white belts allowed to do ankle locks??

At my last competition I found out that white belts are allowed to do ankle locks! My instructor told me they re not allowed for white belts. Which ankle locks are legal? Has anyone won with a ankle lock as a white belt? Should I start learning 50/50 guard now?

Your instructor probably just doesn't allow them in your school as a safety precaution which is fuc*ing retarded, er.. I mean, slightly misguided.

Learn everything you can. I mean, it's not like there isn't enough to learn without incorporating ankle locks as a white belt but if it's a part of the game that you gravitate towards then go for it. Just don't practice them in class if it's not cool with your instructor. Be careful and apply them slowly and you will avoid causing injuries to your training partners.

For competition, under IBJJF straight foot locks are perfectly fine (but not toe holds or heel hooks!)

This is a really common topic on the Grappling Technique board...

I think people think you're full of ****, because Cobrinha is one of the most active competitors, has a strong competition school, and is ABSOLUTELY aware of ALL the rules for IBJJF.

I'm 1000% certain that all of the teachers at Cobrinha's in LA know about straight ankle locks being legal at the white belt level..

So either you heard wrong or are just blowing smoke up everyone's ***. And seeing your other posts, I'm gonna say your trolling..

Just because they know the rules doesn't mean they allow white belts to practice any foot locks... some instructors just ban them for whites all together.

Yes he works for cobrinha. What is the big deal?? He is Brazilian and over 35 maybe he didn't keep upwith the rules

Here's the bottom line. I've had it out with everyone from unknown Brazilians to Eddie Bravo over this ONE SIMPLE CONCEPT:

If you are a paid instructor of competitive Jiu Jitsu players, it is your responsibility to have a thorough understanding of the rules and to teach those rules to your students.

That's why one simply doesn't walk into Mordor...because they let white belts do leg locks there.

Thats actually a misquote, it was "one doesn't simply walk out of mordor", they allow heel hooks from white belt

Is the Estima footlock white legal?

No. I emailed Gustavo Dantas and he said blue and up is what he has seen at the tournaments. Doesn't mean this is the end all, but he has an active comp school and is the president of the federation for our state.

No. I emailed Gustavo Dantas and he said blue and up is what he has seen at the tournaments. Doesn't mean this is the end all, but he has an active comp school and is the president of the federation for our state.

But that makes no sense, since footlocks are legal either at white or at brown. No footlock rules change at blue.

That's why one simply doesn't walk into Mordor...because they let white belts do leg locks there.

Sauron made the one ring to reap legs, and that's why it was banned.

But that makes no sense, since footlocks are legal either at white or at brown. No footlock rules change at blue.

Yeah I hear ya, I probably wouldn't risk it.

I think the estima foot lock is treated like a toehold as far as the rules go

So many haters in sherdog. I guess you call them trolls

Troll and haters. Not the same. Whitebelts have no reason to be doing leg attacks considering most cant even do a proper guard pass. Focus on that not dropping back for a sloppy spaz-esque leg lock that could do serious damage if not done properly.

Troll and haters. Not the same. Whitebelts have no reason to be doing leg attacks considering most cant even do a proper guard pass. Focus on that not dropping back for a sloppy spaz-esque leg lock that could do serious damage if not done properly.

To be fair, at white belt, regardless of your goals, focusing on not being a sloppy spaz should probably occupy most of your mental ability while training anyway.

It's the same as saying "Don't learn to armbar from mount. You need to learn how to not spaz out and just control the position." To some degree it's good advice, but buddy needs to learn how to armbar from mount too. There is nothing wrong at all with learning the Dark Side as a young padawan, provided you are still apply focus to your Jedi training.

Here's the bottom line. I've had it out with everyone from unknown Brazilians to Eddie Bravo over this ONE SIMPLE CONCEPT:

If you are a paid instructor of competitive Jiu Jitsu players, it is your responsibility to have a thorough understanding of the rules and to teach those rules to your students.

Finally, some sense regarding this. Way too many competitors at every level get DQ'd because they don't understand the rules properly, or they get finished (e.g. white belts by ankle locks) because they don't know what they can and cannot do. It's just ridiculous.

It absolutely should be the instructor's responsibility, if he's sending competitors to a tournament, to make the rules abundantly clear to those people well before they compete, so that they can work on playing by those rules in their preparation for the competition. Doing anything else is just silly.

At my club, we regularly allow more experienced people to use technique that isn't legal at their competitive level, provided that the instructor has seen them drilling and rolling and knows that they will be safe with the techniques. However, when it comes time for competition, those things all go away, and we work specifically on techniques that we can actually use in the given tournament. Everyone is taught what they are allowed to do (and more importantly what they aren't allowed to do) well enough in advance that there are no surprises whatsoever. That's the way it should be.

Finally, some sense regarding this. Way too many competitors at every level get DQ'd because they don't understand the rules properly, or they get finished (e.g. white belts by ankle locks) because they don't know what they can and cannot do. It's just ridiculous.

It absolutely should be the instructor's responsibility, if he's sending competitors to a tournament, to make the rules abundantly clear to those people well before they compete, so that they can work on playing by those rules in their preparation for the competition. Doing anything else is just silly.

At my club, we regularly allow more experienced people to use technique that isn't legal at their competitive level, provided that the instructor has seen them drilling and rolling and knows that they will be safe with the techniques. However, when it comes time for competition, those things all go away, and we work specifically on techniques that we can actually use in the given tournament. Everyone is taught what they are allowed to do (and more importantly what they aren't allowed to do) well enough in advance that there are no surprises whatsoever. That's the way it should be.

Your team takes the same approach as mine. We practice pretty much any legal moves (regardless of competitive level) we want but are aware of the rules for competition.

What people aren't understanding about the TS's instructor is that he (not that it's right but many do this) probably just disallows foot locks entirely to avoid the confusion you've seen here.... like "is an Estima lock an ankle lock or toe hold."

Yikes on the Gustavo Dantas quote. As stated, no footlock rules change at blue. To the best of my knowledge (I will refer to bossman, but I'm 95% sure we covered this at a rules meeting), the Estima footlock is a TOEHOLD.

Remember the rules come in groups of two.

16/17 AND WHITE BELT:
Straight ankle lock
Banana splits

BLUE AND PURPLE BELT:
Straight ankle lock
Banana splits
Wristlock

BROWN AND BLACK BELT:
Straight
Banana
Wrist
Kneebar
Toe hold (Estima falls here)
Calf Crunch
Bicep Crunch

Hillary, you should be made president of the IBJJF. Maybe we'll finally get some clarity and consistency in the rules. (And no more reaping DQs!)

Back