Which martial arts style would the best to start with?

flydaddy78

White Belt
Reaction score
I live in a small town and there are not alot of options. I boxed some when I was younger. I would like to train in some form of martial arts but I am not sure which style to start with. Close by I have a Tae Kwon Do place to train and a ATA black belt academy. About forty minutes away I have karate,taekwondo,judo, kungfu, and a ninja academy. And about an hour and a half I have all types of options including BJJ. What would you guys think would be my best option. I am not training to fight in competition just train for the love of the sport really. Thanks in advance.

If this is in the wrong section I am sorry.

judo... if you can go no-gi.:) Or, any other grappling style that scores for takedowns, control and subs.

Try a bunch of martial arts, find out which one(s) you like and stick with it/them.

Thanks for the fast replies. Isn't judo alot more throws than ground game?

Not sure if there are any muay thai trainers in my area.

flydaddy78 said:
Thanks for the fast replies. Isn't judo alot more throws than ground game?

Not sure if there are any muay thai trainers in my area.

Its 50/50 if you work it. Throws are opted more at tournys because in judo it is an easy, quick score compared to 'getting down'.

Really depends on the club but judo clubs probably average about 70% standup 30% groundwork.

-if it's WTF Tae Kwon Do, then meh
-but if it's ITF, try out
-stuck with boxing
-do both

BJJ, since it's the most technical to learn..I can say the same for Judo, some even say Judo is harder to learn than BJJ.

MT a year or so after training BJJ...if you want to start right away, buy a Banana bag and hang it in your garage, watch some instructional vids and practice on your footwork/punches.

if you can't travel do judo and tkd if its ITF (WTF is the shitty olympic version with no punches to the head). At least you might get some decent sparring from ITF.

I'm sorry could you repeat something, did you just say... NINJA ACADEMY?

Take Judo first if you want to stay close, but sooner or later you will have to learn some BJJ.

Yeah, in the yellow pages it had some kind of Ninja academy. I see if I can find it again.

PHWrestler2005 said:
Take Judo first if you want to stay close, but sooner or later you will have to learn some BJJ.

Why?, what say, in mma, do you do in bjj that judo doesn't offer?

Tattooed said:
a great start for mma = bjj + muay thai.

Agreed, thats what i take. They say its the best to to have. You get standup and Ground game. If you can train with a wrestler to that helps.

k1 man said:
And the 2 best p4p Gomi,Fedor is neighter muay thai nor bjj
Yet almost every other successful mma fighter trains in one or the other.

Back