Economy White House changes the definition of Recession

It goes from:

"Let's circle back to that."

to...

"I don't have anything on that."

to...

"How dare you ask that question, peasant! Who are you working for? Arrest them!"

Seems like the natural order of an ever evolving tyrannical government.

In addition to being the worst rated and most corrupt president ever, another feather in Biden’s cap will be the end of diversity hiring and affirmative action (between this press secretary, Harris, buttigeg, KBJ who doesn’t know what a woman is, etc). What disasters lolll

In addition to being the worst rated and most corrupt president ever, another feather in Biden’s cap will be the end of diversity hiring and affirmative action (between this press secretary, Harris, buttigeg, KBJ who doesn’t know what a woman is, etc). What disasters lolll
Worst approval rating seems to be a thing, but by what metric is he the most corrupt? As a career politician I can believe it, but so much shit gets thrown at walls that I'm curious as to a source.

Worst approval rating seems to be a thing, but by what metric is he the most corrupt? As a career politician I can believe it, but so much shit gets thrown at walls that I'm curious as to a source.

just his family with the whole selling out our country to Ukraine, China, Russia, etc. as we throw billions at Ukraine right now and enable Russia to making record profit, and are selling our oil reserves to China through a company connected to his son, just as examples.

just his family with the whole selling out our country to Ukraine, China, Russia, etc. as we throw billions at Ukraine right now and enable Russia to making record profit, and are selling our oil reserves to China through a company connected to his son, just as examples.
Derp. Forgot about his crackhead spawn and his sweetheart deals. Guess all the "well I won't vote for him" comments made an impression. Fair enough.

We truly are in Orwelian times. We had the CDC change the definition of vaccination because of how the COVID-19 vaccine worked and now the government changing the definition of recession because an election is coming up.

Words should have meaning.

We truly are in Orwelian times. We had the CDC change the definition of vaccination because of how the COVID-19 vaccine worked and now the government changing the definition of recession because an election is coming up.

Words should have meaning.
They changed the definition of a lot of things. What's a woman?

It goes from:

"Let's circle back to that."

to...

"I don't have anything on that."

to...

"How dare you ask that question, peasant! Who are you working for? Arrest them!"

Seems like the natural order of an ever evolving tyrannical government.

It reminds me of this exchange between Castro Jr and Andrew Scheer (former Conservative Party leader).

AJ: "When will the PM come clean about his ethics violations, and the corrupt process in which he awarded government funds to businesses in his riding, that had contributed to his earnings"

JT: "I have been clear, I said I will answer all questions that I am asked"

AJ: "But you have disbanded the ethics committee and blocked any attempt by parlaiment to re-form it"

JT: "Let me be clear, this is not a point for partisan politics. The chair of the ethics committee will submit their report with their findings"

AJ: "So when will you re-form the ethic committee, and then let us know why you should favourtism during government procurement?"

JT: "Again, I have been clear...."

lmao, was just about to post this. Told you on the other thread that the presser is going to be brutal. The numbers aren’t even out yet, so Thursday is going to be much more embarrassing lol.
Looking forward to some serious avoidance. I bet she’ll do her best to not answer a single question in any real way

Sexual preference was changed to be derogatory within an hour of Senator Morino saying it was during the ACB confirmation
Yep. Idiots like dark balls iirc said they doesn’t matter and worrying about dictionary definitions doesn’t matter. Lol who uses a dictionary to write research papers! The deflecting has been at max almost the entire year now

Yep. Idiots like dark balls iirc said they doesn’t matter and worrying about dictionary definitions doesn’t matter. Lol who uses a dictionary to write research papers! The deflecting has been at max almost the entire year now
My favorite is when the Orwell expert says it’s not at all like The Party changing definitions when liberals do it in real time.

They're not changing the definition. Most of you are quoting an anecdotal rule of thumb, and it's certainly common usage, but it's not a definition. Here's the definition according the the National Bureau of Economic Research (NEBR).

"A significant decline in economic activity that is spread across the economy and lasts more than a few months." - Source

They add:

"we treat the three criteria—depth, diffusion, and duration—as somewhat interchangeable. That is, while each criterion needs to be met individually to some degree, extreme conditions revealed by one criterion may partially offset weaker indications from another."​

Economists can't just look at retail sales outperforming projections, 372,000 new jobs created in June, industrial production up year over year and just call it a recession because stocks, real estate, or exports are down.

And that's not to say we aren't headed into a recession, or that economic slowdown isn't needed. There are larger discussions to be had about fluctuating values of currency, and heightened economic activity that I don't think the average person can really grasps. This thread functionally speaks to that point.

I do think it's important for the public to understand what's happening. Because 99% of the time economic slowdown is a disaster but in this case it may be a necessary way of averting an even worse disaster. It's going to be difficult ton contextualize this important distinction for the public, but I don't think baboon-esque partisan shit flinging is the ideal solution.

Last edited:
They're not changing the definition. Most of you are quoting an anecdotal rule of thumb, and it's certainly common usage, but it's not a definition. Here's the definition according the the National Bureau of Economic Research (NEBR).

"A significant decline in economic activity that is spread across the economy and lasts more than a few months." - Source

They add:

"we treat the three criteria—depth, diffusion, and duration—as somewhat interchangeable. That is, while each criterion needs to be met individually to some degree, extreme conditions revealed by one criterion may partially offset weaker indications from another."​

Economists can't just look at retail sales outperforming projections, 372,000 new jobs created in June, industrial production up year over year and just call it a recession because stocks, real estate, or exports are down.

And that's not to say we aren't headed into a recession, or that economic slowdown isn't needed. There are larger discussions to be had about fluctuating values of currency, and heightened economic activity that I don't think the average person can really grasps. This thread functionally speaks to that point.

I do think it's important for the public to understand what's happening. Because 99% of the time economic slowdown is a disaster but in this case it may be a necessary way of averting an even worse disaster. It's going to be difficult ton contextualize this important distinction for the public, but I don't think baboon-esque partisan shit flinging is the ideal solution.

The really remarkable thing is that the evidence has been posted more than once, and hacks are just pushing through with the false claim. Just completely shameless lying, and even invoking Orwell. Republican Orwell, who apparently was a big fan of lying, is possibly more offensive than Republican Jesus, whose main thing was cutting taxes for rich people.

My favorite is when the Orwell expert says it’s not at all like The Party changing definitions when liberals do it in real time.
I know. They really are so blatant about their gas lighting.

"a quarter is a period of six months"

I was starting to think the Fed was going to lie for the admin or something since this week they were starting to revise estimates to show growth. Here is the CNBC dude saying he was wrong cause it shrank quite a bit more than he thought it would.

Anyways, the ONLY spin they have is citing job numbers, which anyone with half a brian and isn't a moran can point out how flawed they are, and how we are still millions of jobs short of where we were pre-pandemic.

People simply do not have disposable income to fuel the economy because they are falling behind on rent, mortgage payments, can barely afford food, gas, energy bill. Moreover, small businesses have closed in record numbers due to lockdowns, inflation, and even rising crime.

I was starting to think the Fed was going to lie for the admin or something since this week they were starting to revise estimates to show growth. Here is the CNBC dude saying he was wrong cause it shrank quite a bit more than he thought it would.

Anyways, the ONLY spin they have is citing job numbers, which anyone with half a brian and isn't a moran can point out how flawed they are, and how we are still millions of jobs short of where we were pre-pandemic.

People simply do not have disposable income to fuel the economy because they are falling behind on rent, mortgage payments, can barely afford food, gas, energy bill. Moreover, small businesses have closed in record numbers due to lockdowns, inflation, and even rising crime.

lol @ "call it whatever you want".
it's called a recession.

Back