• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Where's all the Tyson Fury haters now?

I do think he'd be ranked about 5th on everyones list even if it's because people aren't aware of all the older champs. He'd be where Marciano is. I think Marciano is usually about 5th. Hes not the 5th best HW champ either but because hes undefeated he is boosted.

Marciano struggled to beat old champs who weren't good enough to be champs in their physical prime and beat Louis when he was 37. Hes got a few other solid wins Rex Layne might be the GOAT to never get a title shot but for pre alphabet era ATG resume Marcianos resume is pretty light. Fury actually has more lineal title defenses(7) than Marciano(6) by at least 1(if you count the 10 rounders its 3). Marciano has more impressive pre title fights but if Marcianos resume is deeper than Furys it's close especially if Fury beats Usyk. People mock Furys level of competition because he avoided AJ and Usyk but it's worth noting Furys 12 round title opponents are 14-1 after fighting him.
If people rating Fury Top 5 aren't aware of the older champs then there's really no point in them rating anybody in the all-time heavyweight rankings. Fury has retired several times so he'd be credited with less than 7 lineal title defenses. Not to mention most of them aren't even notable. He only has 3 WBC title defenses. Usyk has only had a handful of fights at the weight and he already has 2 defenses as a unified champion. The Top 5 ATGs had proper title reigns whether that was a single unbroken run or multiple reigns. Fury hasn't.

Lmao don’t tell me you actually believe that crock of shit. This is the guy who is notorious for sabotaging fights and being completely unreasonable/difficult to negotiate with - dodged Wlad rematch, dodged Anthony Joshua after he got his bluff called, dodged Usyk twice despite everything being in his favor. This guy isn’t some big brain, long term thinking business man lol, he changes his mind more than he changes clothes.

lol bitter. He beat wlad the first time. Joshua can’t even fight wilder because hearn doesn’t think he’s ready and he wants us to watch Dillion and Joshua again

If you think it's unfair to compare the current HW era to the 70s or 90s then that's fine. Even the heavyweight division in the 80s had a deeper talent pool. Slow & plodding punching bags like Joe Joyce wouldn't have been a top contender. Right now a blown up cruiserweight is arguably the top heavyweight. That says a lot about the depth of talent in the division. My point is that Fury doesn't have the resume to be rated as an ATG. His resume is extremely thin. If he beats Usyk then that's a good start but he's got a ways to go. There just aren't enough high value scalps at heavyweight for him to catch up to the past ATGs. Look at all of the HOFers and ATGs that those guys beat.

The 70s and the 90s were strong. The 80s were extremely weak, the 2000s were extremely weak. This era is pretty good

The 70s and the 90s were strong. The 80s were extremely weak, the 2000s were extremely weak. This era is pretty good
This era is pretty good compared to the 80s? It's the other way around. Let's see how many hall of famers this era produces. Expect it to be less than there were back then.

people were saying the 90's was weak at the time. the 80's were weak but the raw talent was actually quite high, the coke era decimated what could have been a really good era and also ruined many, many fighters in other divisions. Even golden boy Ray Leonard was somewhat of a cokehead and even rumors of the hyperdisciplined Hagler were out there too. Never will understand why people can't tell someone else to go to hell when they are offered some bullshit like that but it's so common in all lifestyles.

He's a prizefighter first and foremost.

Hopefully you will gain some admiration after Fury actually fights Usyk.

And if he beats Usyk, maybe you will start respecting him as an all time great.

This isn’t the UFC you don’t get to all time great status by beating an old Wald , a very dangerous but very limited Wilder , and one great in his prime fighter like Usyk.

If Fury wants to be an ATG he’ll need to clean out his division or at least beat a few of the best. So far Otto and Wilder are the only active fighters in the top 10 that’s he’s beaten.

Currently all Fury has done is hold up the division, avoid competition even against people he should beat (like AJ) and slowly kill a division that actually has some decent fighters in it.

lol bitter. He beat wlad the first time. Joshua can’t even fight wilder because hearn doesn’t think he’s ready and he wants us to watch Dillion and Joshua again

He can't fight wilder because wilders never agreed to fight him, he fought fury instead for less money and no undisputed, which is common knowledge. Ironically he didn't take anywhere near the grief Fury has for not unifying with Usyk though it isn't really any different. Did Wilder or his manager do anything to try and set up the recent fight? No, so why is the fight not happening just down to Joshua/hearn. haters gonna hate

Fury has blatantly ducked him as per what we saw this time last year and has since lost pretty much his whole fan base because of his antics. All of us on here know the background so there's no point in trying to re-write history

He can't fight wilder because wilders never agreed to fight him, he fought fury instead for less money and no undisputed, which is common knowledge. Ironically he didn't take anywhere near the grief Fury has for not unifying with Usyk though it isn't really any different. Did Wilder or his manager do anything to try and set up the recent fight? No, so why is the fight not happening just down to Joshua/hearn. haters gonna hate

Fury has blatantly ducked him as per what we saw this time last year and has since lost pretty much his whole fan base because of his antics. All of us on here know the background so there's no point in trying to re-write history

unfortunately it’s not common knowledge, because it was known that Eddie pushed for years a flat fee to wilder saying 20 mill is more than he’s ever made.

Hearn still pushing Joshua as a prospect since ruiz knocked him out. He’s terrified

This era is pretty good compared to the 80s? It's the other way around. Let's see how many hall of famers this era produces. Expect it to be less than there were back then.

Tyson, Joshua, ruiz, Usyk, zhang, wilder.

that’s a pretty solid bunch for this era. Who did we have in the 80s? Cooney? Holmes, Tyson?

Tyson, Joshua, ruiz, Usyk, zhang, wilder.

that’s a pretty solid bunch for this era. Who did we have in the 80s? Cooney? Holmes, Tyson?
I already covered who we had earlier in this thread. There were even a bunch of names that I left out (Cooney was one of them). This HW era isn't terrible but back in the 80s, though it was considered a weak era, we still had several big names and plenty of talent compared to today. Amateur boxing was also in a much healthier state back then. Nowadays it's not very healthy and the depth of talent isn't what it once was.

I already covered who we had earlier in this thread. There were even a bunch of names that I left out (Cooney was one of them). This HW era isn't terrible but back in the 80s, though it was considered a weak era, we still had several big names and plenty of talent compared to today. Amateur boxing was also in a much healthier state back then. Nowadays it's not very healthy and the depth of talent isn't what it once was.

foreman was technically trash and he’s praised because he was powerful with a hood chin.

Ali had very little fundemantals and relied on his speed

foreman was technically trash and he’s praised because he was powerful with a hood chin.

Ali had very little fundemantals and relied on his speed
Accomplishments are what matter fundamental deficiencies aside. Both were also Olympic champions before they had their legendary pro careers. They're not the only all-time greats to have flaws. Find me one that doesn't.

Accomplishments are what matter fundamental deficiencies aside. Both were also Olympic champions before they had their legendary pro careers. They're not the only all-time greats to have flaws. Find me one that doesn't.

I agree, I just find it ridiculous when I hear people romanticize the era thinking todays fighters couldn’t make it.

Usyk is 6-3 220. He would be a large heavyweight in the 70s. Ali was 6-3 209 in his prime. Foreman was 6/3-6/4 225.

Usyk is far superior to both technically.

tyson fury is 6-7 280 and is technically far superior to both.

I agree, I just find it ridiculous when I hear people romanticize the era thinking todays fighters couldn’t make it.

Usyk is 6-3 220. He would be a large heavyweight in the 70s. Ali was 6-3 209 in his prime. Foreman was 6/3-6/4 225.

Usyk is far superior to both technically.

tyson fury is 6-7 280 and is technically far superior to both.
I think Fury & Usyk would've done fine in any heavyweight era. Wilder's fundamentals are poor but he's a dynamite puncher. He'd always have a real puncher's chance in there against anyone.

I think Fury & Usyk would've done fine in any heavyweight era. Wilder's fundamentals are poor but he's a dynamite puncher. He'd always have a real puncher's chance in there against anyone.

I think wilder combo of height, reach length and the speed of his punches makes him hard

I think wilder combo of height, reach length and the speed of his punches makes him hard
With his explosive one-punch power and having that much range at his disposal, yeah. He could be getting his ass kicked and erase all of that with a single well-placed shot. For as poor as Wilder is fundamentally he always lands his signature right hand. He's able to time opponents regardless.

• He DID duck Usyk until the Saudis offered him oil money
  • He hasn't fought Usyk yet
  • He isn't "one of the GOAT boxers" as he only has one top win on his resume and that's Wilder
  • Expected piss poor thread from troll who thought Jake Paul could be a world champ
Cold post.. lol

I think Fury & Usyk would've done fine in any heavyweight era. .
Yes.
Also earlier HW eras were with smaller size boxers and .....rumours about Usyk doesn't have power are a bit exaggerated if bear in mind who he wasn't able to finish....if to look on their resumes.. ......

For example the same Hunter. Then undefeated prospect. Povetkin wasn't capable to finish him. And Pov old over the hill shill version had delivered real concussion to an elephant in White...
Then if to lurk on other opponents ...
The same Gassiev ...no one had finished him ....Briedis...the same story...
Glowacki then was in his physical and mental prime...sorry, a bit larger than some older eras HW boxers.
If Usyk then had bums in the ring instead these .... then for sure had high KO %....
Also Usyk had very good gas tank so 15 rounders era not likely had been problem for him.

Fury beats usyck easily in 7 rds or less. A more competitive fight would be usyck vs Ruiz .

Fury beats usyck easily in 7 rds or less. A more competitive fight would be usyck vs Ruiz .
We had to read during 3 1/2 years from Fury fans how easy Fury will beat A.J, Usyk etc.
BTW don't be delusional, Usyk hits harder than Cunningham, is more mobile than Wallin and definitely will be easy to hit properly.LOL.

While Ruiz ....
Ruiz is leg lazy....therefore Usyk IF in good shape and will not attempt to go for KO...will outpoint Ruiz.
BTW like then slowed down lazy Klit didn't managed to land normally on then in prime shape Fury...while Fury too did almost nothing ...he was more active and therefore get deserved win then.

Back