Which fighters were ready when Dana chose 10 day camp Mendes and Cabo Nate to fight Conor?

How about what I said? Mendes went 5 rounds with Aldo, then gassed himself out in 4 minutes. You think Conor did that? That's what Im talking about, Conor dick riders somehow thinking "Conors pressure" made Chad gas? What pressure? Pressure off his back getting fucking owned the entire first round? Mendes came out dead for the 2nd round, and it had nothing to do with anything Conor did.

Chad was out of shape, as in out of fighting shape, and it showed. Not to mention he only had 10 days, which was guaranteed he spent all of that time just cutting weight so he could get in the cage ... which probably contributed even more to his terrible cardio.
Mendes was also injured.

yxaLJB.gif

Meanwhile McGregor's "80% tear" magically healed before the Aldo fight.

You can't accuse Conor or Dana of picking an easy opponent with Mendes. Mendes was about as tough of a fight as they could pick. Anybody else coming in as a replacement fighter would have also been on short notice.

My guess is a lot of top guys wanted to. But I also guess many of those guys either had matches scheduled or negotiating with either behind the scenes or publically known so the reality is probably a very short list of fighters that really could do it. Plus I'm not sure many of them cared that much either about Conor at that point of time. Remember at that point, Dustin was his best win on paper and Dustin looked similar to Conor, a very good prospect but really not proving against top guys. Max was nobody when Conor beat him. Siver on the down side of his career. Conor was just at his tipping point of becoming the crazy ass draw he became outside of Ireland/UK area.

My guess is a lot of top guys wanted to. But I also guess many of those guys either had matches scheduled or negotiating with either behind the scenes or publically known so the reality is probably a very short list of fighters that really could do it. Plus I'm not sure many of them cared that much either about Conor at that point of time. Remember at that point, Dustin was his best win on paper and Dustin looked similar to Conor, a very good prospect but really not proving against top guys. Max was nobody when Conor beat him. Siver on the down side of his career. Conor was just at his tipping point of becoming the crazy ass draw he became outside of Ireland/UK area.

Conor is as already a major star and it was for an interim title. You think there wasn’t interest? It sold huge.

False.

Chad likewise said he was in shape and training to be the replacement, and Chad was ranked higher than Frankie when Aldo was first reportedly out on June 23.

View attachment 715817

Aldo then refused to officially pull out for another 7 days until June 30, by which time yes Frankie was now for some reason ranked ahead despite not having fought or anything.

View attachment 715819

Mendes had always been ranked ahead prior to this, and was ahead when it first became known Aldo was likely out.

You said false and then proved that my point was true , bravo.

You said false and then proved that my point was true , bravo.

In that Frankie had always been ranked below Mendes for months, including when Aldo was first reportedly injured and out, and then ranked ahead the day before Aldo himself formally confirmed he was out? Sure. Frankie was #1 for 1 day by the time Conor/Mendes was announced.

But obviously the pick for the replacement occurred, if an injury occurred let alone when it did, before then. Which is all while Chad was #1.

In that Frankie had always been ranked below Mendes for months, including when Aldo was first reportedly injured and out, and then ranked ahead the day before Aldo himself formally confirmed he was out? Sure. Frankie was #1 for 1 day by the time Conor/Mendes was announced.

But obviously the pick for the replacement occurred, if an injury occurred let alone when it did, before then. Which is all while Chad was #1.
note by the 24th the latest he was already officially on standby as the replacement fighter.

note by the 24th the latest he was already officially on standby as the replacement fighter.

Exactly. And it's only the June 29th rankings that moved Frankie to #1. Mendes was the #1 contender when they decided on needing a replacement fighter. Of course they went with him over Frankie. Mendes had been #1 since the March 16 rankings, and in the meantime he'd KO'd #4 Lamas while Frankie decisioned unranked Faber who was coming up from BW. How could anybody have predicted that Frankie would inexplicably go back to #1, a position he hadn't held in 3 months and done nothing to change, the day before Aldo formally pulled out (which was again, 7 days after it was already reported Aldo was injured)?

It's complete BS to shit on McGregor and say it should've been Frankie at the time.

In both of these cases, there were fighters who were in fighting shape and ready to fight Conor when his first opponents fell through. But instead, Dana went out of his way to choose fighters who had not been training/were out of shape, to make Conor look good (obviously Cabo Nate blew up in his face).

Does anyone remember which fighters volunteered who were in fighting shape and ready to go? For the Mendes fight, I believe Frankie Edgar said he was in fighting shape and ready, but Dana turned him down and instead chose an unprepared fighter who almost beat him anyway (until Mendes gassed).

Anyone remember the other fighters who volunteered to step in for each of those fights?

View attachment 715729
Against Mendes, Frankie Edgar was in the gym and said yes... never got a call back.
Against DIaz:
Cowboy called COnor out (he had just beaten the Brazilian Cowboy in seconds - about a week prior, so he was ready and in-shape).
Khabib also called COnor out. He was to fight a month later (don't recall whom) and was in-shape as well.

Conor ignored both guys and selected Cabo DIaz as a replacement.

Exactly. And it's only the June 29th rankings that moved Frankie to #1. Mendes was the #1 contender when they decided on needing a replacement fighter. Of course they went with him over Frankie. Mendes had been #1 since the March 16 rankings, and in the meantime he'd KO'd #4 Lamas while Frankie decisioned unranked Faber who was coming up from BW. How could anybody have predicted that Frankie would inexplicably go back to #1, a position he hadn't held in 3 months and done nothing to change, the day before Aldo formally pulled out (which was again, 7 days after it was already reported Aldo was injured)?

It's complete BS to shit on McGregor and say it should've been Frankie at the time.
Sorry, but it was not for the simple fact that Frankie was at thew gym when they called, while Mendes was out hunting and not training.

The fact you disregard this very important detail shows you have a hidden agenda.

In both of these cases, there were fighters who were in fighting shape and ready to fight Conor when his first opponents fell through. But instead, Dana went out of his way to choose fighters who had not been training/were out of shape, to make Conor look good (obviously Cabo Nate blew up in his face).

Does anyone remember which fighters volunteered who were in fighting shape and ready to go? For the Mendes fight, I believe Frankie Edgar said he was in fighting shape and ready, but Dana turned him down and instead chose an unprepared fighter who almost beat him anyway (until Mendes gassed).

Anyone remember the other fighters who volunteered to step in for each of those fights?

View attachment 715729
In fairness, Chad was one of the very top fighters in the 145 division at the time. BTW I'm not a CM nuthugger and often criticize McGregor and the UFC on Sherdog for all the nonsense and special treatment, but the Mendes fight was just basic circumstances changing and it was next guy up. Mendes was a solid choice who deserved a title shot. Mendes gassed, but those kicks to the midsection had a hand in Mendes gassing and I was rooting for Mendes in that fight.

"The UFC throws a great wrestler with KO power against a striker" - Sherdoggers in hindsight "It's a gimme fight!!!!! :'( ".

No. I'm not a Conor nuthugger, but the dude was game at that time. RDA got injured, Frankie had a groin problem, Aldo said he needed more time, they even considered Faber, but got down to Cowboy and Nate. Nate had a victory over Cowboy and he cut the best promo on the Conz after beating MJ, so they went with Nate. Pettis was on a 2 fight losing streak, booked for another beating vs Barboza.

Conor would've fought anyone then, his invincibility delusions were off the charts then.
sorry, but then why did he pick Diaz (who was on a boat partying) instead of picking Khabib or Cowboy (who were BOTH in shape and calling him out publicly)?

Sorry, but it was not for the simple fact that Frankie was at thew gym when they called, while Mendes was out hunting and not training.

The fact you disregard this very important detail shows you have a hidden agenda.
again, mendes was training 5 weeks out from the fight expecting to fight conor.

He hadn't fought in two years and casuals had no idea who he was. No way that was happening, regardless of the stylistic advantages he has over Conor. He wasn't even included in most fan polls at the time.
So nate instead? Nate was Canon fodder as far as they were concerned. And fuck polls, ufc doesn't give a shit. If they wanted and if conor wanted they could've taken that. Stop pretending dana white actually listens when it comes to protecting their boi. How many months did it take before they finally allowed khabib vs conor to happen? They honeydicked khabib and the fans collectively despite all the demand that fight had. If they wanted they could've ignored the polls and made that fight. It would generate buzz. The trash talk would be solid and Conor can sell salt to a slug. All this money fight, nate diaz bullshit is nonsense. We both know that he could and still can sell with any dance partner. Also you said his name wasn't on the poll. Of course it wasn't on the poll because the fight was too risky. Come on man let's be real they could've made that fight easily. They just didn't want to. It's all pathetic.

Dana went out of his way...View attachment 715729

Not a Conor fan. Rooted for Mendes and Nate.

But Conor's contracted fights fell through. He didn't have to fight anyone. He held all the cards. Which is actually as it should be.

And let's not forget that Nate laid the groundwork for that fight with his post fight interview after beating MJ. That fight probably made more sense than any other they could have made on that notice.

Mendes was ranked higher than Frankie when Conor decided to take that fight instead of waiting for Aldo. Of course, if he had fought Frankie and won, you would be making a thread about how Conor avoided the higher-ranked opponent.

Nate also called him out and was ranked #5 at lw at the time of the first fight, not to mention he had a win over Cowboy.

I honestly can't tell anymore if guys like you are trolling, or are genuinely this butthurt. Either way, it’s not healthy to hold on to this much hate, let it go.

Whatever Mendes was ranked, was he ready to fight?

Sigh...what are they supposed to say? "Oh well I havent trained in over 6 weeks, Im really out of shape, but hey the UFC offered me 500k on 10 days notice so here I am, maybe I can finish him quick but it doesn't really matter because Im finally getting paid!"

Your revisionist history is fucking retarded.

This. Like Mendes gonna stare at a 500k check and say he isnt ready? That's what the 500k was for...basically hush money. When else has Mendes ever gotten a 500kpayday?

Also, Chad "gassed" nearly the exact same in the Volkanovski fight, but no one ever bitches about that loss being due to a perceived lack of cardio when he had a full camp and it was only 3 rounds.

It was the pressure and damage his opponents were doing to him. Not a lack of cardio.

No matter how you paint it, Chad was NOT in fighting shape. Which is exactly why he was picked.

No matter how you paint it, Chad was NOT in fighting shape. Which is exactly why he was picked.
He had 5 weeks to train. You’re just making up why he was picked. Neither guy was in a camp and then aldo was hurt and mendes started preparing.

Back