Where would Roy Jones Jr. be ranked if he would’ve retired after the...

I love Roy Jones. My favorite boxer growing up. However, I think there something to be said about him not mixing it up with any of the British middle weights / Super Middleweights, Collins or G-man.
His resume is really lacking many of the best names over those eras other than Hopkins & Toney.
He was my favorite too growing up (along with Mike) but I agree.

He reached superstardom with Big Pun commercially. Of the Terror Squad the most well known member at the time was Big Pun. Nobody gave a shit about Fat Joe until Big Pun passed. I was around then to know.
One thing I'm wondering is Joe became Fat Joe after gaining weight, or is Fat Joe a different guy than Joe?

Please expound. You don’t think he’d be looked at in a better light if he retired with a single loss on his record? Which was a DQ he avenged via knockout. As opposed to the 9 he has now which include multiple brutal knockouts.

Not to me, or anybody's opinion I care about.

Personally I hold the whole "retiring undefeated" thing against fighters, it exposes the mentality of a quitter. Guys like Roy, Holyfield, Duran etc. who kept fighting WAY past their best do so because they just don't have it in them to quit.. that's the heart of a champion.

Not to me, or anybody's opinion I care about.

Personally I hold the whole "retiring undefeated" thing against fighters, it exposes the mentality of a quitter. Guys like Roy, Holyfield, Duran etc. who kept fighting WAY past their best do so because they just don't have it in them to quit.. that's the heart of a champion.

Wait so you consider guys like Mayweather, Lewis, Marciano, etc. quitters? So Marciano had a quitter’s mentality but no man was actually man enough to make him quit.

Or maybe they held on for so long simply because they needed money. Sorry but I don’t find anything noble about fighting so far past your prime you’re embarrassing yourself. Nobody liked seeing Willie Mays falling down in the outfield.

Wait so you consider guys like Mayweather, Lewis, Marciano, etc. quitters? So Marciano had a quitter’s mentality but no man was actually man enough to make him quit.

Or maybe they held on for so long simply because they needed money. Sorry but I don’t find anything noble about fighting so far past your prime you’re embarrassing yourself. Nobody liked seeing Willie Mays falling down in the outfield.
Except Lewis wasn't undefeated

Except Lewis wasn't undefeated

Obviously. I was more or less using him as an example of a guy who went out on top as opposed to fighting until he was 45 and retiring with 10 or 11 losses which makes him a quitter apparently.

Obviously. I was more or less using him as an example of a guy who went out on top as opposed to fighting until he was 45 and retiring with 10 or 11 losses which makes him a quitter apparently.
Sure you were. That's why you included him in a list with fighters that retired undefeated like Floyd & Marciano. Your secret is safe with me.

Sure you were. That's why you included him in a list with fighters that retired undefeated like Floyd & Marciano. Your secret is safe with me.

Seriously what is wrong with you? Does it make you feel better about yourself to passive aggressively nitpick people’s posts on a message board?

Seriously what is wrong with you? Does it make you feel better about yourself to passive aggressively nitpick people’s posts on a message board?
It isn't nitpicking to point out the fact that Lewis never retired undefeated

Which I responded to and you still felt the need to continue to make snide passive aggressive chippy remarks.
Your response was only intended to perform damage control. Be honest with yourself and the people. No need for this level of butt hurt over a simple correction to one of your posts.

Your response was only intended to perform damage control. Be honest with yourself and the people. No need for this level of butt hurt over a simple correction to one of your posts.

Actually I lumped those three together to contrast fighters he mentioned like Jones Jr., Duran, and Holyfield who fought well past their prime. I guess I should’ve prefaced it with undefeated/fighters who went out on top if that would’ve made you happy. Good day sir you win. I hope you’re happy.

Actually I lumped those three together to contrast fighters he mentioned like Jones Jr., Duran, and Holyfield who fought well past their prime. I guess I should’ve prefaced it with undefeated/fighters who went out on top if that would’ve made you happy. Good day sir you win. I hope you’re happy.
It's not about winning it's about factual correctness

One thing I'm wondering is Joe became Fat Joe after gaining weight, or is Fat Joe a different guy than Joe?
Joe is an r&b singer.
Fat Joe has always been Fat

It wouldn’t change anything in regards to ranking him based on legacy. Would probably affect fantasy match ups, in which case their wouldn’t really be a precedent for beating Roy besides the 1st Target fight.

Dam guys. How about he was good and a freaking blast to watch at his prime.
then he got older, and slower, lost his mojo, ..
It happens to all of us.
And who gives a shit about a bunch of fucking rap “musicians “
Now arguing about Gilmore, or LED Zep, or Miles, or ....
Someone who could make music like RJJ fought. That might be interesting.
dam I’m crabby tonight.

Dam guys. How about he was good and a freaking blast to watch at his prime.
then he got older, and slower, lost his mojo, ..
It happens to all of us.
And who gives a shit about a bunch of fucking rap “musicians “
Now arguing about Gilmore, or LED Zep, or Miles, or ....
Someone who could make music like RJJ fought. That might be interesting.
dam I’m crabby tonight.

What about RJJ’s own music career? For as much criticism as it got I always thought this line was super cool:

“David Telesco now he was really talkin’ some s***/So I beat that n***** a*** with a fractured wrist”

Back