Where would Roy Jones Jr. be ranked if he would’ve retired after the...

I think roy looked worse than just about any great fighter I can think of, Ali looked awful for the last five years of his career but he didn't look as helpless as roy, my mentor once said that Duran embarrassed himself the way he fought in his forties but he looked ok to me, Sugar Ray Leonard looked decent but completely out of shape in his later fights, I don't think any of them looked as mentally or physically shot as Roy did after Tarver. they say that fighters can't pull the trigger, and i don't understand why a fighter just can't move his goddamned arms but roy was a perfect case of that, particularly against Hopkins the second time. All he did was pose and pretend like he was in a fight most of the time. I don't get it, fighters lose but you can at least go down throwing.

I think roy looked worse than just about any great fighter I can think of, Ali looked awful for the last five years of his career but he didn't look as helpless as roy, my mentor once said that Duran embarrassed himself the way he fought in his forties but he looked ok to me, Sugar Ray Leonard looked decent but completely out of shape in his later fights, I don't think any of them looked as mentally or physically shot as Roy did after Tarver. they say that fighters can't pull the trigger, and i don't understand why a fighter just can't move his goddamned arms but roy was a perfect case of that, particularly against Hopkins the second time. All he did was pose and pretend like he was in a fight most of the time. I don't get it, fighters lose but you can at least go down throwing.

Maybe @sweetviolenturg can provide some more insight but yes you hear all the time how older fighters can’t pull the trigger anymore. I remember screaming at my TV at fighters like Holyfield and Toney that didn’t even throw anything when there was a clean opening where they would’ve landed a nasty two punch combo several years earlier. I think nearly all of it has to do with their reflexes being shot. Super sad watching a diminished fighter who was once great.

Back