Who had a better career? Nick or Ruthless

Who's had a better career?

• Total voters
Robbie was definitely better at his peak than Nick was.

Robbie won and defended a UFC title.

Robbie was in many more high profile fantastic fights, including some of the best WW title fights of all time.

Nick will always be a bigger cult hero, but that is more due to his persona and theatrics.

Robbie . I’m sure Diaz made more money though . Which is all that matters at the end of the day

Possibly, I wonder how much they both have right now though?

Which is all that matters at the end of the day.

Robbie won the belt and gave us really exciting close victories. Nick doesn't win any close fights and maybe gives out the finger.

I'll say that Robbie Lawler won a title from a guy who won the vacant title from him and other than that has never beat a ufc champion or former ufc champion... although he held on to the belt for a while and to compare that run with Nick's strikeforce run is actually quite comparable despite the prestige of the UFC.
Nah

Simple question.

I believe Nick will always be remembered for nostalgic purposes but Robbie unquestionably had the better career. Especially after his resurgence.

Am I in the majority or does Sherdog think I'm wrong?

Lawler has the better resume hands down. I think he's more versatile too as he has good tdd, explosiveness, and athletic ability that nick just doesn't have so he can beat a wider variety of opponents. Prime for prime nick beats Lawler though, styles make fights and all that.

They were similar high-profile attractions for SF/Elite XC for most of their runs. But Robbie became UFC champ, the #1 ranked WW, which Nick didn't reach. Nick's had a bigger following, though. And when both were young Nick won by KO. But Lawler became better later.

There was a good percentage of people on here who once thought Lawler was finished after Strikeforce and his loss to Lorenzo Larkin. His second half of his UFC career was nothing short of remarkable.
Lorenz Larkin is legit

I'll say that Robbie Lawler won a title from a guy who won the vacant title from him and other than that has never beat a ufc champion or former ufc champion... although he held on to the belt for a while and to compare that run with Nick's strikeforce run is actually quite comparable despite the prestige of the UFC.

Condit was interim at one point. Many would say Hendricks won against GSP (I disagree under the scoring at the time) and he beat Rory x2.

Worth a mention is Robbie legit fought his way back for the Hendricks rematch. He took out top ranked Matt Brown and Ellenberger to get that rematch. he didn't just get an instant and re win the belt.

Robbie was UFC champ and has multiple iconic wars. His high was higher. His history is also really cool. From training at MFS with Jens, Sylvia, etc. and still being competitive for the next 20 years? That's nuts.

Nick had more notoriety, but, I mean, how do you quantify that?

who got paid more in their last 10 fights? that should be the answer

I disagree. He got everything out of his career he could get according to his talent level. It's actually impressive that a guy with his record was able to get the standing he got

I don't think that's accurate. He wasted his 30s not fighting. I would have liked to see him fight the Robbie Lawler that won the title.

Robbie of course. Winning the UFC belt and defending it is better than anything Diaz has done.

I'd say Robbie. Though who will be remembered in 100 years... maybe Diaz.

This poll is recency bias plain and simple.
If it had been done a week ago it would have been near even.
Peak Nick was >> Lawler.

This out of shape Nick was a gift and shouldn't have happened even though it was a great fight.
In shape Diaz still whoops Lawler and will still be remembered for the faceplant KO over this technical phone booth fight with both way past prime.
Nope, you just have to be ridiculous and think Nick's Strikeforce run was something special when it really wasn't.

Robbie has better wins and it's not even debatable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back