Where would Roy Jones Jr. be ranked if he would’ve retired after the...

StewDogg11

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
first Tarver fight? What if he would’ve taken the Lennox Lewis route and retired after a somewhat controversial win when he realized he didn’t really have “it” any more? Top 5 all-time? Top 10 all-time? Regardless it’d be a lot higher than he’s regarded these days and he wouldn’t have been a literal punchline in a rap song like he was at the expense of Fat Joe.

Last edited:
Prime RJJ is imo the greatest boxer to ever step into a ring.

At his best, there is no one who could ever beat him in his weight class.

In my opinion ofcourse

The same place he ranks now.

Please expound. You don’t think he’d be looked at in a better light if he retired with a single loss on his record? Which was a DQ he avenged via knockout. As opposed to the 9 he has now which include multiple brutal knockouts.

first Tarver fight? What if he would’ve taken the Lennox Lewis route and retired after a somewhat controversial win when he realized he didn’t really have “it” any more? Top 5 all-time? Top 10 all-time? Regardless it’d be a lot higher than he’s regarded these days and he wouldn’t have been a literal punchline in a rap song like he was at the expense of Fat Joe.
Fat Joe & Roy had a past ‘beef’ which is surely responsible for it. Fat Joe is a talentless hack anyway and only famous because he was Big Pun's sidekick.

Fat Joe & Roy had a past ‘beef’ which is surely responsible for it. Fat Joe is a talentless hack anyway and only famous because he was Big Pun's sidekick.

Even so “TS I’m bringing the team back/Even Roy Jones was forced to Lean Back” is a clever line that could’ve been avoided if would’ve retired after the first Tarver fight. But I heard there was a scuffle in a club regarding that line after the fact. Never heard of them having beef prior to that.

Also Fat Joe made his debut long before Big Pun did. Hell Big Pun made his debut on Fat Joe’s second album. Him being famous had nothing to do with Big Pun.

Last edited:
Even so “TS I’m bringing the team back/Even Roy Jones was forced to Lean Back” is a clever line that could’ve been avoided if would’ve retired after the first Tarver fight. But I heard there was a scuffle in a club regarding that line after the fact. Never heard of them having beef prior to that.

Also Fat Joe made his debut long before Big Pun did. Hell Big Pun made his debut on Fat Joe’s second album. Him being famous had nothing to do with Big Pun.
He reached superstardom with Big Pun commercially. Of the Terror Squad the most well known member at the time was Big Pun. Nobody gave a shit about Fat Joe until Big Pun passed. I was around then to know.

Fat Joe did some ok stuff with the D and D lot, but Big Pun was way advanced of him.

in most great fightes cases, the fall is usually ignored, but in roy's case, I think there is no way he'd be seen as he was at his best after those terrible losses. No way, just isn't possible, Ali, leonard, robinson, louis lost, and lost by kayo at different points but never looked as helpless as roy did, and that's saying something, then there is the issue of Roy never having the nemesis' that all other great fighters had, all of that put together is why alot of people will just forget about him in the future. Still, he has alot of fans and I am one. There are two fighters who confuse me to no end, Tyson is one and Roy is the other, I really don't know what to do with either in terms of legacy, all I know is that I'm huge fans of both.

He reached superstardom with Big Pun commercially. Of the Terror Squad the most well known member at the time was Big Pun. Nobody gave a shit about Fat Joe until Big Pun passed. I was around then to know.

Fat Joe didn’t even have a Platinum album until Big Pun was long dead which I would consider superstardom but okay. The fact you even you bring up that fatass woman beater in a thread that has literally nothing to do with him says a lot about you.

Last edited:
I remember that big pun documentsry about hitting his wife. Cant believe they put that out.

I think his ideal peak retirement would have been after Ruiz. If he retired post tarver 1 we’d see nothing but ducked the rematch threads.

The post-Tarver days hurt his legacy a bit, but not his ATG status. He's still one of the top dogs.

Fat Joe didn’t even have a Platinum album until Big Pun was long dead which I would consider superstardom but okay. The fact you even you bring up that fatass woman beater in a thread that has literally nothing to do with him says a lot about you.
A lot of people capitalized on Pun's death. Even J-Lo was part of it. As for how he treated women, evidently it didn't bother Fat Joe. He thought the world of the guy and you value his opinion about Roy. What does that say about you?

A lot of people capitalized on Pun's death. Even J-Lo was part of it. As for how he treated women, evidently it didn't bother Fat Joe. He thought the world of the guy and you value his opinion about Roy. What does that say about you?

I really don’t. I stated Roy could’ve avoided being a punchline in a popular rap song if he would’ve retired after the first Tarver fight. Nobody cares about that fat fuck in a thread about Roy Jones Jr. It’s bizarre you even brought Big Pun up in a thread that has nothing to do with him. Move along now.

I think his ideal peak retirement would have been after Ruiz. If he retired post tarver 1 we’d see nothing but ducked the rematch threads.

Nobody really brings up Lewis ducking a Vitali rematch though.

I really don’t. I stated Roy could’ve avoided being a punchline in a popular rap song if he would’ve retired after the first Tarver fight. Nobody cares about that fat fuck in a thread about Roy Jones Jr. It’s bizarre you even brought Big Pun up in a thread that has nothing to do with him. Move along now.
It's no more bizarre than mentioning Biggie when Puff/Diddy is mentioned. Guess what happened when Biggie died? Puff blew up to huge commercial success as an artist like Fat Joe did when Pun died. Gee, must have been a coincidence.

It's no more bizarre than mentioning Biggie when Puff/Diddy is mentioned. Guess what happened when Biggie died? Puff blew up to huge commercial success as an artist like Fat Joe did when Pun died. Gee, must have been a coincidence.

Why are you still talking about your 700 pound man crush in a boxing thread? He’d have had a heart attack just from watching a boxing match.

I love Roy Jones. My favorite boxer growing up. However, I think there something to be said about him not mixing it up with any of the British middle weights / Super Middleweights, Collins or G-man.
His resume is really lacking many of the best names over those eras other than Hopkins & Toney.

Why are you still talking about your 700 pound man crush in a boxing thread? He’d have had a heart attack just from watching a boxing match.
Why do you care so much about a rapper saying something about a boxer in one of their songs? It happens all the time. Did Kellerman's ‘Young Man Rumble’ rap song bother you too? He said Whitaker ‘fucked up’ Chavez. Oh noes!

Back