Which Karate style is better for mma?

Seen JKA guys bounce too.
they also wear stupid safety shoes and head pillows.

illustration:
402621b8f4b12324270a6f0294fdd7e5.jpg

I think Goru Ryu is the best Karate style for MMA. It combines the Kyokushin hard training, with close range fighting (unlike Shotokan). And, unlike Kyokushin, includes extensive training with punches to the face.

Last edited:
they also wear stupid safety shoes and head pillows.

illustration:
402621b8f4b12324270a6f0294fdd7e5.jpg

Literally nothing to add outside of how much I love your avatar. Bendis/Maleev was the best Daredevil run IMO.

I think Goru Ryu is the best Karate style for MMA. It combines the Kyokushin hard training, with close range fighting (unlike Shotokan). And, unlike Kyokushin, includes extensive training with punches to the face.

But is it full contact?

But is it full contact?
in the same sense that kyokushin is. . you wont have amateur sports having people ko'd the way you do with boxing ,mma and muay thai where people get paid. The sparring and techniques are similar because kk comes from goju ryu.

Last edited:
Machida is a classic example of what the benefits of JKA Karate can be for MMA. I think it's important to remember that Machida is a JKA Shotokan karateka and more importantly at the beginning of his ufc career (for a vast chunk of it) he was a purist in terms of his Karate - it was textbook JKA Shotokan.

That said in the beginning Machida wasn't nearly as impressive with his Karate (prior the ufc). It took him many many fights to adjust his Karate to MMA because for many years he was used to competing in JKA tournaments. He eventually made the transition, adapted and had a lot of success.

Wonderboy too & others have had to take a lot of time to adapt their Karate to the MMA format but that's because they spent a lot of time competing in formats that were very different to MMA - therein lies the biggest hurdle for all karateka.

Karate imho is just as good as any striking style but as you've said you need to train in an environment where you can grapple to learn to make the adjustments from the get go - so you aren't playing years of catch up from competing in tournaments outside of MMA.

I have no desire to learn Karate but do you think it would be beneficial to or make a mess of the Muay Thai training I've done over the last half decade? Specifically if Lyoto was the instructor...

I guess you can't really answer that question directly for me but as a general premise...what do you think?

I have no desire to learn Karate but do you think it would be beneficial to or make a mess of the Muay Thai training I've done over the last half decade? Specifically if Lyoto was the instructor...

I guess you can't really answer that question directly for me but as a general premise...what do you think?
If Lyoto was the instructor it would surely be beneficial! :)
Belfort trained Shotokan at some point in his career, when he was already a MT pro. It can be beneficial if you train with an open mind, you can later try out new ideas and approaches in MT. Training MT kicks improved my Karate kicks, I think the opposite can work as well.

I don't think Karate training will mess with your Muay Thai training in general - it will take a bit of time to meld the two together. To that end it depends on how much you absorb into your MT - if you make big fundamental changes like your stance then it will mess with it a bit & might take time to adapt. If it's general techniques or application - not so much but that's really dependent on what you want to use.

It also depends on the instructor. I've come across a rigid Karate instructor in the past that had an issue with everything I did and tried to change it because to him it didn't fit with his definition of Karate even though he knew I had other influences in my Karate - he basically tried to get me to eradicate those influences and fight 100% karate.

So it depends on what kind of instructor Lyoto is - I'd imagine because he does MMA he's pretty damn flexible about stuff like that. I'd guess that in your situation you should be alright - I mean you'll know right away if it's messing with your MT.

Spacetime is a poor troll account but he is right in that the first clip posted was 80s/90s era JKA. The JKA nowadays has a lot less contact.

Spacetime is a poor troll account but he is right in that the first clip posted was 80s/90s era JKA. The JKA nowadays has a lot less contact.

Sigh,.. No, that's not what I said. Read it again.

Belfort trained Shotokan at some point in his career, when he was already a MT pro. It can be beneficial if you train with an open mind, you can later try out new ideas and approaches in MT. Training MT kicks improved my Karate kicks, I think the opposite can work as well.

I don't think Karate training will mess with your Muay Thai training in general - it will take a bit of time to meld the two together. To that end it depends on how much you absorb into your MT - if you make big fundamental changes like your stance then it will mess with it a bit & might take time to adapt. If it's general techniques or application - not so much but that's really dependent on what you want to use.

It also depends on the instructor. I've come across a rigid Karate instructor in the past that had an issue with everything I did and tried to change it because to him it didn't fit with his definition of Karate even though he knew I had other influences in my Karate - he basically tried to get me to eradicate those influences and fight 100% karate.

So it depends on what kind of instructor Lyoto is - I'd imagine because he does MMA he's pretty damn flexible about stuff like that. I'd guess that in your situation you should be alright - I mean you'll know right away if it's messing with your MT.

Yeah...I guess it all depends on what happens with his USADA suspension length (which is weird that nothing's been released about it yet from back in April). Chinzo is currently the instructor at Black House for the Machida Karate program and it's about 15 mins from my place but their new dojo will be opening soon. If Lyoto actually instructs there, I'll most likely be signing up and splitting time between MT and Karate. If not, I'll be sure to post some pics of my visit lol.

outside of mma belfort has one pro boxing fight. do you know otherwise?

outside of mma belfort has one pro boxing fight. do you know otherwise?
Didn't mean "pro" as in "pro fighter" but as in "expert in given field". Maybe I'm wrong and he is more of a boxer, that doesn't change the point I made - he decided to cross train Karate to try something new and improve his game. I think Anderson Silva did as well.

(...)It also depends on the instructor. I've come across a rigid Karate instructor in the past that had an issue with everything I did and tried to change it because to him it didn't fit with his definition of Karate even though he knew I had other influences in my Karate - he basically tried to get me to eradicate those influences and fight 100% karate. (...)
I really HATE guys like that. Seriously, how do you define "PURE" Karate? That is such BS.

Looking at the history of say, JKA Shotokan, you have:
Shorei (Naha-te) + Shorin (modified Shaolin Kung Fu) + Pinan kata (from China) + Tegumi + some Judo + round kicks introduced by Gigo + changes due to competition rules

Or for modern Kyokushin, you have:
Shotokan (see above) + Goju (Naha-te Shaolin + White crane styles + Tegumi) + Muay Thai influences + changes due to competition rules

Old masters like Matsumura, Itosu, Asato etc would cross-train anything they could get their hands on. They would travel to China to learn from others and implement new techniques into their Karate. Nobody gave a flying f#uck about how "pure" any style was as long as it worked. Hell, even if you look at various modern kata they look like completely different martial arts - BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THEY REPRESENT! Different martial arts!

Karate was supposed to be the most efficient mix of any and all martial arts you ever came across - much like today's MMA! That's why I absolutely despise Karate teachers who shun/prohibit any kind of tiny variations in techniques "because that's not Karate anymore".

Everything I have learned until this day in Shotokan, Kyokushin, Judo, boxing, Sanda, BJJ, Aikido and MMA is "my Karate" - my own style. Funakoshi never called his Karate "Shotokan", he disliked defining styles as such because he knew what it would lead to - isolation, ignorance and stagnation!

/rant

@Hotora86

Yeah unfortunately that kind of attitude is prevalent in Karate. In my case what I was doing didn't fit with his interpretation of Kyokushin (even though I learnt all that stuff in KK & Karate) - to him it wasn't proper Karate even though I was effectively using all that stuff in sparring (unless I was tired & completely gone lol) and given that was after 4-5 months off from training (and it was working well for me still). He did point out some legit criticisms though so I'm grateful for that. Luckily in Kudo my instructor doesn't really mind as long as what we do works and that we make sure we do it well.

But yeah it is strange how a lot of instructors especially in Karate have an issue with you doing a technique or something in a way that they aren't familiar with or that they don't think is Karate. I mean like you said everyone's interpretation or style of Karate is different - we all have different influences after all.

No. It looks disastrous as of today.
ugh.
I do Goju and we spar essentially Muay Thai rules but we use Goju techniques.
Not all schools of one school are the same.
Only similarity is all Goju legit schools do the same kata.

Back