Who has the best defensive striking in MMA?

Jones
Adesanya
DC
Wonderboy
Mousasi
Conor

....and yes, you can reply with gifs, everybody gets hit

I agree with all the others and DC has ok head movement but generally he plows forward reaching like a mummy.I would never have him close to this list,but otherwise good picks.

You are that mans fluffer, good lord.
He doesn't pay my bills nor does he take care of my family. I admit- a heavy supporter and you'll notice I'll insert his name when its applicable or educating someone on a situation they're clearly not aware of.I also admit I get a bit " wordy" in some posts but it is what it is.

I'm not offended by your comment .

prime aldo and i can't think of a close second

I agree with all the others and DC has ok head movement but generally he plows forward reaching like a mummy.I would never have him close to this list,but otherwise good picks.
I think some people actually call it the Mummy guard and it's pretty dam effective for him against taller strikers. He also transitions really well into the clinch from it.

I think some people actually call it the Mummy guard and it's pretty dam effective for him against taller strikers. He also transitions really well into the clinch from it.

He is effective at nullifying strikes by crowding his opponents,being in their face and threatening with td's.A good offense is a good defense they say but on a technical level his striking defense is bad,but being effective is what matters in mma.He's still no where near this list though.

Cruz
Rashid Magomedov

And Conor if he would keep his dang hands up.

He is effective at nullifying strikes by crowding his opponents,being in their face and threatening with td's.A good offense is a good defense they say but on a technical level his striking defense is bad,but being effective is what matters in mma.He's still no where near this list though.
He's also moving his head in those exchanges. The Stipe fight is a perfect example minus the eyepokes. Stipe was firing off combos in the pocket and in real speed they looked like good, but you see DC's head movement while deflecting with extended arms.

He's also moving his head in those exchanges. The Stipe fight is a perfect example minus the eyepokes. Stipe was firing off combos in the pocket and in real speed they looked like good, but you see DC's head movement while deflecting with extended arms.

I commented on DC's decent head movement already in my first post.So you're saying you think DC should be in talks for best striking defense in mma or are you just pointing out obvious stuff that I already said?His defense is pretty effective but were talking about best defensive in all of mma not whether or not DC's defense is pretty effective.He constantly dips in a predictive way,took a lot of elbows vs Jones rushing in with his arms out etc. I can't see how DC could possibly be in the discussion for this topic.

I commented on DC's decent head movement already in my first post.So you're saying you think DC should be in talks for best striking defense in mma or are you just pointing out obvious stuff that I already said?His defense is pretty effective but were talking about best defensive in all of mma not whether or not DC's defense is pretty effective.He constantly dips in a predictive way,took a lot of elbows vs Jones rushing in with his arms out etc. I can't see how DC could possibly be in the discussion for this topic.

If we grade on a curve though DC is amazing

I mean dude is 5'11 at best, hes such an over achiever

Love that guy

bdFLUGk.gif

6UrR.gif

Silva+belfort+2.gif

EnergeticCharmingAfricanwildcat-size_restricted.gif
He looked pretty good against adensaya

Prime Jose Aldo

Very rare art
Who has the best footwork, body movement, slips, parries, headmovement, parries, cage presence and all around defensive game
Jones, and it's not even close.

His footwork combined with his ability to use distance with his reach and stupid little kicks makes him almost impossible to land big shots on. I mean, how many times in his entire career has anyone landed a big shot on jones? I supose Gus busted him up pretty good, but he never blasted him with anything big.

Yes I think his striking defense is just as good as the guys on that list. That's what I meant by it's not pretty but effective. Also those elbows from Jones were not from rushing from my memory but even if they were thats Jon freaking Jones. Im also factoring in that he usually at a reach disadvantage.

Last edited:
In terms of overall defense, I think this might be T. Wood. He became a champion and defended multiple times with an entirely defensive skillset

Masvidal and gastelum have shown nice head movement. Poirier has good defensive boxing too.

Cody looked matrix esque against dom but as time goes by I think it was more of a matchup thing. Dom's striking offense is unpredictable but very bad at the same time. No power due to bad positioning and slow. His style has worked for him for a long time but it def isn't the best. Guy is hard to catch tho.

33 posts in before a mention of mas, they should be ashamed. good shit sherbor

Phil Davis is a really good defensive striker. Khabib too.
Yeah Phil Davis is a good answer. He stood with Rumble for 3 rounds, and while he got hit and clearly lost, certainly ate a lot less clean shots than most others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back