which champion fight was more competitive, machida vs weidman or jones vs cormier

DC didn't wait til the fight was halfway over to mount any offense.

Neither fight was terribly close on the scorecards. Machida did nothing for 3 rounds then tried to turn it on too late and took a round.

DC took the second and was competitive the first 3 rounds and then faded as the body shots and Jones leaning on him wore him down.

Both were really easy to score 4-1 for the champs.

Machida came closer to having Weidman in trouble, DC was more competitive in a few of the rounds he lost. Take your pick I guess.

I came in to say something like this. Weidman was probably hurt worse than Jones was, but he didn't give up as much control during the bout, if that makes sense.

No doubt Machiad, he was actually starting to get better. DC looked like he stpped in quicksand and by the end had sunk to far. He just had to get one takedown for his own moral victory. Machida was still in it and going to win it if it were a 7 round fight.

Well Weidman would have finished him if only he were allowed to use a baseball bat. Those pesky rules.

The Machida fight left a much better taste in mouth as being a good fight because it got more competitive as it went along, not less.

DC never had Jones in trouble. Not once. Machida rocked Weidman and hurt the body. So the answer is obvious.

Jones vs dc. It (machida vs weidman)kind of went in reverse in a way cos the winner gassed and challenger couldn't catch.up in time

The winner gassed which is why he still won the fifth round.

Aldo/Mendes 2
Jones/Gus
GSP/Hendricks
Rousey/Davis...hahaha

Why is Vitor's name not on here? He was the closest to beating Jones and he had a broken hand.

Vitor almost tore his arm off of his body.

People forget that for some strange reason. Bones showed incredible heart in not tapping in that fight.

Its funny cuz DC came out strong in the first and second round; whereas, Machida turned it up the 4th and 5th rounds.

But to answer your q, I thought Machida weidman was more competitve. 'Chida had weidman in a couple of bad spots.

Its funny cuz DC came out strong in the first and second round; whereas, Machida turned it up the 4th and 5th rounds.

But to answer your q, I thought Machida weidman was more competitve. 'Chida had weidman in a couple of bad spots.

I agree, but I feel like Machida was more outclassed than DC was. It would be really interesting to see how three round fights would play out in both cases.

DC/bones was much much more competitive.. the 4th round swayed everyones opinion on the fight, first 2 rounds were close then DC took the 3rd impressively and bones took the 4th impressively then the 5th was close as well. Good win by the champ but the fight was close

Why is Vitor's name not on here? He was the closest to beating Jones and he had a broken hand.

Vitor almost tore his arm off of his body.

People forget that for some strange reason. Bones showed incredible heart in not tapping in that fight.

No one has forgotten it. No one.
But it was not a competitive fight.

I think both fights were fairly competitive, although I think Machida/Weidman went much harder overall than Jones/Cormier. Jones/Cormier championship rounds paled in comparison to Machida/Weidman championship rounds.

DC/Jones. Machida won the 4th round, that was it, he never "rocked" Weidman, he threw everything at him in that flurry for sure but Weidman was never close to being done.

Jones v DC was closer round by round and overall but i reckon Machida had the potential to make his the more competitive fight. in rematches i'd favour Machida over DC in claiming their respective belts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rank Wang
Back