Where do you rank Lennox Lewis among all time HWs?

Pirao

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Because I have recently seen a lot of people (no on this forum, mind you) that Lewis is a top 10 HW, and even place Holyfield and Tyson above him, which IMO is ridiculous.

Middle top 5 but there is a good thread about HW boxers below.

I think skill wise he is definately top 5. He seemed to have a couple of mental lapses, but when he was in shape physically and mentaly there wasn't anyone in his generation that could hang with him.

I put him the top5, but still think Ali out box him to a UD.

In terms of accomplishments, somewhere around 3rd HW all time. In terms of skills, attributes, and what he brought to the ring, I'd take a prime Lewis to beat any HW in boxing history.

Thanks for the comments guys, I thought I had gone crazy after reading all that shit lol.

In terms of accomplishments, somewhere around 3rd HW all time. In terms of skills, attributes, and what he brought to the ring, I'd take a prime Lewis to beat any HW in boxing history.

I agree.

edit: oh snap black belt.

When Lewis defeated Klitschko he was very unconvincing and the reason he won was a fight stopped by a cut on Klitschko.........Lewis at the time was behind on points

Lewis was a great fighter in top 10 but not in top 5

Lewis was fat and out if shape in the Klitschko fight, he dominated the 6th round before the stoppage and had Vitali in more trouble in that round than he's been in his whole career!!! Also those cuts were brutal, the worst I've ever seen, and they were caused by punches not headbuts or grazing blows so the stoppage is as justifiable as any, the controversy lies in refusing the rematch...... I ask you this if you were 38 years old and in your previous fight had the biggest win of your career why would you come out of retirement to fight and beat a man you already beat that would do nothing for your career???

Lennox Lewis beat every big name of his generation and also stopped the biggest current threat when he was an old man!

The biggest names of the 90's were Bowe, Holyfield, Tyson and Lewis and Lewis KO'd Tyson, dominated Holyfield in a BS draw and later won a hard fought UD and TKO'd Bowe in the Olympics and forced Bowe to surrender his title to him as a Pro when he was too afraid to fight Lennox........ Definitely Top 5

For me it goes
1.Ali
2.Louis
3.Holmes
4.Foreman
5.Lewis

Lennox fought Tyson WAYYYYYYYYYYYY below his best

He was also unimpressive in other fights like Tua.

If you look at the youtube he certainly wasn't fat and out of shape against Klitscko.

Great fighter but not top 5 ..........gets in the top 10

Seeing as you're clearly a Tyson fan who's Tyson's 2nd best win??? I think his best win would unanimously be Spinks and second would also unanimously be Larry Holmes! Tyson was no further out of his Prime come his loss to Lewis than Holmes was to Tyson so please don't downplay that win!

And if you instead of watching YouTube looked into the history of what kind of weight and body type Lewis normally sported going into big fights you'd see just how lazy he was in his training for Kirk Johnson who wouldve been an easy win but pulled and was replaced with Klits 3 weeks out....... this also poses little relavence as Lewis WON against Vitali

Also how wa he unimpressive against Tua??? Because he dominated him and won every round, or damn near?

Is it because he was unable to KO a human bowling ball that nobody else has KO'd........ Or am I missing something

Somehow Lennox Lewis is always #4 on Boxrec. The guys above or below him change but he is #4 whenever I check. That is where I would rank him.

Top 5
(1.) Joe Louis
(2.) Muhammad Ali
(3.) Larry Holmes (Could make an argument for Lennox here)
(4.) Lennox Lewis
(5.) Jack Johnson

Lennox Lewis beat every big name of his generation and also stopped the biggest current threat when he was an old man!

Riddick Bowe?

I know it's Bowe's fault but I think he would have gotten Lewis.

Larry Holmes could not put away a 35 year old Ken Norton in 1978 to win the title
Holmes was 29 and in his prime.......he won by SPLIT decision over 15 rounds

Holmes was great but never fought the best in their prime
Lewis is like Holmes ..great fighters that were fortunate they never had to fight the BEST in their prime

Best were below who would of beaten Holmes and Lewis

Ali
Joe Louis
Tyson
Foreman
Frazier
Ken Norton

Tyson is not a top 5 hw, probably not even top 10. Buster Douglas , Danny Williams, and the other dude i can't evenn remeber his name from Tysons last fight, never mind the beatings he took from Holyfield and Lewis.

A 45 year old George Foreman won the heavyweight title during Lewis' generation.

Riddick Bowe?

I know it's Bowe's fault but I think he would have gotten Lewis.

No, Bowe would have gotten his butt kicked just like Lennox done him in the Olympics. Ducking Lennox was a wise more for Bowe.
[YT]-z7wFR8dJYg[/YT]
See just a butt whipping.

I always thought he was a top ten.

1.Louis
2.Ali
3.Frazier
4.Marciano
5.Foreman
6.Holmes
7.Lewis
8.Johnson
9.Holyfield
10.Walcott

I always have a hard time placing Jack Johnson. Super dark ages of boxing.

Back