which martial art should i focus on?

it depends on your goals. If you want to be a successful wrestler then stick to wrestling. If you want to be a king of the mats then do bjj and wrestling at the same time. But if you want to be a mma fighter in the future then take muay thai

Why the fuck people don't want to learn kicks, knees, elbows and clinch is beyond me.

You see guys like Joe Stevenson who only have a boxing game and are 2-dimensional fighters.

Or even BJ Penn who if he had a fucking Muay Thai game probably could have wrecked Frankie Edgar.

Look at Rampage and Henderson, over-reliance on your hands in MMA is not the smartest way to go about things. It can get you far if you have talent, power, and raw ability but without honing all your other weapons is also just being wasteful, IMO.

You already have a really damn good sprawl and takedown defense for being a wrestler, I say take Muay Thai and learn to leg all your weapons go, not be afraid of getting taken down in MMA because of your wrestling background. YOU WON'T BE SCARED TO THROW THE HARD KICKS. You will be more well-rounded than your typical wrestler/boxer hybrid, or the old school (and currently less viable) MT/BJJ hybrid.

muy thai seems pretty interesting too

not sure if i'll excel at it though haha
i can barely kick up to my head

At 16 you have plenty of time to try different stand up styles to see which ones
work for you. And you will learn something useful from all of them.
Good luck!

I would go with muay thai. Learn how to kick, knee, punch, elbow and clinch. I think that muay thai goes especially well with wrestling because of (1) the squared stance that is more similar to a wrestling stance than other striking forms (it's way easier to sprawl from than say a traditional boxing stance where the stance is more narrow), and (2) the clinch game.

300px-Shun.jpg

muy thai seems pretty interesting too

not sure if i'll excel at it though haha
i can barely kick up to my head

that comes with practice. If you start muay thai and you have decent flexibility, I bet you could do a decent head kick within 6 months. Probably not a very strong one, but you could get your leg up there.

You're fucking retarded.

But keep sticking to those shitty leg kicks they teach you.

What? Boxing and BJJ don't utilize leg kicks, do you not know what boxing is?

Boxing is the simplest striking discepline to learn in a short amount of time. It less comprehensive than muay thai but effective enough to keep you competitive on your feet. With a backround in wrestling, BJJ would make you a dangerous ground fighter, hence the lack of a need for a diverse collection of strikes.

FadeIntoViolence is a retarded name.

very helpful guys

i think this is what im gonna do

theres this gym that i can drive to and it only takes 10 mins
they offer muy thai, bjj, and basic mma classes

I think i'll attend this gym
what i'm thinking is

my muy thai will suffice so I'm not a sitting duck on the standing game

and bjj + wrestling on the ground so I can dominate the ground game with gnp and submissions

im pretty excited but I won't start classes until wrestling season is over, got 2 more years to shoot for that state title

If your as good as you say you are at wrestling... stick with it, get as good as you possibly can... and get money to wrestle for a D1 school... trust me your parents will thank you...

Muay Thai is more versatile and the transition is easier because you're already squared up anyways, whereas in Boxing, you're slanted to be a smaller target, which really only works in Boxing and maybe TKD, but I don't see it. But in all honesty, with your credentials in wrestling, you could probably just shoot from the get-go and GnP to victory, so instead of striking, I would say actually do BJJ instead. You got the takedowns and the takedown defense down already. Now you just need the ground grappling. And no, you CANNOT just slam out of everything! I point you to Exhibit A, Nick Lentz vs. Bruce Leroy. This is what normally happens to anybody besides Rampage, Matt Hughes, and Sarah Kauffman who try and powerbomb every thing. And I know that from experience. : )

BJJ (or Catch Wrestling) to make your ground game godly.

And for striking, Muay Thai over boxing for the simple reason you have no striking experience so far, and you NEED to become well-versed, and well-rounded on your feet.

Even if you don't plan on striking much, having learned how to DEFEND AGAINST all those weapons instead of just 2 (boxing) is going to be more useful. Many guys can't defend a leg kick for crap, it's sad to see.

Later on if you find you wanna specialize in boxing go for it, if you like kicking better stick to MT, who knows what you will enjoy doing the most once you start MMA man, it's the best blend of everything and you may even become a better striker than grappler, that's the beauty of it all. :)

BJJ (or Catch Wrestling) to make your ground game godly.

And for striking, Muay Thai over boxing for the simple reason you have no striking experience so far, and you NEED to become well-versed, and well-rounded on your feet.

Even if you don't plan on striking much, having learned how to DEFEND AGAINST all those weapons instead of just 2 (boxing) is going to be more useful. Many guys can't defend a leg kick for crap, it's sad to see.

Later on if you find you wanna specialize in boxing go for it, if you like kicking better stick to MT, who knows what you will enjoy doing the most once you start MMA man, it's the best blend of everything and you may even become a better striker than grappler, that's the beauty of it all. :)

yesss that's what i was thinking haha
when me and my friends screw around I love to ground and pound them haha

Just to reiterate what was stated earlier. There are multiple stand up styles that translate well to MMA. I would argue MT, boxing, Kyokushin Karate (or an offshoot) are all viable options. However, far more important than the style is the gym. A quality instructor goes a long long way. Don't choose a place by what art they do. Choose it by the quality of instruction, the other people that train there, as well as the price and how often you can attend practice.

Also, don't give up on your wrestling. If you are good at it and tend to enjoy it, keep it up. Do another martial art during your off season. Good wrestling will take you far in a ring or a cage, and in terms of college.

Muay Thai is the best striking art, if you combine that with the TDD you have from wrestling you'll be a beast.
Boxing requires less time to learn and there are fewer techniques to focus on but don't forget, learning martial arts is a marathon not a sprint so don't pick whatever one is simplest to learn for that lone reason, MT gives you more weapons to use so I'd go for that, I'm hugely biased though ha.

Muay Thai is not the best striking art in MMA. Boxing should be the main focus in MMA for striking, but MT defense is a must.

To the guy saying if Penn had some thai boxing he'd beat edgar. Easier said than done. That's like saying, If Ben Saunders didn't thai plum so much against Fitch he wouldn't have his ass on the floor too often, or If Irvin didn't leg kick, he wouldn't have been knocked down by Silva.

There's this guy name giorgio petrosyan, who is a good MT/boxer, and he wrecked this MT champ with countering his kicks, catching his kicks and with his boxing in a k-1 match. This is more or less what MMA is going to look like in a few years. People are going to nullify kicks knees more than ever.

There's this guy name giorgio petrosyan, who is a good MT/boxer, and he wrecked this MT champ with countering his kicks, catching his kicks and with his boxing in a k-1 match. This is more or less what MMA is going to look like in a few years. People are going to nullify kicks knees more than ever.

Dude's a European style MT fighter who won against another MT fighter. The only thing you can conclude is that Petrosyan is the better fighter.

Back