white belt for life?

^^
The last 2 posts are great.

Sir-Elric is obviously a glass half full guy. Everything you said is true. I remember learning things for the first time and how exciting it was. Kinda like being a kid and discovering new things in life. As you train longer some of that goes away or at least it doesn't happen as the same frequency. You also progress more in your first few months, then you will any other time. Great post.

Makaio; I definitely agree with you too. I've said for a long time that people that act like they don't care about belts are probably trying to convince themselves of that. As I said before, when your teacher straps a new belt around your waist it is a confirmation of your evolving skills. It is an achieved goal. To say it means nothing is ridiculous. i can't wait to get my purple belt. And I know I have a ways to go and that when I get there, I will deserve it. Is it the reason I train? No. Does it help me to get off my lazy ass on those day I don't want to train? Yup. Train because training is fun and healthy for you mind, body and spirit, not for belts, but always respect what a promotion symbolizes and strive to reach those goals. If nothing else it will help you maintain focus and consistency. That's my .02 cents.

why its nice to be a white belt:

1) you can tap as much as you like

2) ego doesnt (or atleast it souldnt) get hurted by tapping

3) being choked is your second more frequent form of breathing

4) you prove that flying armbar and every crazy move in general is applicable

5) you look better than anyone else with a blue gi

6) while being in guard or on your back you can think several interesting things like your grocery shoping, with who your girlfriend is cheating you, the coworker with tiny skirt that is always behinds you in the photocopy machine and etc.

7) the first time you armbaring or choke someone you feel like the king of the mat

8) lasting two minutes without taping is a great achivement

9) In every sesion you learn something new

I DNT GET WHY SOMEONE WILL CARE ABOUT THE COLOUR OF HIS BELT! MAT IS THE PROOF! if you like belts karate/tkd schools have many of them in several colours!

10) You never have to worry about leg attacks. (at least in my academy)

^ Not at my gym.....

TS, you'll get a blue belt in that 18-24 months, but getting to that purple belt or brown belt may be a bit more difficult if youa re constantly changing gyms every 18 months. Then again, as long as you keep learning, it won't really matter all that much what belt you are, as long as you can represent yourself well on the mat people will take notice and give you your due respect.

+1, this is an educated response people and IMO 100% accurate.

I do not care too much about belt color, but I do not want to be a white belt for life. I am in the military and move every 18-24 months, with that being said, will I most likely be stuck as a white belt?

Not for life. But I can tell you that it can be a mutha f*ckin pain in the ass to cut through all the politics to get a colored belt when you haven't been there for more than say 6 months.

So basically, if you get injured or can't train for half a year for whatever reason, and you're only there for a year, don't plan on getting your belt unless the instructor who does the promoting is extremely rational and has gotten to know you.

Like you I dont care about belt color either, except the problem is you need to be competing against people your own skill level, and therefore either need to borrow a belt, or insult the person you're competing against and wear a belt that doesn't do your skill level justice.

Back