Who had the most difficult run to a title shot?

JDS. Dude virtually cleared out the division before he got a shot.

Jon Fitch was on a 16 fight win streak, Jake Shields was on a 15 fight win streak and had been champion in numerous organizations, and Sean Sherk was one 12 fight win streak with a 31-1-1 record when they received their opportunity to lose to GSP for the undisputed WW championship of the world.

I think Dos Santos just because he had to nearly clear out the entire division to get a shot.

JDS probably. Werdum, Struve, Crocop, Gonzaga, Yvel, Nelson, and Carwin, all for a shot to face Cain Velasquez.

In play right now.

#1 - DANIEL CORMIER
- Soa Palelei
- Big Foot Silva (he got a title shot after losing this)
- Josh Barnett
- Frank Mir
- Roy Nelson
- Dan Henderson
- + Four Lower Tiered Opponents In-between

#2 KHABIB NURMAGOMEDOV
- Kamal Shalorus
- Gleison Tibau
- Thiago Tavares
- Abel Trujillo
- Pat Healy
- Rafael Dos Anjos
- + One more Opponent

#3 MATT BROWN
- Chris Cope
- Stephen Thompson
- Luis Ramos
- Mike Swick
- Jordan Mein
- Mike Pyle
- Erik Silva
- Robbie Lawler

Jds by far,and easily and he dispatched everyone without a blip

Jds fought the number 1 contender in his debut and finished him in the first
Imagine Hendricks fighting whoever was the number 1 contender when he got started he would of probably got dominated.

Between you and the TS im convinced the answer to this thread is JDS. But damn, fighting/finishing the #1 contender in your debut is amazing. Especially since JDS wasnt really on many peoples radar. I cant think of another situation where a debutant has beeten the number 1 contender. It woulda been like Cote KOing Tito when they fought. Which reminds me, did Cote drop him?

Jon Fitch and Johny Hendricks had pretty tough runs but Fitch's run was full if decisions with one finish of Alves and Hendrick's run had a few split decisions... obviously finishing people will leas ti a greater claim for a TS so I think JDS had the most difficult run...

Werdum (tko)
Struve (tko)
Cro Cop (eye injury? )
Yvel (tko)
ManBearPig (tko)
Then Nelson and Carwin by lopsided decision

I know Brock getting ill had something to do with it, but with am amazing run like that with so many finishes, why wasn't JDS given a TS sooner?

At the time when Brock was champ the UFC Heavyweight division had 3 solid prospects who everyone knew were eventually going to fight for the title (velasquez, Carwin and Dos Santos), unfortunately for JDS he was at the back of the line. Despite JDS having more wins Carwin had more hype from the fans and media and Cain had more hype from the MMA insiders. JDS' inability to speak english at the time may have also slowed his progress down a bit.

Jon Fitch and Johny Hendricks had pretty tough runs but Fitch's run was full if decisions with one finish of Alves and Hendrick's run had a few split decisions... obviously finishing people will leas ti a greater claim for a TS so I think JDS had the most difficult run...

Werdum (tko)
Struve (tko)
Cro Cop (eye injury? )
Yvel (tko)
ManBearPig (tko)
Then Nelson and Carwin by lopsided decision

I know Brock getting ill had something to do with it, but with am amazing run like that with so many finishes, why wasn't JDS given a TS sooner?

I think it's JDS too. But he made it seem so easy, I don't know. Everybody appeared to be just the next victim. Then Cain happened.

I think JDS would have owned Brawk too, had they fought.

Last edited:
Condit didn't have the easiest road to his title shot...

Ellenberger
Rory
Hardy
DHK
Nick Diaz

Royce.

he not only had to wait for the UFC to be invented, he also had to be selected over Rickson to compete in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back