white belts allowed to do ankle locks??

I think people think you're full of ****, because Cobrinha is one of the most active competitors, has a strong competition school, and is ABSOLUTELY aware of ALL the rules for IBJJF.

I'm 1000% certain that all of the teachers at Cobrinha's in LA know about straight ankle locks being legal at the white belt level..

So either you heard wrong or are just blowing smoke up everyone's ***. And seeing your other posts, I'm gonna say your trolling..

Hold on here.

Who is souza? Does he work for Cobrinha?

Have you ask Cobrinha about the rules?

Have you taking the time to go on the IBJJF website and check the rules for yourselves?

Have you read the rules or website event if it is not an IBJJF event?

actually this is true lol souza teaches beginner classes at cobrinhas

At my last competition I found out that white belts are allowed to do ankle locks! My instructor told me they re not allowed for white belts. Which ankle locks are legal? Has anyone won with a ankle lock as a white belt? Should I start learning 50/50 guard now?

More than half my tournament wins at white belt where by straight ankle lock.

I didn't mean to put Souza on blast. So sorry if you hear about this. A lot of the other white belts at the competition seemed like they didn't know this rule either. The guy who told me didn't know either until someone did it on him. What's the big deal???!?!?

Is the toe hold considered a straight ankle lock?

No. However, my first grappling competition (as a white belt), I competed against a blue belt who submitted me with a toe hold. It was a smaller grappling tourney, and the rules in the smaller ones seem to bend a lot.

Souza is a great instructor. He taught me almost everything I know and he has been like a mentor to me. I didn't start this thread to put him or cobrinha on blast at all. I have nothing but respect towards them and I'm so thankful that I go to a top level school like cobrinha bjj. So f**k all you haters

I didn't mean to put Souza on blast. So sorry if you hear about this. A lot of the other white belts at the competition seemed like they didn't know this rule either. The guy who told me didn't know either until someone did it on him. What's the big deal???!?!?

Actually, I have seen this. My first match at white belt I had I pulled 1LX, twist sweep and finished with a straight ankle. My opponent tapped, and looked at the ref confused. The ref said it was legal, but my opponent looked surprised. He probably was under the same thought that they were not legal at white belt.

Honestly, I like 50/50 as an ankle lock position. Not so much as the game it's often used for. But I think it is useful to make it clear that sometimes when your inside foot becomes crossed over (even when you're going for a regular ankle lock) that you need to bump your hips and pass the foot over to the 50/50 position just to stop your opponent from passing your guard. If you're going to teach an ankle lock, even to white belts, sometimes you have to have a few options off it.

But yeah. Dedicated 50/50 classes at white belt? Probably not.

I believe not. Classified as a toe hold because it's rotational. Brown Belt.

I've heard it's technically legal as the word of the ruling is that "mata leao of the foot" is illegal rather than anything else. Doesn't mean a referee won't DQ for it, of course.

I mean...technically you could do an Estima footlock straight. Wouldn't be anywhere near as effective, but I guess you could. But I thought I remembered someone checking in with Alvaro and it being officially confirmed as a toehold variant.

Could be wrong.

Hillary? ^_^

At my last competition I found out that white belts are allowed to do ankle locks! My instructor told me they re not allowed for white belts. Which ankle locks are legal? Has anyone won with a ankle lock as a white belt? Should I start learning 50/50 guard now?

depends on who is hosting the tournament

Back