Who do you think is the bigger money fight Diaz or Thompson?

Diggem

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I think Diaz is a lot bigger money fight than Thompson. I don't think anybody outside of this forum knows who Thompson is.

Diaz.

But the money fight doesn't always make sense as a matchup and if we're ok with that we're setting a very dangerous precedent. Fuck the "money fight", fuck what "the champ wants". Rankings exist for a reason and I like to believe that this reason is not just to create controversy.

I don't see how Nick Diaz can bring that much more money than Thompson can at this point. Woodley/Diaz would be a fun fight but so would a Thompson fight and I just don't think you can justify giving the title shot to an unranked fighter who hasn't fought in a couple years and hasn't won a fight in even more years. It's a joke and this is coming from someone who likes Nick Diaz.

I think Diaz is a lot bigger money fight than Thompson. I don't think anybody outside of this forum knows who Thompson is.
I agree with you completely it's not even close.

Seriously now. Who fucking cares? I don't own stock in the UFC, and have 0 interest in who generates more money for the company.

Diaz.

But the money fight doesn't always make sense as a matchup and if we're ok with that we're setting a very dangerous precedent. Fuck the "money fight", fuck what "the champ wants". Rankings exist for a reason and I like to believe that this reason is not just to create controversy.
Woodley said it perfectly in the post
fight press conference... "We all know
how these rankings are created...."

Effectively, the rankings don't mean shit.
With such a strong presence of
privilege & selectivity between the execs
& some of the higher paid fighters-
I really can't bring myself to blame some
of these dudes at the top who have paid
their dues. Alvarez, Woodley, Hunt, etc...

You get any sort of leverage in this
sport, which only allots you small windows
of opportunity.... you fuckin' take it.

Woodley said it perfectly in the post
fight press conference... "We all know
how these rankings are created...."

Effectively, the rankings don't mean shit.
With such a strong presence of
privilege & selectivity between the execs
& some of the higher paid fighters-
I really can't bring myself to blame some
of these dudes at the top who have paid
their dues. Alvarez, Woodley, Hunt, etc...

You get any sort of leverage in this
sport, which only allots you small windows
of opportunity.... you fuckin' take it.

Ok, let's forget the rankings. There's winning streaks. Consistency. Fighting top guys and beating them. Diaz isn't qualified by any criteria whatsoever except for the "money fight" argument.

Won't he be paid with his contract states he will get paid reguardless who he fights? Does he think they are going to draw a new 1 fight agreement for one fight? Does he think he's going to get pay-per-view numbers?

Diaz. Wonderboy deserves it though and would embarrass Woodley if/ when they fight. I like Woodley but wonderboy is a horrible matchup

Fedor fighting Werdum for the title before Stipe would have made more sense than Diaz fighting Woodley at this point.

Diaz is the bigger money fight for Woodley, but Lawler is the bigger money fight for Diaz. Diaz would probably want to fight Lawler instead. Unfortunately for Woodley, it would mean having to defend his belt against the #1 contender. Poor guy.

Nice guys finish last. Look at Klitschko bros couldnt even sell fights in USA.

Thompson needs to get caught with a harem of strippers and drugs or something if he wants to sell.

Diaz by far is a bigger draw.

Diaz. Give wonderboy Robbie.
I really wanna see Diaz throw his hands up after eating a Woodly bomb and Stockton slap him a bit!

Who is the more legitimate fight? And by a fucking country mile.

Ok, let's forget the rankings. There's winning streaks. Consistency. Fighting top guys and beating them. Diaz isn't qualified by any criteria whatsoever except for the "money fight" argument.
I agree with everything that you're saying, but the money is what ANY fighter cares about more than anything else.
Weidman, A proud New Yorker said he'd take fighting Bisping for the belt in the UK over headlining the first NY card because that's more money. Fighters are going to do what makes the most financial sense. I really don't get why people on here are giving Woodley such a hard time on this. One path leads to $$$, the other path has potential to lead to $$$$$$$$$. This is a no brainer.

He has fought & beaten top guys.

Apart from that; Woodley & others
like him are taking note of the way
the business is being ran. The org
does not care about fighters well
being and longevity. They're in it for
the short term. So they have to play
their own advocate, essentially.

Woodley is doing what any real family
man would do...looking out for his own.

I agree with everything that you're saying, but the money is what ANY fighter cares about more than anything else.
Weidman, A proud New Yorker said he'd take fighting Bisping for the belt in the UK over headlining the first NY card. Fighters are going to do what makes the most financial sense. I really don't get why people on here are giving Woodley such a hard time on this. One path leads to $$$, the other path has potential to lead to $$$$$$$$$. This is a no brainer.

Oh, I get it. I don't judge Woodley, really. He's got every right to want the money fight. I just hope the organisation don't take this route more than it already has.

He has fought & beaten top guys.

Apart from that; Woodley & others
like him are taking note of the way
the business is being ran. The org
does not care about fighters well
being and longevity. They're in it for
the short term. So they have to play
their own advocate, essentially.

Woodley is doing what any real family
man would do...looking out for his own.

Yes, he has fought and beaten top guys. In 2011.

Yes, he has fought and beaten top guys. In 2011.
It's my opinion. & Woodley's as well.
From the post fight press conference:
"I think he's a top 5 WW all time."

The point is neither here nor there...
It's why I didn't expound upon it;
Ultimately, it doesn't matter what either
of us think about Nick's standing.

So what's the focus of discussion?
Your opinion that Diaz isn't relevant?
Or that you can't see the perspective
of fighters who double as family men
who worked their way to the top