Which Karate style is better for mma?

ugh.
I do Goju and we spar essentially Muay Thai rules but we use Goju techniques.
Not all schools of one school are the same.
Only similarity is all Goju legit schools do the same kata.
that would be fun to see. Are you guys okinawan or japanese goju ryu?

Didn't mean "pro" as in "pro fighter" but as in "expert in given field". Maybe I'm wrong and he is more of a boxer, that doesn't change the point I made - he decided to cross train Karate to try something new and improve his game. I think Anderson Silva did as well.

I think Vitor picked it up pretty late in his career (around 2009 or so)...never heard about Anderson training Karate but I believe his original standup base was TKD.

I think Vitor picked it up pretty late in his career (around 2009 or so)...never heard about Anderson training Karate but I believe his original standup base was TKD.
That's true, I think he cross-trained with Lyoto out of curiosity.

ugh.
I do Goju and we spar essentially Muay Thai rules but we use Goju techniques.
Not all schools of one school are the same.
Only similarity is all Goju legit schools do the same kata.

He asked about Goju Ryu sparring. And Goju Ryu sparring looks like this:

That's true, I think he cross-trained with Lyoto out of curiosity.

Yup...at Black House, I believe. They both live in my area here in LA.

mma_s_macglyoto_576.jpg

20100710012957_IMG_43652_JPG.jpg

That's WKF sparring. That is Japanese Goju-Ryu, not Okinawan Goju-Ryu. It is what Gunnar Nelson trained.

That's WKF sparring. That is Japanese Goju-Ryu, not Okinawan Goju-Ryu. It is what Gunnar Nelson trained.

There is one Goju Ryu, period. And it's origin is Okinawan. I have asked people within Goju Ryu, and even linked to this site, and they dispute your above claim..

Last edited:
There is one Goju Ryu, period. And it's origin is Okinawan. I have asked people within Goju Ryu, and even linked to this site, and they dispute your above claim..

I know you're a troll account and it's shocking that you still haven't been banned, but just incase people come to this thread...

Okinawan Goju-Ryu is the more classical version of Goju, it looks a lot more like Kyokushin (although with significantly less contact).

Japanese Goju-Ryu is any school that is part of the World Karate Federation and competes in WKF tournaments. These tournaments are pretty much modified JKA tournaments, and so they are mainly for Shotokan and Shito styles. Goju schools that are part of the WKF mainly train Shotokan point Karate while learning Goju-Ryu katas.

So, there you go.

I know you're a troll account and it's shocking that you still haven't been banned, but just incase people come to this thread...

Okinawan Goju-Ryu is the more classical version of Goju, it looks a lot more like Kyokushin (although with significantly less contact).

Japanese Goju-Ryu is any school that is part of the World Karate Federation and competes in WKF tournaments. These tournaments are pretty much modified JKA tournaments, and so they are mainly for Shotokan and Shito styles. Goju schools that are part of the WKF mainly train Shotokan point Karate while learning Goju-Ryu katas.

So, there you go.

There are no Okinawa Goju Ryu schools as opposed to Japanese Goju Ryu schools. I know because I asked. See how easy it is, and why one shouldn't trust Sherdog for information?

I challenge you to link to a Okinawa style Goju Ryu school, clearly labelled as such. And then to a Japanese style Goju Ryu school.

So they don't punch to the face? Or what do you mean by looks alot like Kyokushin. Kyokushin is characterised by hard contact, so that statement makes very little sense.

So they don't punch to the face? Or what do you mean by looks alot like Kyokushin. Kyokushin is characterised by hard contact, so that statement makes very little sense.
yeah no contact to the face.Mas oyama was a black belt in okinawan goju ryu.

yeah no contact to the face.Mas oyama was a black belt in okinawan goju ryu.

Mas Oyama was a black belt in Japanese Goju ryu (eventually became Goju-kai) - he studied under Yamaguchi & So.

Okinawan Goju ryu is a very similar to Kyokushin (in terms of conditioning) - Kyokushin is a bit more modern with more emphasis on harder contact. Goju ryu has irikumi go which is sparring/competitions with head punches & limited grappling AND also no head punches - Kyokushin on the other hand is no head punches.

As for the differences; Kyokushin has a lot more content (Shotokan & Japanese Goju) - Okinawan Goju has less content.

Mas Oyama was a black belt in Japanese Goju ryu (eventually became Goju-kai) - he studied under Yamaguchi & So.

Okinawan Goju ryu is a very similar to Kyokushin (in terms of conditioning) - Kyokushin is a bit more modern with more emphasis on harder contact. Goju ryu has irikumi go which is sparring/competitions with head punches & limited grappling AND also no head punches - Kyokushin on the other hand is no head punches.

As for the differences; Kyokushin has a lot more content (Shotokan & Japanese Goju) - Okinawan Goju has less content.
oh my mistake.

I still haven't had it explained the organisational difference between Okinawan and Japanese Goju Ryu - What organisation then does Okinawan Goju Ryu belong to? I have enquired this myself, and the Goju people I spoke to claim that there is no distinction.

Back