which champion fight was more competitive, machida vs weidman or jones vs cormier

heavenly kaghan

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Both were close to superfights and the champ was heavily tested. There was great hype built in both and both champs retained the title.

Both fights were competitve and fun to watch, but I have to go with Weidman/Machida.

Machida/Weidman probably. Machida had Weidman in more trouble than Cormier had Jones.

Both fights were competitve and fun to watch, but I have to go with Weidman/Machida.
This. Weidman/Machida was very close and Chris had to dig deep to win it. Jones never was in the amount of trouble Chris was at one point. I thought that Machida was going to KO Chris at one point because Chris looked spent and rocked.

Both 49-46 fights that were closer than the score would have you think.

And yes, I am aware that the three judges for the Weidman-Machida fight were all over the map, but 49-46 was the most sensible score.

Neither fight was terribly close on the scorecards. Machida did nothing for 3 rounds then tried to turn it on too late and took a round.

DC took the second and was competitive the first 3 rounds and then faded as the body shots and Jones leaning on him wore him down.

Both were really easy to score 4-1 for the champs.

Machida came closer to having Weidman in trouble, DC was more competitive in a few of the rounds he lost. Take your pick I guess.

Both 49-46 fights that were closer than the score would have you think.

And yes, I am aware that the three judges for the Weidman-Machida fight were all over the map, but 49-46 was the most sensible score.

I would have to rematch it but I recall 48-47 being a more believable score IMO. It has been a while and like I said I would have to rematch it.

Jones vs dc. It (machida vs weidman)kind of went in reverse in a way cos the winner gassed and challenger couldn't catch.up in time

wtf

jones dc without a doubt

Machida v weidman was better IMO
Both close fights but machida had
Weidman in spots of trouble late. At no
Point in JBJ v DC was the champ in any
Trouble, DC competitive but didn't put
JBJ in any real danger...

This. Weidman/Machida was very close and Chris had to dig deep to win it. Jones never was in the amount of trouble Chris was at one point. I thought that Machida was going to KO Chris at one point because Chris looked spent and rocked.

this.

Machida had Weidman in more trouble, DC vs Jones had more close rounds.

Rounds 1,3,5 were close in DC vs JOnes. Only round 5 was close in Weidman vs Machida.

About the same, 49-46 in a relatively close fight where the champion clearly won

No doubt Machiad, he was actually starting to get better. DC looked like he stpped in quicksand and by the end had sunk to far. He just had to get one takedown for his own moral victory. Machida was still in it and going to win it if it were a 7 round fight.

Machida. He never had Chris in serious trouble but he put him in more danger than DC did Bones.

While I wouldn't tip Machida in a rematch I feel he he has a better shot at beating Chris than Cormier does versus Jon.

Back