Which Karate style is better for mma?

Ibra is of Bosnian / Croatian descent bro. :p
I'm more of a Mamed Khalidov ;) (Russian-born Polish citizen).

Ha ha, it was not aimed at all at your origins.

I could have as well written Broseph, or Bromion, or some other stupid shit, lol.

My father was a competitor in JKA, and I have shown him the clips. He says that were disqualified or penalised. That's not how a typical JKA fight looks like.
That's no proof.
My sensei said that's how they used to compete back in his days after Karate was introduced to Poland by Ilija Jorga, who was taught by Tesuji Murakami, Taiji Kase and Hidetaka Nishiyama.
So it's my word against yours.

That's no proof.
My sensei said that's how they used to compete back in his days after Karate was introduced to Poland by Ilija Jorga, who was taught by Tesuji Murakami, Taiji Kase and Hidetaka Nishiyama.

I can confirm that in those JKA tournaments in Japan it's not against the rules to make contact. The objective is still to land 1 clean strike to score a point though, and the technique has to be executed properly. If it lands clean and hurts the opponent you don't get warned or disqualified as long as it's a legal technique executed properly.

I haven't seen such a tournament in Europe where contact is not penalised though (I did 2 years with JKA as a teenager before moving house and having to switch to a WKF dojo), but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

So it's not just your word against spacetime the shit talker, it's also my word + your word vs his.

Have a nice day

I can confirm that in those JKA tournaments in Japan it's not against the rules to make contact. The objective is still to land 1 clean strike to score a point though, and the technique has to be executed properly. If it lands clean and hurts the opponent you don't get warned or disqualified as long as it's a legal technique executed properly.

I haven't seen such a tournament in Europe where contact is not penalised though (I did 2 years with JKA as a teenager before moving house and having to switch to a WKF dojo), but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

So it's not just your word against spacetime the shit talker, it's also my word + your word vs his.

Have a nice day
Thanks bro. Karate for life. :cool:

That's no proof.

You are penalised for excessive force. KOs, unless the opponents steps into it, are disqualifying. Read the rules.

You are penalised for excessive force. KOs, unless the opponents steps into it, are disqualifying. Read the rules.

The exact quote is "excessive contact, going beyond the target, “wild” swinging techniques" (24-1a JKA rulebook) - note how you misquoted to make your point.

"Excessive contact" doesn't mean you can't hit properly.

The same rules state that an ippon will only be awarded for "proper execution and power of the technique". (21-2a JKA rulebook)

So how about YOU read the rules first, eh?
Have YOU actually competed in Karate?
Have YOU been penalized for "excessive contact"? I haven't.

The exact quote is "excessive contact, going beyond the target, “wild” swinging techniques" (24-1a JKA rulebook) - note how you misquoted to make your point.

"Excessive contact" doesn't mean you can't hit properly.

The same rules state that an ippon will only be awarded for "proper execution and power of the technique". (21-2a JKA rulebook)

So how about YOU read the rules first, eh?
Have YOU actually competed in Karate?
Have YOU been penalized for "excessive contact"? I haven't.

KO´s are prohibited. What part of that don't you understand?

Enjoy:

Enjoy:

What exactly does this video with reasonably hard contact and no KOs or penalties for "excessive contact" exactly prove? Oh, did you want to make a point that hard contact isn't actually penalized? Then you did it, thanks! :)

Most Shotokan dojos, organisations and competitions in the world don't allow contact.
Only some organisations in Japan still allow contact, and even then it's only one hit at a time and no combinations.

That's a huge exaggeration. I train in a SKIF shotokan dojo in Scandinavia and we have light to medium contact every sparring session - and full contact in principle for "free combat" (though we still hold back a bit).

Enjoy:

Though you can't go directly from this to mma, there is plenty in that video that mma fighters could benefit from studying and applying into their style. It's hard to understand why you would post this as a knock against karate.

spacetime has gotten really weak since his days as the karate stylist.

Though you can't go directly from this to mma, there is plenty in that video that mma fighters could benefit from studying and applying into their style. It's hard to understand why you would post this as a knock against karate.

I didn't post it as a knock on Karate, it was about entertainment value.

My point is that it does not look like the highlight reel previously posted. It was not representative of JKA at all. JKA is fairly boring, and not more contact than the other light contact organizations.

That's a huge exaggeration. I train in a SKIF shotokan dojo in Scandinavia and we have light to medium contact every sparring session - and full contact in principle for "free combat" (though we still hold back a bit).

As much as I would love to be wrong and there be Shotokan dojos with full contact kumite all over the place, realistically it's the minority. You are lucky to be training in a Shotokan dojo that does that my friend!
Do you have any videos of your types of sparrings?

As much as I would love to be wrong and there be Shotokan dojos with full contact kumite all over the place, realistically it's the minority. You are lucky to be training in a Shotokan dojo that does that my friend!
Do you have any videos of your types of sparrings?

It really isn't harder than asking one of the guys - Do you want to spar full contact outside of class?

I'm so sad that is is WKF and not JKA that is going to be in the olympics.
Such a disappointment.

yes WKF has stupid bouncing up and down.

Back