Which popular fighters rub you the wrong way?

sampuncher

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
What fighters out there, who for for the most part are universally loved rub you up the wrong way for silly reasons/reasons you cant explain? Whether its their fighting style, personality etc.

For me, controversial I know but its Cowboy, I enjoy watching him fight but whenever he does interviews or speaks I tend to find him really annoying, I cant even pinpoint anything specific hes said that bothered me, I just have a dislike for him which I cant explain.

I know thats not a real reason but does this apply to anyone else? What fighters who for the most part are fan favourites do you struggle to cheer for?

What fighters out there, who for for the most part are universally loved rub you up the wrong way for silly reasons/reasons you cant explain? Whether its their fighting style, personality etc.

For me, controversial I know but its Cowboy, I enjoy watching him fight but whenever he does interviews or speaks I tend to find him really annoying, I cant even pinpoint anything specific hes said that bothered me, I just have a dislike for him which I cant explain.

I know thats not a real reason but does this apply to anyone else? What fighters who for the most part are fan favourites do you struggle to cheer for?
DC, he seems phony and is a huge Dana suck up.

There are literally NO fighters who are widely regarded as "popular" that doesn't have a huge amount of haters.

If you're popular, you've got haters. And the more popular you get, the more haters you get, even relative.

There's fighters who are loved amongst the "hardcores" and doesn't get much hate. But they aren't "popular" as such.

Sakuraba springs to mind. He's probably the least hated, most succesful.

Used to be Hendricks. I can tolerate Koscheck just fine but Hendricks just rubs me the wrong way. There's seems to be that one person that you don't like no matter what and there's no logical explanation for it.

Cormier.

Used to be both one of my favourite fighters and also MMA personalities in general during the Strikeforce era - can't stand him these days.

Used to be Hendricks. I can tolerate Koscheck just fine but Hendricks just rubs me the wrong way. There's seems to be that one person that you don't like no matter what and there's no logical explanation for it.

In my opinion, there are plenty of logical explanations for disliking Hendricks. Dude's self-absorbed, entitled, undisciplined with his MMA career and lacks even the slightest semblance of self-awareness.

I wouldn't categorize him as a popular fighter to begin with though.

MqjUixI.jpg

Last edited:
There are literally NO fighters who are widely regarded as "popular" that doesn't have a huge amount of haters.

If you're popular, you've got haters. And the more popular you get, the more haters you get, even relative.

There's fighters who are loved amongst the "hardcores" and doesn't get much hate. But they aren't "popular" as such.

I think Gaethje has potential to be someone people have a hard time disliking. The guy seems very genuine with a very fan-friendly style.

I disagree, there's a lot of fighters who dont have a huge amount of haters.

Obviously Im talking to Sherdog which would be more popular with the "hardcores" like you suggested.

Take fighters like JDS, Wonderboy, Condit, Zhang, Big Country. Sakruba is a great choice aswell.

Fighters like that you rarely see people digging them out for stuff, that was more the ballpark I was fishing in.

I think Gaethje has potential to be someone people have a hard time disliking. The guy seems very genuine with a very fan-friendly style.

I like Gaethje and he seems like a great guy outside of the cage but his eyepokes and headbutts are too consistent to be purely accidental. I think Poirier is a better example of a guy who’s impossible to dislike.

gee.. thankyou captain obvious.

Diaz brothers, especially Nate. Massive fan favourites but I dislike them both. Extremely stupid (even for cage fighter standards) and very sore losers.

So, fuck the Diaz brothers? It has been mentioned.

Jorge Masvidal, he’s a grown man using street lingo in professional interviews, he’s just a thug and mediocre fighter.

Dan Hooker? Though I know i'm not the only one.

Back