• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Which of these bands would you say is the most technically proficient?

Not sure, but "Alice In Chains" should not be in the conversation.

Cornell and Staley have very similar voices.
Corgan is the complete reverse of then.
All of then very powerful.
Sure but Layne had Jerry too. Their harmonization was top notch.

Wait you think Cornell and Staley have similar voices lol. How?

Cornell is one of the greatest rock singers of all time. Chris clearly had the best range out of just about any rock musician at the time. He was prob the best pure rock singer out there.

I don’t see how you can listen to them and think they sound the same.
I said they have similar voices not that they sound the same.

both have a clean male timbre ,both can scream very well and both can trill.
Chris had more range though and he definitely was one of the best in his time,specially in Audioslave.

Last edited:
Sure but Layne had Jerry too. Their harmonization was top notch.
Definitely.

Edit.
I saw then in Brazil,i think it was Hollywood rock festival?... Nirvana,L7.
It was a mess,specially Nrvana.

Last edited:
I said they have similar voices not that they sound the same.

both have a clean male timbre ,both can scream very well and both can trill.
Chris had more range though and he definitely was one of the best in his time,specially in Audioslave.

But they don’t have similar voices. That’s the entire point of the post.

I’m a big AiC fan and when I listen to them Layne doesn’t sound one thing like Chris. I don’t see the connection at all.

But they don’t have similar voices. That’s the entire point of the post.

I’m a big AiC fan and when I listen to them Layne doesn’t sound one thing like Chris. I don’t see the connection at all.
Okey.

I always thought Corgan got in the wrong music style for the kind of personality he have.
Had he got into straight Hard Rock he would be way more successful then he was in Grunge.

I remember reading a Corgan interview in a 90s guitar mag where he said he hated 80s cockrock and made it a point to keep his shredding/solos within reason to avoid that tryhard style. And iirc it was the same interview where he was shitting on Greenday for their dumbed down 3 chord progression song structure lol, so it seems like Corgan wanted to find a balance somewhere in the middle of those extremes. Which come to think of it actually makes sense when you listen to SP

Its soundgarden by a quite a bit

For sure they’re up there

of the ones in the op I really only know Alice In Chains and Smashing Pumpkins well enough to comment. I would say Alice in Chains

Lmao @ tool being up there

maybe the most overrated bands ever when it comes to player ability

I remember reading a Corgan interview in a 90s guitar mag where he said he hated 80s cockrock and made it a point to keep his shredding/solos within reason to avoid that tryhard style. And iirc it was the same interview where he was shitting on Greenday for their dumbed down 3 chord progression song structure lol, so it seems like Corgan wanted to find a balance somewhere in the middle of those extremes. Which come to think of it actually makes sense when you listen to SP
He tried though and for good amount of time he succeeded.
Pumpkin was the richest ,musically speaking , of all the bands of its age(IMO).

Curiously enough I remember people who complained about then being unfocused exactly because of that.

I’m sure they did

Alright cock sucker

1. Revocation
2. Obscura
3. MESHUGGA (The band tool wants to be BTW)
4. Beyond Creation
5. Allegaeon
6. Abysmal Dawn
7. Cynic
8. Dream Theater
9. Mr. Big
10. Winery Dogs (cheating cuz of Mr. Big and DT but fuck it)
11. Rush
12. Disentomb
13. Dying Fetus
14. ANY VERSION OF HOUR OF PENANCE
15. Intronaut
16. Rivers of Nihil
17. Opeth
18. Necrophagist
19. Cryptopsy
20. Gorguts

That's 20 off the top of my head and I can keep going

Alright cock sucker

1. Revocation
2. Obscura
4. Beyond Creation
5. Allegaeon
6. Abysmal Dawn
7. Cynic
8. Dream Theater
9. Mr. Big
11. Rush
12. Disentomb
13. Dying Fetus
15. Intronaut
16. Rivers of Nihil
17. Opeth
18. Necrophagist
19. Cryptopsy
20. Gorguts

Just let it slide dude

I think Tool is a band for people that don't like the sound of metal (which is fine) but they want to pretend they listen to a band due to their technical profiency and 'different' song structures instead of just saying they like the sound of the music lol

Alright cock sucker

1. Revocation
2. Obscura
4. Beyond Creation
5. Allegaeon
6. Abysmal Dawn
7. Cynic
8. Dream Theater
9. Mr. Big
11. Rush
12. Disentomb
13. Dying Fetus
15. Intronaut
16. Rivers of Nihil
17. Opeth
18. Necrophagist
19. Cryptopsy
20. Gorguts

Yep I read all of that before I responded because your limp dick response matters a lot to me

Yeah please keep going. Never heard of any of those bands

Just let it slide dude

I think Tool is a band for people that don't like the sound of metal (which is fine) but they want to pretend they listen to a band due to their technical profiency and 'different' song structures instead of just saying they like the sound of the music lol
Well I listened to a fair number of those bands on that list and even like them. I used to wear Dream Theater shirts in highschool 15 years ago. You know what though? Tool is a better band. Granted I was always more into mainstream metal and punk rock as a whole, but that's my opinion.

You know what though, when someone lists bands like Dying Fetus you know immediately they are a try hard, blow hard dick sniffer who has no meaningful opinion. And that motherfucker is proven blow hard and I only skimmed his response. He's just obnoxious and not a person worth talking to

Back