Where do you rank Lennox Lewis among all time HWs?

HBO commentator Larry Merchant said, "He doesn’t have the mentality of a champion. I can hardly believe what I just saw."

IMO Lewis is definitely in the top 5.

We're talking about a master HW technician, supreme athletic ability, capped off with a true mean streak. Lennox could be malicious out there when he wanted to put a hurting on a guy, and that's what you want from your HW champ.

Top 5 for sure, right up there were guys like Ali, Holmes, Louis, etc. Lennox was on the highest level.

Riddick Bowe chose to throw his belt in the garbage rather than fight Lennox.

Ranking Marciano above Ali is literally unjustifiable though

It's a sure sign of a boxing casual, who will often cite the fact that Rocky was undefeated, and sometimes even bring up the computer fight between him and Ali lol

He seemed to have a couple of mental lapses

100%, but we've seen that with a lot of greats (Louis/Schmelling 1 comes to mind).

But I think it says a lot about Lennox that all his losses were BRUTALLY avenged.

100%, but we've seen that with a lot of greats (Louis/Schmelling 1 comes to mind).

But I think it says a lot about Lennox that all his losses were BRUTALLY avenged.

Yeah being undefeated doesn’t mean you were undefeatable. Other than Floyd I can’t think of any undefeated fighter with a stacked record. Most are undefeated because they either didn’t challenge themselves or were not able to due to the competition at their weight/point in time

HBO commentator Larry Merchant said, "He doesn’t have the mentality of a champion. I can hardly believe what I just saw."
which was that? Rahman 1?

I was watching that with a friend and he was saying how Lewis was fighting like a fool like 2 seconds before he got melted.

which was that? Rahman 1?

I was watching that with a friend and he was saying how Lewis was fighting like a fool like 2 seconds before he got melted.

Vitali v Byrd when Vitali quit on the stool with a shoulder injury way ahead on the cards

Top 5. Wins over Tyson, Holyfield, Tua, Vitali, and Morrison.

If he fought and beat Bowe, Byrd, and Wlad, he'd arguably be the GOAT.

Because I have recently seen a lot of people (no on this forum, mind you) that Lewis is a top 10 HW, and even place Holyfield and Tyson above him, which IMO is ridiculous.
for me he was the last great heavyweight. He pretty much beat everyman he face and his only losses were avenged. Those who dont rank him highly are probably bitter vitali klitschko fans

for me he was the last great heavyweight. He pretty much beat everyman he face and his only losses were avenged. Those who dont rank him highly are probably bitter vitali klitschko fans
Wlad is definitely a great heavyweight and will be remembered better in time. Not on the levels of the others but borderline top 10 all time. 2nd most title defenses in history and most unified title defenses. Most wins in hw title fight history and most, beat the most undefeated fighters in his career and beat 12 current or former champions.

So what? Completely immaterial considering he got stopped due to the damage he took.

If you go back and watch the fight again you'll also see the tide had turned. Most of the stitches he needed was in his mouth due to the uppercuts he was eating in the last couple of rounds. Championship boxing isn't over 6 rounds, and Vitali couldn't make it to the 2nd half of the fight. Lewis had 1 foot in retirement, wasn't particularly motivated for the fight, yet still TKOd vitali. And you have him above Lewis?? Like I said its subjective, but your explanation is nonsense. Lewis retired because he had no one else to beat and was at the end of his career anyway. No one believes he retired because he was scared of Vitali
Sounds like excuses.
Who are you trying to convince me or you.

When he was not rakeing the cut with his glove he was holding on for dear life.
The fight was stopped because of a cut over the eye by the doctor.
Lewis retired rather than face Klitchko again.

Vitali looked like he was beat with a 2x4

Larry Merchant sometimes just looks for reasons to shit on someone he doesn't like anyway. That's why Floyd got so mad at him... "No fair shake"...

When Rahman KO'd Lennox, Merchant felt vindicated... Dumbass.

In the post fight interview of the Vitali fight, he was also trying to get to Lennox.

If he fought and beat Bowe, Byrd, and Wlad, he'd arguably be the GOAT.

No reason to include Byrd, who I feel is criminally underrated... But a win over him wouldn't have done THAT much for Lennox.

And no reason to include Wladimir either to be honest... He was a question mark during that time period, getting knocked out by Corrie Sanders and Lamon Brewster. His time hadn't come yet, plus Lennox had beaten the better, tougher Klitschko.

Sounds like excuses.
Who are you trying to convince me or you.

When he was not rakeing the cut with his glove he was holding on for dear life.
The fight was stopped because of a cut over the eye by the doctor.
Lewis retired rather than face Klitchko again.

lol Pot, kettle black pal. I don’t need to make any excuses or justify anything, considering your boy got a tko loss from it. Your clearly still upset crying about ‘raking the cut! He had 60 stitches after the fight, how big do you thing the cut over his eye was. He got stopped because of the damage he took. Bring ahead on the scorecards after 6 rounds of a 12 round fight, makes fck all difference when your too damaged to make the last 6 rounds

lol Pot, kettle black pal. I don’t need to make any excuses or justify anything, considering your boy got a tko loss from it. Your clearly still upset crying about ‘raking the cut! He had 60 stitches after the fight, how big do you thing the cut over his eye was. He got stopped because of the damage he took. Bring ahead on the scorecards after 6 rounds of a 12 round fight, makes fck all difference when your too damaged to make the last 6 rounds
The doctor stopped the fight because of the cut over the eye, it was bad.
You are fake news.

Number 5 imo

Ali
Louis
Holmes
Foreman
Lewis
Rocky

I watched Lewis vs Briggs yesterday. That was a very impressive fight for Lewis. Briggs was jacked and super aggressive but Lewis fought very well. I don't know how to rank the division but I agree with people putting him in the 3-5 range.

It's a sure sign of a boxing casual, who will often cite the fact that Rocky was undefeated, and sometimes even bring up the computer fight between him and Ali lol

I thought so until I took the time to watch and study Marciano. He is also a once ever Fighter. I dont think anyone ever trained as hard and was as tough as him. Casual is more to talk down on him. Same happens with Dempsey a lot.

I would not count out Marciano against anyone especially in 15 rounds but Lewis would have been a bad matchup. Someone like Wladimir would have folded bad against him.

I really recommend to study him without prejudice.

Back