Who has the best defensive striking in MMA?

Technique wise probably Prime Dom Cruz with the Willie Pep slips and ducks

It's Jose Aldo, during his reign there were pretty much no other MMA fighters who had every kind of defense. head movement, parries, slips, rolling with punches, pivoting out of the way with his strikes, keeping the center when pressuring and keeping his back off the cage when fighting off the back foot. Can't believe nobody mentioned him.

He's also one of the greatest defensive wrestlers of all time, so I'd say he's the best overall defensive fighter.

The new generation has much better defense though.

Whenever I get the chance to mention my boy and be fair about it, well- I do it. Of all the disciplines and all the extensions or branches that are connected with that discipline , I throw Gegard s name into about 4-6 of them...... and there are alot of disciplines and extensions that are categorized off them.
Gegard Mousasi has been a pro since 17 and is now 33 and unbelievably in his prime with no mileage shown ( incredible).Hes only suffered one tko and has NEVER been separated from consciousness in all these years as a predominant stand up fighter.

It took 15+ for a fighter to put a mark on the legends face ( schlemenko). I dont know if hes #1 but hes up there along with his fight IQ( counter striker by nature) which goes hand in hand with topic. Awhile back- he was a bit flatfooted as a fighter but his chin made up for it ( another category he's " up there" in), but hes fixed that to a significant level.

Prime Anderson WAS clearly at top .You cant reference chael or lutter fights where Silva clearly fighting on heels so counter strike defense kind of goes out window. Its mma - not boxing- so we have to keep in mind ( mousasi jacare 2 another example of Souza holding his own standing only because of mousasi with hands down and on heels).

matrix anyone?

246AA83D51ECE7CB15BAC0

Islam makhachev. accoding to stats he absorbs least amount sig strikes per minute in ufc history.

basically the best way to become good at defensive striking is to have A level wrestling.

Askren's chin disagrees

It's Jose Aldo, during his reign there were pretty much no other MMA fighters who had every kind of defense. head movement, parries, slips, rolling with punches, pivoting out of the way with his strikes, keeping the center when pressuring and keeping his back off the cage when fighting off the back foot. Can't believe nobody mentioned him.

He's also one of the greatest defensive wrestlers of all time, so I'd say he's the best overall defensive fighter.

The new generation has much better defense though.
I meant currently which is probably why he wasn't mentioned since I wrote it in present tense
But I agree with you, Aldo's defense was absurd
I think he relatively flawed in the pocket though, he did get hit in the brawl. Pretty much untouchable at distance - especially behind his jab, what a fucking monster.

Whenever I get the chance to mention my boy and be fair about it, well- I do it. Of all the disciplines and all the extensions or branches that are connected with that discipline , I throw Gegard s name into about 4-6 of them...... and there are alot of disciplines and extensions that are categorized off them.
Gegard Mousasi has been a pro since 17 and is now 33 and unbelievably in his prime with no mileage shown ( incredible).Hes only suffered one tko and has NEVER been separated from consciousness in all these years as a predominant stand up fighter.

It took 15+ for a fighter to put a mark on the legends face ( schlemenko). I dont know if hes #1 but hes up there along with his fight IQ( counter striker by nature) which goes hand in hand with topic. Awhile back- he was a bit flatfooted as a fighter but his chin made up for it ( another category he's " up there" in), but hes fixed that to a significant level.

Prime Anderson WAS clearly at top .You cant reference chael or lutter fights where Silva clearly fighting on heels so counter strike defense kind of goes out window. Its mma - not boxing- so we have to keep in mind ( mousasi jacare 2 another example of Souza holding his own standing only because of mousasi with hands down and on heels).
You are that mans fluffer, good lord.

Masvidal and gastelum have shown nice head movement. Poirier has good defensive boxing too.

Cody looked matrix esque against dom but as time goes by I think it was more of a matchup thing. Dom's striking offense is unpredictable but very bad at the same time. No power due to bad positioning and slow. His style has worked for him for a long time but it def isn't the best. Guy is hard to catch tho.

Islam makhachev. accoding to stats he absorbs least amount sig strikes per minute in ufc history.

basically the best way to become good at defensive striking is to have A level wrestling.
That’s not defensive striking....that’s grappling to avoid striking. Someone like Cruz would have some of best defensive striking.

This is why I hate when fighters go inactive, they get forgotten about.

Romero's striking defense in his last 2 fights was nothing short of impeccable. That cross-arm guard he adopted works remarkably well.

Rampage had awesome defensive boxing.
CheeryBlackAsiantrumpetfish-size_restricted.gif
jgoewd6nsa301.gif

Honorable mention - Bobby Green. Only guy I've ever seen really use a Philly Shell in MMA, which is really interesting

Back