Which boxer would've made the best transition to MMA?

s1ncity

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
My pick is Roberto Duran. Iron chin, legendary power, forward pressure and aggressive body punching.

On a side note, I realised that Tommy Hearns fought most of his prime at 147, so making FW with IVs was definitely possible.

Holloway/Conor vs Hearns with TDD would've been amazing.

None.
Its dumb to say "with TDD" when they didnt have it. It's just fantasy talk

Manny pacquiao. Fast, durable, heavy hitter.
ShabbyRealisticGharial-size_restricted.gif

They all could and they all couldn’t.

None stand more than a punchers chance without adding some wrestling/grappling to their game. Any one of them could add wresting/grappling to their game to varying degrees of success.

The ones who had the most success in boxing would likely have had the best chance of being successful in MMA too.

No it isnt. You asked which boxer wouldve made the best transition to mma.

That is not only NOT a yes or no question,but it's also not one you can answer because there is no way to know.
It's about discussing styles and specific attributes that carry over into other fighting styles.

It's about discussing styles and specific attributes that carry over into other fighting styles.
That would have made a better thread title lol

Maybe Lomachenko. Doesn't hide behind the gloves that much. Economic, efficient head movement. Has some experience with wrestling.

I think HW boxers would have the best chance without question- they have the power and speed to knock people out easily, and the skill level at HW is way lower. At lower weight classes the skill level and athleticism is far higher and would be hard to bridge, Manny and the rest would never be able to train to a level where they could stop a guy like Khabib.

With 6-months sprawl training I would have to go with James Toney, but you would have to keep him away from the buffet and room service for the duration of sprawl & brawl training. And with the addition of an all-meat carnivorous diet... even more deadly sprawl explosiveness me thinks.

Mike Tyson by far.

Mike Tyson quote
“I don’t know what I would do in the UFC because I watched the UFC a couple of times, and I watched these guys step on people’s feet,” Tyson said. “And I have the worst feet in the world. And if somebody steps on my feet, I would totally tap out. I would just give up, it would be a no-brainer.”

Mike Tyson by far.

This is the only answer

He was built for power and explosion

With his athleticism and stocky build/low centre of gravity, I imagine he would take to wrestling like a fish to water

Mike Tyson was a freak and learned a high level of boxing in a couple of years

The progress he made from 13 to 15 was exceptional

A 21-22 year old Tyson with a solid year or two mma cross training would be a scary animal

Mike Tyson quote
“I don’t know what I would do in the UFC because I watched the UFC a couple of times, and I watched these guys step on people’s feet,” Tyson said. “And I have the worst feet in the world. And if somebody steps on my feet, I would totally tap out. I would just give up, it would be a no-brainer.”
He's humble as hell and has a great sense of humour. His boxing style and his athletic attributes would make him a nightmare to deal with, with 4oz gloves. Imagine an even scarier version of Rumble.

This is the only answer

He was built for power and explosion

With his athleticism and stocky build/low centre of gravity, I imagine he would take to wrestling like a fish to water

Mike Tyson was a freak and learned a high level of boxing in a couple of years

The progress he made from 13 to 15 was exceptional

A 21-22 year old Tyson with a solid year or two mma cross training would be a scary animal
Hit the nail on the head. His ability to close distance and land powershots was extraordinary to say the least. Imagine him doing that with 4oz gloves. He would be an even scarier version of Rumble and many fights would look like the Bader fight, guys shooting in from a mile away due to fear.

With 6-months sprawl training I would have to go with James Toney, but you would have to keep him away from the buffet and room service for the duration of sprawl & brawl training. And with the addition of an all-meat carnivorous diet... even more deadly sprawl explosiveness me thinks.

And keep him away from Randy Couture too?
Or do you think that 6 months training gets him into the 2nd round?

Back