which martial art should i focus on?

Jeremygp24

White Belt
Reaction score
I am currently 16, a Junior, and I was a pretty decent wrestler last year. I qualified for state and won 1st in my conference. I also believe I am a much better wrestler this year. I have a lot of interest in MMA and I am looking into taking some stand up martial arts classes.
Which would go well with wrestling?
I am currently 152 LBS, 5'10. I can cut to 145 but I don't think I can cut anymore because I am pretty lean and the 7 pounds I cut is pretty much water weight.

Everyone will have their own opinions and at the end of the day, YOU must decide which you feel will be best for you.

With that, in my opinion, I think the best to learn is boxing. Boxing helps you learn so much that martial arts doesn't teach you. You will learn: proper footwork, balance, stance, offense, defense, head movement, timing, proper punching mechanics, and body rotation.

This isn't a bash on anything else. I really think that if you came into MMA with a few years of solid boxing, then you would do well with your wrestling credentials. Learning boxing also helps you pick up things like kickboxing a little easier.

In the end, remember it's your choice.

There's actually a boxing place about a 5 minute drive away from my place that I was considering. I also think Muy Thai would be cool but I have like no striking experience what-so-ever haha

Me and my friends occasionally do boxing matches with boxing gloves, kinda anxious to see what the MMA gloves feel like when they hit your face though

Well I'm a Thai boxer so I'm biased obviously, yes Boxing is a more specialized martial art but Muay Thai I feel would be a great compliment as well. Plus, learning how to strike, defend, move and use ALL 8 OF YOUR WEAPONS NATURALLY will be a huge asset to MMA.

You might pick up habits in boxing that you find hard to break later on if you move to MMA/Thai boxing sorta deal, and vice versa. Take the one you want and stick with that. Do you just wanna punch people or do you want to elbow, knee, kick, clinch and throw as well?

white belt thread

O_O

but seriously, try boxing. along with your wrestling youll dominate. youll get other kinds of techniques later.

grapple with your friends regularly. thats what i do, and im pretty good at jiu jisu :D, but not good enough :[

Boxing during the off season for wrestling, basically footwork and getting familiar with striking. If you have the chance a couple amateur boxing fights might be a good experience as well.

Muay Thai can be good... but it's not as consistent, just depends on where you are located. Boxing is everywhere, and a official "sport" which makes things easier when it comes to getting fights.

Aikido , Kung fu and Tae Kwon Do because they really work in real life and MMA and chicks wont laugh at you.

BJJ and Boxing

Everything other suggestion is fucking retarded.

Just go to whatever the best school is in your area, whether it's boxing or muay thai or kyokushin or whatever. It's easy to just say "boxing" or "muay thai" but for all we know the place that teaches muay thai in your area could be garbage.

Just go to whatever the best school is in your area, whether it's boxing or muay thai or kyokushin or whatever. It's easy to just say "boxing" or "muay thai" but for all we know the place that teaches muay thai in your area could be garbage.

This.

But yeah I started with boxing and then went to muay thai and noticed that boxing was a very good base for footwork and basic standup.

This. Especially at your age, i imagine transportation/money/scheduling may make things a bit more difficult. Look at all the schools that you can easily get to, figure out which ones you can afford and which ones have schedules that work for you, then go to each one and watch a class. Whichever seems best, take that one. It's all well and good to discuss which art is the best, and that certainly has a time and place, but the world's best martial art won't do you any good if you can't train it regularly.

That said, if you're in the US, there's almost certainly a good boxing instructor who will teach you for little or no money if you're still in high school. Lots of boxing programs for teens.

Boxing TS.

Wrestling and Boxing mix together extremely well.

I'd say learn a bit of BJJ and or boxing to start and go from there but keep up with the wrestling you are quite young and have a lot of time ahead of you much like this 8th grader at my BJJ gym he won state and 2nd in nationals as a wrestler he's trying to learn how to fight off his back and submissions that you don't usually get in wrestling....

You definitely need some BJJ, even if you never plan on submitting someone. You'll never get past low level MMA competition without some sort of BJJ defense, no matter how good your striking gets. After that, you can pick which ever striking style fits your preference or convenience.

if you can find a quality gym wich teaches an all encompassing mma class then that could be an option too,you already have a base style in wrestling so if mma is the goal you may aswell train mma,you will learn a hybrid style of boxing/muay thai without the techniques that dont cross over and of course you will get to train in submissions too.

With a wrestling background, the first thing I would add is stand up, be it boxing, MT, or KK. After high school/college, your wrestling background should transition well into BJJ.

I'd say learn a bit of BJJ and or boxing to start and go from there but keep up with the wrestling you are quite young and have a lot of time ahead of you much like this 8th grader at my BJJ gym he won state and 2nd in nationals as a wrestler he's trying to learn how to fight off his back and submissions that you don't usually get in wrestling....

oooh yeah me and my friends have done some submission grappling from what we see in MMA and I gotta tell ya, it feels reallly wierd being on my back haha. I feel like I'm getting pinned.

but yeah I'm leaning towards boxing.
My best traits in wrestling is my sprawl/take down defense and takedowns.
I feel that boxing would compliment my wrestling pretty well

Back