten (around the 8th, 9th, or 10th position) or at the front of the top fifteen (around the 11th or 12th mark).

It is very difficult to rank him any higher than that.

As Fisticuffa pointed out, Tyson could've been the GOAT had it not been for all the pitfalls he experienced.....

Back