Which fighters were ready when Dana chose 10 day camp Mendes and Cabo Nate to fight Conor?

Khabib says hello
He hadn't fought in two years and casuals had no idea who he was. No way that was happening, regardless of the stylistic advantages he has over Conor. He wasn't even included in most fan polls at the time.

Mendes and Frankie were the clear frontrunners to fight for an interim title. Chad was coming off a KO of Lamas and a FOTY with Aldo, while Frankie was coming off an uninspiring performance against Faber. That contributed to Chad being given the shot. It wasn't about giving Conor an easier fight, you conspiracy theorist maniacs. Chad's arguably a tougher matchup in that he's a power wrestler that doesn't need to set up his takedowns with his hands as much as Frankie does. But the most important factor in Chad getting the fight was negotiations. Ali Abdelaziz was negotiating on behalf of Frankie, which makes it even easier to understand why Chad got the shot. He was paid $500k btw.

Diaz and Cerrone were top of the fan polls after RDA got injured. Pettis and Alvarez were others in consideration by fans. I think we can safely say with hindsight that Diaz is the toughest of those four potential matchups for Conor. Meanwhile, Aldo and Frankie both turned down the fight. Diaz was just the clear winner in terms of fan excitement. He'd just come off the MJ victory and the big Conor callout, and like I said, he was comfortably leading the polls.

This argument is disingenious and you know it. You fail to mention that whoever was deserving of the shot, Mendes WASNT READY to fight. He had not been training for a fight, and it clearly showed because he was winning the fight up until he started gassing. So whoever was more deserving of the shot, Edgar was ready while Mendes wasn't, and they still went with Mendes anyway, which was a pretty shity thing to do, all in an effort to try and increase Conor's stock.

"2 Week" was actually 10 days and Mendes hadn't even been training because he was on some sort of hunting trip, lmao. The guy that went 5 rounds with Aldo gassed in about 4 minutes but Conor dick riders somehow think it was Conor that did that.

This argument is disingenious and you know it. You fail to mention that whoever was deserving of the shot, Mendes WASNT READY to fight. He had not been training for a fight, and it clearly showed because he was winning the fight up until he started gassing. So whoever was more deserving of the shot, Edgar was ready while Mendes wasn't, and they still went with Mendes anyway, which was a pretty shity thing to do, all in an effort to try and increase Conor's stock.
It isn't disingenuous. Chad was in shape, and any story to the contrary is just Conor hater-created narrative. He and his camp has said as much. He didn't have a fight camp, but that's all that's true. Chad looked gassed after the first minute. You think this pro athlete was in such bad shape that that'd happen? My point is that he gassed due to Conor's pressure, and the overall pressure of the moment. It was a huge fight. MGM Grand attendance record, record amount of Conor fans, live music, crazy atmosphere. Then Conor in his face from the outset, nonstop pressure. Teeps to the body. Against a muscle-heavy fighter whom you'd expect to gas. Conor was in worse fight shape than Chad, suffering from a major injury, as widely documented. Frankie woulda been the easier fight. It's a joke that Conor gets slack for that fight, when all he deserves is credit.

In both of these cases, there were fighters who were in fighting shape and ready to fight Conor when his first opponents fell through. But instead, Dana went out of his way to choose fighters who had not been training/were out of shape, to make Conor look good (obviously Cabo Nate blew up in his face).

Does anyone remember which fighters volunteered who were in fighting shape and ready to go? For the Mendes fight, I believe Frankie Edgar said he was in fighting shape and ready, but Dana turned him down and instead chose an unprepared fighter who almost beat him anyway (until Mendes gassed).

Anyone remember the other fighters who volunteered to step in for each of those fights?

View attachment 715729
Mendes was ranked higher than Frankie when Conor decided to take that fight instead of waiting for Aldo. Of course, if he had fought Frankie and won, you would be making a thread about how Conor avoided the higher-ranked opponent.

Nate also called him out and was ranked #5 at lw at the time of the first fight, not to mention he had a win over Cowboy.

I honestly can't tell anymore if guys like you are trolling, or are genuinely this butthurt. Either way, it’s not healthy to hold on to this much hate, let it go.

It isn't disingenuous. Chad was in shape, and any story to the contrary is just Conor hater-created narrative. He and his camp has said as much. He didn't have a fight camp, but that's all that's true. Chad looked gassed after the first minute. You think this pro athlete was in such bad shape that that'd happen? My point is that he gassed due to Conor's pressure, and the overall pressure of the moment. It was a huge fight. MGM Grand attendance record, record amount of Conor fans, live music, crazy atmosphere. Then Conor in his face from the outset, nonstop pressure. Teeps to the body. Against a muscle-heavy fighter whom you'd expect to gas. Conor was in worse fight shape than Chad, suffering from a major injury, as widely documented. Frankie woulda been the easier fight. It's a joke that Conor gets slack for that fight, when all he deserves is credit.
Sigh...what are they supposed to say? "Oh well I havent trained in over 6 weeks, Im really out of shape, but hey the UFC offered me 500k on 10 days notice so here I am, maybe I can finish him quick but it doesn't really matter because Im finally getting paid!"

Your revisionist history is fucking retarded.

Sigh...what are they supposed to say? "Oh well I havent trained in over 6 weeks, Im really out of shape, but hey the UFC offered me 500k on 10 days notice so here I am, maybe I can finish him quick but it doesn't really matter because Im finally getting paid!"

Your revisionist history is fucking retarded.
You barely responded to the content in my post. You have no evidence that Chad's camp lied. They didn't say that Chad hadn't had a camp, because they were being positive, and that was fucking obvious. But haters make "no camp" equal "totally out of shape". Respond to the rest of my post. I dunno how you can maintain your opinion with all the evidence that it's wrong. I said this same shit in 2015, so I haven't revised a thing.

mendes was training to fight conor 5 weeks before the fight. he was the official standby fighter and expected to get the call. he was training.

You barely responded to the content in my post. You have no evidence that Chad's camp lied. They didn't say that Chad hadn't had a camp, because they were being positive, and that was fucking obvious. But haters make "no camp" equal "totally out of shape". Respond to the rest of my post. I dunno how you can maintain your opinion with all the evidence that it's wrong. I said this same shit in 2015, so I haven't revised a thing.
How about what I said? Mendes went 5 rounds with Aldo, then gassed himself out in 4 minutes. You think Conor did that? That's what Im talking about, Conor dick riders somehow thinking "Conors pressure" made Chad gas? What pressure? Pressure off his back getting fucking owned the entire first round? Mendes came out dead for the 2nd round, and it had nothing to do with anything Conor did.

Chad was out of shape, as in out of fighting shape, and it showed. Not to mention he only had 10 days, which was guaranteed he spent all of that time just cutting weight so he could get in the cage ... which probably contributed even more to his terrible cardio.

he was training for conor 5 weeks before the fight and he usually has only a 6 week camp.

He got notice 18 days before the fight I believe, definitely not 10.

How about what I said? Mendes went 5 rounds with Aldo, then gassed himself out in 4 minutes. You think Conor did that? That's what Im talking about, Conor dick riders somehow thinking "Conors pressure" made Chad gas? What pressure? Pressure off his back getting fucking owned the entire first round? Mendes came out dead for the 2nd round, and it had nothing to do with anything Conor did.

Chad was out of shape, as in out of fighting shape, and it showed. Not to mention he only had 10 days, which was guaranteed he spent all of that time just cutting weight so he could get in the cage ... which probably contributed even more to his terrible cardio.
he didn't only have 10 days. that's just a lie.

https://www.bjpenn.com/mmanews/buch...ng-mendes-hasnt-see-before-exclusive-189-ufc/

He got kicked in the stomach multiple times, that will wind anyone, try getting kicked in the solar plexus multiple times and see how your gas tank is.

Frankie Edgar who is always in shape and was ranked higher than Chad REALLY wanted the Conor fight.
Very convenient I know

False.

Chad likewise said he was in shape and training to be the replacement, and Chad was ranked higher than Frankie when Aldo was first reportedly out on June 23.

upload_2020-1-23_11-46-38.png

Aldo then refused to officially pull out for another 7 days until June 30, by which time yes Frankie was now for some reason ranked ahead despite not having fought or anything.

upload_2020-1-23_11-49-0.png

Mendes had always been ranked ahead prior to this, and was ahead when it first became known Aldo was likely out.

It isn't disingenuous. Chad was in shape, and any story to the contrary is just Conor hater-created narrative. He and his camp has said as much. He didn't have a fight camp, but that's all that's true. Chad looked gassed after the first minute. You think this pro athlete was in such bad shape that that'd happen? My point is that he gassed due to Conor's pressure, and the overall pressure of the moment. It was a huge fight. MGM Grand attendance record, record amount of Conor fans, live music, crazy atmosphere. Then Conor in his face from the outset, nonstop pressure. Teeps to the body. Against a muscle-heavy fighter whom you'd expect to gas.

Also, Chad "gassed" nearly the exact same in the Volkanovski fight, but no one ever bitches about that loss being due to a perceived lack of cardio when he had a full camp and it was only 3 rounds.

It was the pressure and damage his opponents were doing to him. Not a lack of cardio.

Holy fuck lol, did either of these guys say they weren't ready before the fight? Mendes claimed to be in great shape and then afterwards said he wasn't. Nate was the most popular option, he's the one that talked shit on Fox and and got people talking. There were polls and Nate was the most popular option by far, they chose the fight the fans wanted.

Mendes and Frankie were the clear frontrunners to fight for an interim title. Chad was coming off a KO of Lamas and a FOTY with Aldo, while Frankie was coming off an uninspiring performance against Faber. That contributed to Chad being given the shot. It wasn't about giving Conor an easier fight, you conspiracy theorist maniacs. Chad's arguably a tougher matchup in that he's a power wrestler that doesn't need to set up his takedowns with his hands as much as Frankie does. But the most important factor in Chad getting the fight was negotiations. Ali Abdelaziz was negotiating on behalf of Frankie, which makes it even easier to understand why Chad got the shot. He was paid $500k btw.

Diaz and Cerrone were top of the fan polls after RDA got injured. Pettis and Alvarez were others in consideration by fans. I think we can safely say with hindsight that Diaz is the toughest of those four potential matchups for Conor. Meanwhile, Aldo and Frankie both turned down the fight. Diaz was just the clear winner in terms of fan excitement. He'd just come off the MJ victory and the big Conor callout, and like I said, he was comfortably leading the polls.
This deserves more likes. I remember Khabib was on one of the polls as well and had basically no votes yet some fans still elected to say Conor was ducking Khabib by picking Nate...

Also, Chad "gassed" nearly the exact same in the Volkanovski fight, but no one ever bitches about that loss being due to a perceived lack of cardio when he had a full camp and it was only 3 rounds.

It was the pressure and damage his opponents were doing to him. Not a lack of cardio.
Nah, he was gassed at the end of Rd. 1. And post-USADA aging Chad against a killer like Volk is a little different too.

Back