Which martial arts style would the best to start with?

Ryocale said:
-if it's WTF Tae Kwon Do, then meh
-but if it's ITF, try out
Yeah. Since point sparring is useful knowledge in MMA :rolleyes:

If you do any Taekwondo at all, do WTF. It condones continuous sparring at the expense of punches, but it's more realistic than that rediculous point sparring (match stops each time a point is scored, so that it can be tallied. The match then resumes. Repeat as necessary).

duckbillstyle said:
drunkn style is taught at the bar by the way. whitebelts start out w/wine coolers and work they're way up to the hard liquors as black belts
Of course, Tank is a very successful fighter today :) !

jonny rotten said:
if you can't travel do judo and tkd if its ITF (WTF is the shitty olympic version with no punches to the head). At least you might get some decent sparring from ITF.
Why do people think this?

ITF TKD is no-contact sparring. They don't hit each other. They also stop after each point.

WTF TKD is full contact, non-stop sparring. No punches to the face, but then again, Kyokushin has no punches to the face either, and nobody disses it.

JackBurton said:
I'm sorry could you repeat something, did you just say... NINJA ACADEMY?

lol i thought that all the "ninja acadamies" went out of business immediatly following the pat smith v "american ninja" scott morris fight.

Yo thats super close to my house, so close i can almost walk.
If your close to that screw it, and go here. MemphisBJJ.com
Im not just saying that because i train here, but they have trained alot of fighters.
This place took me a long time to find but payed off as it teaches Muay Thai, Brazilian jujitsu, and much much more.
The brazilian jujitsu there is amazing, and the Muay thai is awesome as well.

If you drive from the place you just posted, it would take you about 15 mins which isnt to bad.

flydaddy78 said:
Isn't sambo similar to BJJ? And what style is Gomi considered?

Sambo is more like Judo then BJJ i believe. Combat sambo is Judo + kick boxing.....prob the closest thing to mma out of all the single disciplines.

Go to all of them, most decent gyms let you attend a free for your first session.
Sometimes the trainer & other students are more important to your training than the style.
Try them all & do the one you see as being most useful in your own opinion.
Don't just go for the style that someone else that you've never met does in a gym hundreds of miles away from the gym that you'll be training at.

Evil Eye Gouger said:
Why do people think this?

ITF TKD is no-contact sparring. They don't hit each other. They also stop after each point.

WTF TKD is full contact, non-stop sparring. No punches to the face, but then again, Kyokushin has no punches to the face either, and nobody disses it.
Do you think people would diss WTF TKD if they allowed low kicks?

flydaddy78 said:
I live in a small town and there are not alot of options. I boxed some when I was younger. I would like to train in some form of martial arts but I am not sure which style to start with. Close by I have a Tae Kwon Do place to train and a ATA black belt academy. About forty minutes away I have karate,taekwondo,judo, kungfu, and a ninja academy. And about an hour and a half I have all types of options including BJJ. What would you guys think would be my best option. I am not training to fight in competition just train for the love of the sport really. Thanks in advance.

If this is in the wrong section I am sorry.

DO NOT DO ATA TAEKWONDO... IT IS A JIP..... (american system sux)

fuck karate, kung fu and TKD, boxing is better than all them, keep boxing and add a ground game

Every boxer thinks they are great until one of their students kicks their legs out.

I STRONGLY recommend you stay away from ATA Taekwondo. I trained in WTF in my earlier years and spend a couple years at ATA. Although I never personally went to the instructors program (I was 18 when they offered it to me, which told me something about them), 3 of my friends were inducted. After they finished the instructor program, 2 quit. The other slowly stopped going to TKD. One of the main subjects they learned were how to attract customers to your business.

Here's a list of reasons why NOT to go:
-When the head instructor is gone, you may have a 12 year old teaching class. Yes, he/she is a black belt.
-Kids achieve black belts in less than 4 years.
-Point sparring
-Most of your time will be spent on forms and board breaking
-90% of the seminars they offer are horribly instructed.

Now this has to do with the school I went to. However, I keep hearing many things about ATA that give it negative reputation. I simply suggest you stay away from it. McDojo on the definate level.

But my recommendation to you, is Judo.

id try starting out with muay thai and submission wrestling

Back